Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Movies / Books / Video Games / Culinary / Avatars
THE TERM "ALPHA" IN A WOLFPACK IS OUTDATED /proof

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:28 pm

{♫=♥}:

updated: 11/2/2010
edit the entire thing to give a quick and better understanding

Quote:
Outmoded notion of the alpha wolf

The concept of the alpha wolf is well ingrained in the popular wolf literature at least partly because of my book "The Wolf: Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species," written in 1968, published in 1970, republished in paperback in 1981, and currently still in print, despite my numerous pleas to the publisher to stop publishing it. Although most of the book's info is still accurate, much is outdated. We have learned more about wolves in the last 40 years then in all of previous history.

One of the outdated pieces of information is the concept of the alpha wolf. "Alpha" implies competing with others and becoming top dog by winning a contest or battle. However, most wolves who lead packs achieved their position simply by mating and producing pups, which then became their pack. In other words they are merely breeders, or parents, and that's all we call them today, the "breeding male," "breeding female," or "male parent," "female parent," or the "adult male" or "adult female." In the rare packs that include more than one breeding animal, the "dominant breeder" can be called that, and any breeding daughter can be called a "subordinate breeder."

source: http://www.davemech.org/news.html

For more information, click on the source and read the PDF file that's located on that page.

David Mech researches about wolves, and from what I read he's been doing so since 1958. That's a lot of years of experience from now.
Mech is also the founder of the International Wolf Center and sits on its Board of Directors as Vice Chair.
Their website: wolf.org

He observes wild wolves and not captive wolves to learn how a pack forms naturally. Some researchers observe captive wolves which is why they get the wrong idea on packs.
I believe people are still learning about wolves and are taking out things from what they thought were true.

Unrelated but related example: Pluto is not a planet.

If you're a huge reader, read The Wolf: The Ecology and Behavior of an Endangered Species(1980's old version), and compare it to Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation.(2003 new version) Just to see the difference between the two on how the views on wolves changed.
Or just read Wolves: Behavior, Ecology, and Conservation(2003), which is more accurate & including new information about wolves.
Books are from David Mech.

I'm planning on reading the new version.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:00 pm
How does that work?
There are years of documentaries of Wolf Packs and the structure of them.
One pair > a second pair > some other wolves > pups > the bottom wolves.

Admittedly, before posting this I haven't seen the link yet, so this could all be disproven, but I find it difficult to believe that Wolves have no structure in their system.
I mean hell, even Orcas have a "Wolf Pack" mindset (I'm guessing wolves were studied before Orcas because one is based off the knowledge of the other instead of the other way around or one being individualized).

I guess I'll watch it now, and maybe have my mind blown and my whole reality about wolves shattered.
Here we go.
T~T

DarkWolfLove

Toothsome Werewolf

14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:05 pm

{♫=♥}:

I know, I know
This is actually kinda new. Video uploaded in 2008. 3nodding
I read in an article that he said the media will probably accept this new study in 20 years or so. gonk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:27 pm
Okay, so he is a respectable member of the science community' he does have a valid argument; there is some truth to what he is saying.

But come ON!

Alphas don't fight to the top?
I know for sure I've seen just that event happen in one of the many video tapes I have of Wolves.
Perhaps not fights to the death, but we even see in our own "versions" of the wolf - domestic dogs - that there is an instinct to dominate and be in a "pecking order".

Though many packs do have the "breeding pair", it has been shown that at least one of those pairs is a "top".
Not all Packs have only family members, even in the wild.
Or at least not a "parent" pair and then the rest are children.
There are cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.
And they constantly instill who is top and who is not.

Meh....
I don't even know.
It's just too sudden to say "yeah, that s**t we recorded? All wrong. 'Kay, have a nice day!"

DarkWolfLove

Toothsome Werewolf

14,175 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Lavish Tipper 200

Jiti

Tiny Animal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:35 pm

{♫=♥}:

Maybe he have more explanation in his books. o:
After believing about the ranks in the pack for so long, it's hard to believe that that was all a big misunderstanding. D;
But I know that scientists makes mistakes so I don't mind the change.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:12 pm
/updated  

Jiti

Tiny Animal

Movies / Books / Video Games / Culinary / Avatars

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out