Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
You know you read/watch/listen to too much HHGG/DNA when... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:51 pm
(well, gotta make the subject line a catch-all for the radio plays, and the TV show, and the upcoming influx of movie fans gonk *groan*, and anyone who wants to pull Dirk Gently or any other of his works into the mix. mrgreen )

C'mon everybody, join in!

You know you read/watch/listen to too much HHGG/DNA when...

...you fantasize about someday carrying around spare towels and paperback copies of HHGG in your trunk so you can give them away to hitchhikers.
...you fantasize about hitchhiking and flagging down a car of HHGG fans with your bright yellow towel.
...you collect towels (yellow ones, a purple one, Coca-Cola one, one with Texas flags on...).
...you got a dressing gown because Arthur has one.
...you got a leather satchel because Ford has one.
...you are now the staring-contest champion of all your friends because you thought Ford's habit of rarely blinking was so cool.
...you've done HHGG fanart.
...you've done HHGG fanart in art class.
...you've done HHGG fanart in art class for an assignment.
...you've done HHGG fanart in art class for an assignment more than once.
...you've done HHGG fanart in art class for an assignment more than once... and some of it was sculpture.
...you plan to name your firstborn son Ford.
...you are so camping out for HHGG movie tickets.
...you plan to wear a dressing gown, or carry a leather satchel, or bring a towel, to the movie. If they'll let you.
...you've got the Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide leatherbound gilt-edged pages edition.
...you've got the full trilogy and both Dirk Gently books on CD read by DNA himself, even though it cost a crazy amount of money (it's okay! I have a B&N membership! I got my money's worth!)
...you've joined a guild in which each member claims an element on the periodic table, and you claim element #42, even though you knew nothing about it at the time (to be fair though, I picked it because mercury was taken...explains the "molybdenum" in my sig, though, don't it?)
...you have a pet rock named Arthur.
...you want fish-shaped earrings.
...you go around cryptically saying stuff like "The moon is much larger than it appears to be" or "So long, and thanks for all the fish."
...you go around cryptically saying stuff like, "Remove gown. Put gown on hook. Put towel on drain. Put satchel on panel. Put junk mail on satchel. Press dispenser button." (sorry for the spoilers)
...you understood a word of that last entry.
...you swear that if you had a gif editing program, you would so make a cosmic cutie smiley. Or two. You've even got the frames ready!
...you know what a cosmic cutie is.
...you know DNA didn't like cosmic cuties, but you like 'em anyway.
...the first thing you practiced embroidering when you got an embroidery kit was a comic cutie (but then I lost the embroidery kit - it's around here somewhere...)
...your profile contains part of a DNA quote ("I'm usually to be found 33,000 feet above Iceland, but if you feel like popping up for a drink I'd be glad to say hello.")
...when a kid in your art class paints a weird painting with sumo walruses pulling Constenoga (sp?) wagons and masks in the sky and floating whales, you tell him he should put in a bowl of petunias, "to match the whales." (he didn't. crying )
...you tried to grow your own bowl of petunias (they died...I have an anti-green thumb and there were no drainage holes in the bowl gonk ).
...you have an image in your head of what the Guide Mk II looks like (like a robotic phainopepla (Google it, it's good for ya) with the word "Panic" in red on one of the white stripes).
...you have an MP3 of the Eagles song the HHGG TV theme is a shortened, modified version of (sorry guys, it's on the other computer without an internet connection).
...you knew the HHGG TV theme was a shortened, modified version of an Eagles song.
...you knew the title of said song was "Journey of the Sorceror".
...you would like the HHGG theme as a ringtone (my phone is such an old relic I can't even program one in).
...you think the HHGG theme song even sounds cool backwards, 'cause you've actually tried it (if anyone wants to hear it, PM me your e-mail addy and I'll zip it up and zip it over).
...you watch Doctor Who because of Douglas Adams. (it's great!)
...you've written in "A Suffusion of Yellow" on a math test when you didn't know the answer.
...you think David Dixon is daaaamn sexy. heart
...you've done an oekaki of Marvin (I'll have to find it and show y'all sometime...)

