Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BobCatHOH

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:22 pm
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/08/24/negima-mangaka-ken-akamatsu-moe-harems-are-dead/

Quote:
Ken Akamatsu, the mangaka behind such classic harem titles as Negima and Love Hina, has stated that both harem and moe titles seem to have had their day.

Responding to the results of industry research into the state of the anime market suggesting that the formerly dominant position of moe and late-night anime has declined precipitously, he sums up his thoughts on the state of the market:

Certainly, the moe boom is finished, and from last year on I think we’re seeing the following phenomena:

1. Male protagonists are absent

Many anime are now nothing but girls, and the role of the “male character being excited by female characters for viewers to empathise with” has disappeared.

2. Male buying power has reduced

Now women buyers of both anime and manga are predominant. Oricon comic rankings show most of the top titles are women-oriented.

3. Male viewers can now empathise with female characters

The number of male fans who simply don’t view female characters as objects of sexual desire at all is increasing, even in titles like “K-ON!”. No more are they just thinking “I want to be part of that circle,” now they are getting into the characters themselves.

A friend of mine was saying “this will be the year of yuri!” thanks to number 3, but unfortunately I get the feeling the popularity of yuri is not quite that great

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:16 pm
Quote:
The number of male fans who simply don’t view female characters as objects of sexual desire at all is increasing, even in titles like “K-ON!”. No more are they just thinking “I want to be part of that circle,” now they are getting into the characters themselves.

I don't really know if I should interpret this as a sexist comment or a comment on how less and less anime readers are becoming escapists and instead looking at the characters as an ideal friend or waifu.  

Ivan The Mouse

Aekea Deadeye

10,725 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100

alvhinne

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:26 pm
dang sounds like me... xD  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:16 pm
Ivan The Mouse
Quote:

I don't really know if I should interpret this as a sexist comment or a comment on how less and less anime readers are becoming escapists and instead looking at the characters as an ideal friend or waifu.

I'm interpreting that as there are fewer perverts. Remember The Ken's viewpoint on Moe?  

BobCatHOH

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

Ivan The Mouse

Aekea Deadeye

10,725 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:33 pm
BobCatHOH
Ivan The Mouse
Quote:

I'm interpreting that as there are fewer perverts. Remember The Ken's viewpoint on Moe?

I see. Does this mean that Mr. Akamatsu has a sexist point-of-view?  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:12 pm
Ivan The Mouse

I don't know about if his POV is sexist....

I think his viewpoint was that he was more ecchi in the past and now moving toward non-ecchi in how he thinks manga should be because he sees the manga reading population going in that direction.

Time will tell if he will implement his non-pervy viewpoint in negima.....  

BobCatHOH

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

Ivan The Mouse

Aekea Deadeye

10,725 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:27 am
BobCatHOH
Ivan The Mouse

I don't know about if his POV is sexist....

I think his viewpoint was that he was more ecchi in the past and now moving toward non-ecchi in how he thinks manga should be because he sees the manga reading population going in that direction.

Time will tell if he will implement his non-pervy viewpoint in negima.....

I don't know, but that reeks of a little irony on the industry's part, because he, who is credited on popularizing, if not inventing, the harem genre, will simply head towards a non-ecchi direction.

Although that is completely possible because of Negima's status right now.  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:40 am
Ivan The Mouse

I don't know, but that reeks of a little irony on the industry's part, because he, who is credited on popularizing, if not inventing, the harem genre, will simply head towards a non-ecchi direction.

I see it as him evolving.

Quote:

Although that is completely possible because of Negima's status right now.

Negima is becoming less ecchi?  

BobCatHOH

6,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

alvhinne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:27 pm
I've been in a lot of anime forums n i usually see this comment from so called "Otaku Elitist" viewing harem is no fun anymore because their stereotype views which delivers same plot and mostly delivers much ecchi and fanservice. I agree on latter part which plot's are almost the same but it's still fun for me esp. comedy. I've been watching lots of harem anime's as i started from Love Hina to its predecessors which has indeed almost the same plot. Some of my favorites like Ichigo 100%, Shuffle, Clannad, Rosario Vampire, etc.
as what as i have observed...
1. Male protagonist is always weak/useless/nobody
2. Then life changed on this male protagonist after he meet these girls, from Mr. Nobody to Mr. Popular and he's everybody's center of attention.
3. These girls are competing each other towards him to win his attention (fanservice)
Dun get me wrong because i still like to watch harem, either good drama (no School Days pls) or ecchi comedy lol.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Akamatsu has been a great manga innovator as shown with Negima which started with an ultimate harem (31 female students on Negi lol).
1. He made Negi as a child wonder/superior/mr.popular protagonist compared to the one i said earlier
2. Then story evolved to a lot of famous loveteams like Konoka x Setsuna, Kotaru x Natsumi, Nagi x Izumi to name a few. If he stick that 31 x 1 harem plot he might ran out of story and fans will be burned out on that same plot.
3. I know some fans hate a lot of useless fillers on Bleach, Naruto, etc. but Akamatsu's fillers are funny and interesting like hows life of being Yuna and other student characters.
4. Yes Negima is evolving and getting interesting as it introduced new more characters and more places other than Mahora Academy.
That's why i'm still collecting Negima manga because its nice & interesting plot, superb art, comedic ecchi, whatelse lol

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Regarding K-ON!, yes i love that show because it has different plot and it has unique lovable characters. I'm not really a fan of music based anime like "Beck" but this thing caught my attention as i can relate of how fun life in high school was (and to live those days again), like making a club, going out for a retreat/practices, doin examinations, etc. Without that good plot on K-On, i am not gnna like it because artfully is not that great like Clannad (same Kyoto Animation) lol  
Forum Closed

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games