Welcome to Gaia! ::

RoseSoul Tribe

Back to Guilds

this guild will be a community of RPing, Debate/Discussion, Art/Litterature, Contests and Fellowship. 

Tags: roleplaying, fantasy, contests, music, occult 

Reply RoseSoul Tribe Main Forum
Looking for a lost story...Help me find it? Possible reward!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ScarletFrost
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:39 pm
I'm looking for a story. This story was about a general-store manager who was approached by a stranger to sell instant wisdom, instant beauty, instant genius, and several other things like that. The manager agreed and set up a small display in his shop.

Through the story, one man who was struggling with school bought instant genius and instantly could calculate the trajectory of Pluto, but by the end of the story, he decides that it's better to learn this sort of thing the long way and keep it for life than to have it momentarily.

Also, one woman who wants to be an actress buys instant beauty, and turns into a drop-dead-gorgeous model, but by the end of the story finds a great acting role where she needs her old freckles and red hair again.

Another stranger came to the general store intent on warning the manager about dealing with the first stranger, but the manager insists on having faith in the product.

Then the first stranger comes back with the 2.0 product lineup, including instant pride, instant vanity, and that sort of thing. The store manager stands up to him, and says he can't sell any of the products anymore because no one in town is buying them. When the stranger asks the manager why he can't sell the instant powders, the manager replies that he's been slipping a little instant wisdom into everyone's order, and that they come around to seeing they don't need shortcuts, and didn't the devil outsmart himself by giving him instant WISDOM. The stranger gets mad and attacks the manager, and then the other stranger (who turns out to be an angel) intercedes and saves the manager.

It's an interesting devil's-temptations-thwarted story. I heard it for the first time 8 or 9 years ago, and I haven't been able to find it since. Has anyone else heard this story? Or did I dream it up?

(If I can't find it, I might write it for NaNoWriMo. razz )  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:39 pm
gods, i love the summary of this! i want to read it now!

i don't think i've read this story before, but i do recall that plenty of stories held the same basic plot. it's not uncommon,and i'm pretty sure you have come across this in real life.

could be a Prophetic Dream though. =w= you'll never know.

speaking of such things though, 33 Chilean miners were trapped in a shaft for 69 days, and they made 2 days of rations last for 17 days, before people found them. i dare someone to tell me there is no god! xd  

Chieftain Twilight
Captain

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

ScarletFrost
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:33 pm
I'm still having no luck trying to find it. I'm loosely basing this years NaNo Novel on what I remember, but I'd still rather find the original story.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:04 am
I remember this story... Now I am struggling to remember where it's from.

I read it when I was in Christian school. I will see what I can find.  

Eltanin Sadachbia
Crew

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100

ScarletFrost
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:51 am
Really? OOOHH!! Can you remember the title or anything?  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:01 pm
No... It seems it was in a book of other stories though, like a book of fables...

But then it might have been part of a lesson book too, I have some time this evening though, when I am on for the long haul tonight, I'll do some searching.  

Eltanin Sadachbia
Crew

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100

Eltanin Sadachbia
Crew

Fashionable Nerd

9,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:46 pm
I am looking for it, but I just can't find it. I have to be out at mom's house tomorrow, so I will take time to go through her books then. She has allot of fable and parable books, so I might get lucky.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:04 am
Any luck yet? heart  

ScarletFrost
Vice Captain

RoseSoul Tribe Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out