Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ADVICE
Is it sin? Can I help it?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How many of the "sins" do you think are real sins?
  None of them
  A couple of them
  About half of them
  Most of them
  ALL of them
View Results

Kieran Stag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:23 pm
Questions that have been stabbing at my heart for a while now, but haven't been let out. I've been struggling, not knowing how to ask these questions, so doing it anonymously on the internet is all I can hope for for now. At least until I get up the courage to ask someone in person.

Please answer any of the following, answer if they are a sin, and if they are, please tell me weather or not I can help doing these sins, or if they're just a part of my being.

Is it a sin to...

1. Forget about God when getting caught up in your life?

2. Try ignoring God when he does something that you don't like?

3. Not want to get caught up in the "green" craze, thereby not taking care of God's world?

4. Leave God out of your hobbies and/or plans for the future?

5. Occasionally want to run away from home?

6. Want to play video games rather than go to Church?

7. Keep track of the wrongs people have done to you/ of the wrongs you've done to others?

8. Be obsessed with something other than God? (Not as an idol, but as a time consumer)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 am
1. Forget about God when getting caught up in your life? i believe it is. your life should never be above your love for the lord

2. Try ignoring God when he does something that you don't like? i dont know if i would call it a sin, being stubborn yes. but i think that god understands that we will usually try to ignore the bad things he puts in front of us

3. Not want to get caught up in the "green" craze, thereby not taking care of God's world? i believe that is a sin to not try your hardest to make sure this earth he gave us stays healthy and safe for the rest of his creations

4. Leave God out of your hobbies and/or plans for the future? im not sure if i can answer that one.

5. Occasionally want to run away from home? depends on your reasons i guess. if your running away because of some small arguments and dont try to fix things then i think you should rethink running away.

6. Want to play video games rather than go to Church? putting anything before god is a sin. having said that i spend all day sunday playing games with my fiance because we dont go to church, but im not choosing anything over the lord, i just havent found a church to go to yet. also i dont believe you have to go to church to be a good christian

7. Keep track of the wrongs people have done to you/ of the wrongs you've done to others? the beautiful thing about christianity and one of my favorite things about it is to forgive and love your enemy. dont hold on to grudges, let god take care of it however he wants and pray for forgivness of your own sinning

8. Be obsessed with something other than God? (Not as an idol, but as a time consumer) some obsessions are ok in my mind. as long as your love and dedication for god and christ are above all else in the world then i dont think its a sin

these are all just based on my opinions though so take them how you will  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

rosadria
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 am
Kieran Stag

Dangerous. Will end up being spiritually deadly if left unchecked. Scripture constantly tells us to seek the Lord, to seek His face, to meditate on His words. Pray with out ceasing.

Quote:

It isn't about what you want. It's about what He wants. What you and I want or like is insignificant in the end because our goal in life is to glorify the Lord and serve His will. He is the Master, not us. His will be done.

Quote:
3. Not want to get caught up in the "green" craze, thereby not taking care of God's world?

No. The world was made by Him, yes, but we were given dominion over it. Now, with that said, we should exercise our authority with care. I'm not about to cripple entire industries and eliminate jobs across the board so that the environment will be better, but neither am I going to be driving around in a Hummer just to spite a bunch of hippies.

Quote:
Yes. My comments for question one serve well here, but I'll expand on that. Do you really think you can build a fruitful marriage and family without God? No. Will you be fruitful for the Lord if you're leaving Him out of hobbies and plans? No. You won't.

Quote:

No. I'm sure we've all been there at one point or another. Actually doing it, however, wouldn't fulfill "Honor thy father and thy mother" very well, though. God has you where He wants you for a reason. Stick around, and you might begin to see how you might be able to serve Him amongst your family.

Quote:

No. I'll admit, I'm doing pretty good on MW2 and my latest batch of Pokemon is going to wreck face. However, my obligations are to God. In the next life, it won't matter how many headshots I had in mw2 or how amazing my Metagross is. What will matter is my spiritual life. How much I meditated on God's word, how much time I spent in prayer, how I fellowshipped with my brothers and sisters.
Your walk with the God isn't the most important thing in your life. It's the only important thing. Either you have Him, or you have nothing.

