Trick O' Treat! Smell my feet! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JrSuper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:02 pm
October is coming pretty soon xP
Should Chrisitans go trick or treating??
Is it a sin?
My dad forbid me to go trick or treating because it was a time to worship ghosts or something. I'm still unsure about it. :/  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:33 pm

In my research I've heard a lot of different points of view about Halloween. Some say it is pagan in origin (All Hallows Eve) and some say it is Catholic (All Saints Day).

To be truthful, I don't think it necessarily matters. How is it a time to worship ghosts? That was never the thought behind either of side's holiday. Both forms, the pagan and Catholic, involving an honoring of the dead. This is not the same as the worship of ghosts, not by a long shot, though I can see how some might interpret it that way.

I love Halloween. I don't see anything wrong with it. Eating candy and carving pumpkins (jack o lanterns were originally used in the old days as actual lanterns, for light) do not affect my relationship with God in any negative form, nor am I worshiping devils or other gods.

Trick or treating is the same way. You're dressing up in a costume for fun, not because you're worshiping something or even honoring the dead (though I'm sure some do this), and going from door to door getting candy.

So in short, my answer is no. It is not a sin.

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

rosadria
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:38 pm
It might have been Pagan at one point, but like pretty much any other holiday out there, the secular world has had its way with it.

Thus, I have my fun with it. I don't trick or treat anymore, but I do get in my costume and scare the crap out of anyone foolish enough to come near my hiding spot. It's a time for me to hang out with my fiancĂ©, and get to know her family better.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:41 pm
That is the same reason my dad never allowed me to go trick-or-treating when I was younger, because suppoesedly Halloween was part of the occult and satanic influences.

No, trick-or-treating is not a sin! The Scriptures don't preach against it. Christians are perfectly fine with going trick-or-treating if they want.

I loved trick-or-treating and I love taking my daughter around to people we know to trick-or-treat and dressing her up in cute little costumes. It's just a time to have in my opinion. And carving pumpkins is always fun, then roasting the pumpkin seeds (yummy!).  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

xxsoullessANGELUSxx

Dapper Explorer

8,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:48 pm
I don't know what exaclty it used to be, but nowadays it's a cultural part of October. I think it's fun, and I can't WAIT to see what the art college dorms look like as we approach the 31st........ (CAN'T WAIT XD ) but I don't think it's a sin at all. God likes when his kids have fun. :3

I'm with Shadows, pumpkin carving is so much fun!

I've had the tradition of watching Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas ever since I was three, too. ^_^

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:49 pm
Shadows-shine
That is the same reason my dad never allowed me to go trick-or-treating when I was younger, because suppoesedly Halloween was part of the occult and satanic influences.

No, trick-or-treating is not a sin! The Scriptures don't preach against it. Christians are perfectly fine with going trick-or-treating if they want.

I loved trick-or-treating and I love taking my daughter around to people we know to trick-or-treat and dressing her up in cute little costumes. It's just a time to have in my opinion. And carving pumpkins is always fun, then roasting the pumpkin seeds (yummy!).

The Scriptures don't preach against it because trick or treating was not the original concept, silly. razz

But I agree. There's nothing wrong with it. Especially these days. If pagans want to celebrate it their own way, good on them!

Scarlet_Teardrops

Sparkly Genius

tealflower1928

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:24 pm
it is not a sin even though some say it is, there is not one thing about it in the bible. god or jesus would have told us smile oh and this is my last year im aloud to go. next year i have to go to a party or somefing instead cause once i turn 14 (2 days after halloween) theres no more trick or treating for me! im still gonna dress up and eat candy of coarse!!  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:28 pm
If you want to be technical about things, it was originally a pagan festival to celebrate the harvest. In some versions of the mythos, spirits are at their highest power at that point, and in others, it was a time to thank the gods for the food they'd gathered. As Christianity was on the rise, as an effort to bring in pagans, they adopted and varied certain festivals to appeal to a wider audience. The same was done with Christmas, adapted from the Saturnalia festivities, which explains things such as the tree, wreathes, and mistletoe, which have no real religious significance in Christianity. For Halloween, they made it a feast day, All Saints Day, so the original celebration consisting of a massive feast changed in nothing but name.

Or, that's what I'd been taught.  

Fighting Fefnir

Perfect Winner

Lucky-Emi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:11 pm
What does it mean to YOU? If celebrate it to have fun and eat candy, then it's fine. I think it all depends on the intentions you have.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:25 pm
Scarlet_Teardrops
Shadows-shine

The Scriptures don't preach against it because trick or treating was not the original concept, silly. razz

But I agree. There's nothing wrong with it. Especially these days. If pagans want to celebrate it their own way, good on them!

wink I knew that. I was just throwing it out there because the OP asked if it was a sin.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Lord Izaran

6,500 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:34 pm
I have always considered Hallow's Eve to be a day in which we remember the dead. Not quite the way Mexicans do, but to honor and revere the dead.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:23 am
in my opinion it, like christmas, has become so commercialized and altered from its origonal meaning that it isnt limited to any one religion.

for me though i still use it as a religous holiday, probably because of my pagan background but i dont really plan on doing anything that would upset god. the worst thing i plan on doing is just going and visiting some relatives and friends at the cemetary.

i will be putting salt around my windows and doors and maybe make some charms because i do believe thats around the time when spirits get stronger.

as for the un part of the holiday ill probably get my fiance and go to my friends house and scare people while passing out candy. every year we turn her front porch into a mini haunted house. we dont scare litting kids though unless they want to be frightened  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

rosadria
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:30 am
Shanna66

as for the un part of the holiday ill probably get my fiance and go to my friends house and scare people while passing out candy. every year we turn her front porch into a mini haunted house. we dont scare litting kids though unless they want to be frightened

Exactly what I do on Halloween, except we go visit her family up around Conroe. The only part of the holidays I enjoy more is when they start up Christmas carols.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:09 pm
A friend of mine did this video for this season so take a look at it.. He is the grinch and he has an idea... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arl5FqtOfRE  

Nyssa Traken

ii-lunargem-ii

Dangerous Lunatic

6,200 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Brandisher 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:20 pm
Lord Izaran
I have always considered Hallow's Eve to be a day in which we remember the dead. Not quite the way Mexicans do, but to honor and revere the dead.

(this isnt on the subjsct "halloween")

how did u find ur sig(the strawberry poptart one) its funny x3  
~Ancient Scrolls~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas