Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Fear as a tool to spread religion

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:32 pm
I'd like to know your opinions about it.

Is it wrong? Is it right? Why do you think so?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:28 am
its clearly wrong because fear is kinda a dickish way to get people to do what you want .-.  

SpeciesxConfused

Yur-Yur Yuri

Beloved Phantom

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:37 am
SpeciesxConfused
its clearly wrong because fear is kinda a dickish way to get people to do what you want .-.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:20 am
User Image
I think fear can only breed false belief at best. For a long time, I convinced myself that all non-Christians were going to Hell, evolution was "just a theory," "practicing homosexuals" were committing a horrible sin, and a number of other, similar Christianisms because I was afraid not to. On some level I was uncomfortable "believing" these things, and doubts came up a lot... but I swept them under the rug, because I was afraid that questioning what I thought was "GOD'S WORD *rumblerumble*" would get me a first-class ticket to Hell.

As soon as I got away from the group that had taught me to be such a bigot, those "beliefs" started to crumble away. I think building a belief on fear is like building a house on a foundation of loose sand.

Not to mention that it's kind of a d**k thing to do to someone.

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Koravin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:40 am
It is absolutely wrong to fearmonger people into belief. It causes people serious damage. I know when I was a Christian, I was terrified about a number of things. It was bad for me psychologically. I was miserable.

It's also incorrect. You should convince me of your position with logic, not terror. If your argument about the nature of existence (is there a god, is there an afterlife) cannot withstand logical reasoning, it is worthless.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games