Quote:
7. Keep track of the wrongs people have done to you/ of the wrongs you've done to others?

Yes. He who has been forgiven little loves little. He who has been forgiven of much loves more. Forgive those who sin against you like your Father forgives sins against Him.

Quote:
8. Be obsessed with something other than God? (Not as an idol, but as a time consumer)

As long as God is number one, no matter what, and these other "obsessions" glorify Him and don't cause you to sin / are sin themselves, you're fine.

You [b]always have the choice not to sin. Don't fall into the trap of "oh, I can't do anything about it because it's who I am!" That's a lie. You always always always have the option to do the right thing.

Quote:
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.
1 Cor 10:13 (ESV)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:19 am
Kieran Stag
Questions that have been stabbing at my heart for a while now, but haven't been let out. I've been struggling, not knowing how to ask these questions, so doing it anonymously on the internet is all I can hope for for now. At least until I get up the courage to ask someone in person.

Please answer any of the following, answer if they are a sin, and if they are, please tell me weather or not I can help doing these sins, or if they're just a part of my being.

Is it a sin to...

1. Yes, you are putting things before the Lord (indirectly worshipping other "gods" a violation of one of the ten). Believe me, i' very guilty of this.

2. Yes, however the spirit has a knack for getting us to go along with what the Lord wants no matter how resistant we are

3.Ambiguous, we are called to take care of the earth. However, i'd leave this to someone more qualified (*waits for Scarlet to interject into the thread)

4. Yes. See #1

5. Unknown, see #3

6. See number 1

7. Yes, this is inciting vengeance towards others, un-righteous anger.

Now i'm not 100% certain about this, there are things that we as humans have declared sin (like not attending mass on holy day's of obligation) that tend to disagree with the teachings of the Church Fathers (St. Augustine, St Basil the Great, etc.) and Scripture  

-xAngel of Redemptionx-

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:48 pm
Kieran Stag

Is it a sin to...

So, first of all I think if they are "stabbing at your heart" then you know the answer. Even, in fact, if they were not sins for others, God may be telling you these are things you should work on. James 4:17 tells us "Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."

But, a few details, IMHO.

1. I am not Catholic (I am LDS) BUT here!

2. Proverbs 3: 5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

3. I think it is fine not to get to CRAZY about anything... but not okay not to care for God's world. Energy-saving light bulbs aren't as important as the soul-saving Light of the World BUT we were given stewardship for His creations. So we should do our best... but don't have to go overboard.

4. Not all of your "hobbies" have to be religious, but God should always be a part of your life.

“We do not know the future, but our Father in Heaven does, and He will lead and guide us if we let Him. When we are in tune with the Spirit, we will see many small miracles happen in our lives. I have found that having the ability to see and recognize these small miracles is based upon my spiritual worthiness, my willingness to be obedient, and my desire to not allow myself to become complacent and caught up in worldly and personal pursuits.”

Ronald T. Halverson, “Obeying the Whisperings of the Holy Ghost”, Ensign, Aug 2007, 56–58

5. I don't think it is always a sin to want to run away from home. Depending on why you want to leave and whether you actually do it.

6. We all want to do things we shouldn't some days. It is not a sin to be tempted. That's just being human. But it is a sin to put our own silly desires before God's commandments. So try your best to go to church... and play your video games the OTHER 6 days of the week. 3nodding

Exodus 20:8 "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy."

7. Yes/No. Hee hee. We should strive to forgive those who've wronged us, not keep a s**t-list. (To explain, in my faith we have the Doctrine and Covenants as well as the New Testament, Old Testament, Book of Mormon, and Pearl of Great Price) Doctrine and Covenants 64:10 "I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men."

However, remembering the wrongs you've done to others, IF it helps you to repent and change you're ways... probably a good thing. Just don't let those things continue to ruin your life after you change your ways!

8. I think we all have our own obsessions. For me it is animals. I LOVE my animals so much, spend a great deal of time caring for them, work with them, and am now returning to college to pursue a Vet Tech license. BUT I think as long as God comes 1st, being passionate about other things is just fine. I think God wants us to have interests. smile  
ADVICE

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games