Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Sailor Moon OVA

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

OH NO! My name is Molly and there's a monster! Moon _______
Prism Power - Make Up!
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Crystal Power - Make Up!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cosmic Power - Make Up!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Crisis - Make Up!
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Eternal - Make Up!
40%
 40%  [ 4 ]
lol whut?
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Kawaisa Sailor Moon

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:54 pm
Help me fellow Sailor Moon fans! I can't wrap my head around this!
Sailor Moon has spread herself over many media from books to video games. I've personally read the manga and novels, seen all the anime, all of PGSM, several of the musicals, and sadly not the video games for I lack being in Japan X.x
The point is, with all of this success WHY is there no OVA? Everyone knows that the manga and anime are very different, and clash on a few topics. With all of this media and cash-in merchandising (I personally own Sailor Moon dolls :3), why didn't anyone think to make an OVA? Both the anime and manga are adored by the Sailor Moon fanbase and I'm sure an OVA would do amazingly well. If anything it would bring in more of the fan base who perhaps wouldn't want to read the manga or are too young to read it.
This has been bothering me for a long time. Any theories on why this never happened?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 am
Well, Sailor Moon's anime was produced starting in 1992 and it was a nigh-direct adaptation from the manga. I'm not entirely sure if that was the reason, but it's my best theory. I gues Toei Animation didn't see a need for an OVA since they ripped the plot of Sailor Moon from it's original manga.  

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Kawaisa Sailor Moon

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:05 pm
Yes that is all true (1992 was the year I was born, do you think it was destiny? whee ) BUT in the end the anime and manga were being created at the same time. That's why the end of the manga and end of the anime are soooooo different.
Takeuchi-Sama herself was upset with the animators over the starlights and making them men that transform into women. I'm sure there were other things that she was upset about >_>
Think she might have been afraid of people messing up her story again? O.o  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:13 pm
dragon_1212xp
Yes that is all true (1992 was the year I was born, do you think it was destiny? whee ) BUT in the end the anime and manga were being created at the same time. That's why the end of the manga and end of the anime are soooooo different.
Takeuchi-Sama herself was upset with the animators over the starlights and making them men that transform into women. I'm sure there were other things that she was upset about >_>
Think she might have been afraid of people messing up her story again? O.o

It IS true the Starlights always had been women. They dressed as men as an elaborate disguise, considering they were being targeted by Galaxia. The Animators did make quite a few changes to the overall storyline, but it IS interesting how the good parts of the Anime played out... still the Mnaga is better and is the original. Once again, the book is better than the movie (Or T.V. show and Movies in this case)  

Lady Regina Jane
Vice Captain

Fashionable Genius

3,275 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Kawaisa Sailor Moon

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:40 pm
Quote:
It IS true the Starlights always had been women. They dressed as men as an elaborate disguise, considering they were being targeted by Galaxia. The Animators did make quite a few changes to the overall storyline, but it IS interesting how the good parts of the Anime played out... still the Mnaga is better and is the original. Once again, the book is better than the movie (Or T.V. show and Movies in this case)

Agree 100% I find that trend often! Most agree that the manga is better but the anime is more popular, especially now that the manga is out of print emo Which still makes me wonder why there is no OVA! stressed On a related topic, an OVA would (or at least should) include the Sailor V manga which was never officially released in English (to my knowledge). As far as I can tell Sailor V has an awesome following and I'm sure fans would LOVE to see her animated! Myself included!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:56 pm
One might consider PGSM to be an OVA of sorts, considering it adheres a bit more directly to the manga while having direct input from Naoko during the whole process. Yes, the plot is still different, but...it's like Jurassic Park. The book and the movie are radically different, but they were both written by Michael Crichton so it's okay. razz  

Dezte

Fashionable Fatcat

Kawaisa Sailor Moon

Blessed Lover

10,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Signature Look 250
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:16 pm
Quote:
One might consider PGSM to be an OVA of sorts, considering it adheres a bit more directly to the manga while having direct input from Naoko during the whole process. Yes, the plot is still different, but...it's like Jurassic Park. The book and the movie are radically different, but they were both written by Michael Crichton so it's okay. icon_razz.gif

You could see it that way, but the anime was more faithful to the manga in the beginning too. I'm referring more to the end of the series (sorry if I didn't make that clear).

I do get what you're saying, in the beginning it stays faithful for the most part, but like other media there were a lot of things added to PGSM, like Dark Mercury and Metalia Endymion that weren't part of the manga at all. Sadly, it didn't last all the way through the series and ended after Queen Beryl was defeated (give or take a few episodes). Still, later in PGSM began to morph into it's own series itself. I did enjoy PGSM very much and wish there was more, but as an OVA? Personally I just don't see it >.<

If we're going on live action, the first Sera Myu musicals were very identical to the Sailor Moon manga, and it also morphed into it's own thing, adding it's own enemies and, really, entire arcs such as the Dracul arc. Basically, all media of SM has it's own ending and villains D:  
Home

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games