Well, more in the future. Sadly, and obviously, these all apply to me. sweatdrop Remember folks, the acronym is YKYR/W/LTTMHHGG/DNAW...! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:54 pm
...If you actually carry a towel with you. Just because of HHGG. (It's white with blue and red faded stripes) And you carry it around with you everywhere in your green bag which kind of looks like a satchel. And when people ask why, you quote HHGG.
"You sass that hoopy Ford Prefect? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."  

Tinnumir

Celdia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:56 pm
....I don't know whether to laugh or cry because of how many of those I do/have done/am going to do...  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:18 pm
xd I don't have any contributions.. *brainfart* ..but I just want to say that I lurve that!!

*grins evilly and uses it as a checklist for future activities*  

circuit sparks

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:33 pm
i recommended Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency to my philosophy professor.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:27 pm
MST3Kakalina
i recommended Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency to my philosophy professor.

Ooh! Ooh! I used the passage about Mark Knopfler from SLATFATF (making guitars hoot and sing like angels on a Saturday night, something to that effect) on my art teacher (a major MK/Dire Straits fan) to convince him to read DNA! mrgreen

And also, I've given two people so far the entire trilogy for Christmas.

And also, I lent my DVD of the TV show to my... er, friend-with-benefits (a nicer way of putting it) who drives a cab, and he lost it cause he left it somewhere stupid - the back seat of his cab. crying So now he owes me a new one. sweatdrop But...and this is the seriously twisted part... I sincerely hope that whoever stole the DVD is enjoying it, and feel somewhat satsified at spreading the conspiracy. 3nodding

And...I'm not at all following the format that I myself set up. But isn't that what Douglas Adams is all about? mrgreen

YKYR/W/LTTMHHGG/DNAW...
...(the three listed above)
...you know Ford's towel (which he borrowed from Arthur) has little pink and blue flowers on it (at least in the text adventure).
...you came up with this idea. And that acronym. Hoo boy. rolleyes
...you are totally concerned with the plight of the kakapos now. (They're just so cute! heart )
You've become a fan of a random webcomic (or two) for having one HHGG reference (the now-defunct American Bachelors with Mecha(s), The Pantheon, prolly some more I can't think of right now...)
...you find it hard to believe that Douglas Adams never met George Harrison, because they both knew the Monty Python guys and Douglas was a really big Beatles fan and they'd have gotten along great and can't believe George never read any of Douglas's books? ...and you actually think this much about this sort of thing.
...you only became a fan after Douglas's death, because you felt guilty you hadn't known HHGG was a trilogy so you went out and bought all five books - but if you had the chance to go back and save Douglas and let him finish Salmon of Doubt and write many more books, you would, even though your life would change completely and you'd be a completely different person. But I'm sure you'd come back to DNA eventually, right? Right? ...surely with the movie and all?
...your tolerance for Elvis has increased due to Ford Prefect (weeeell, and that "Little More Conversation" remix a while back, but mostly Ford. whee ).
...every time you draw Ford you draw 'im in blue suede shoes, 'cause they're totally froody. whee
...you're considering getting a job at a movie theater sometime in the next three months with no experience and no driver's license, because the theater employees get promotional t-shirts for some movies, and guess which May-release movie you want a t-shirt for?
...you "tag" (graffiti) not with your name, but with the hoopy "42".
...if you've ever taken a towel to school on, say, March 11. Or maybe May 11 crying .
...if, hell, you've ever taken a towel to school at all ever.
...you often mention to your friends that 9/10s of the human mind is penguins.
...you love penguins. Like, you collect penguin pajamas. heart
...you draw parallels between HHGG and other, completely unrelated series - like, "Gee, Largo and Piro got a sort of Ford/Arthur dynamic going on - I mean, Largo's got red hair, acts crazy, Piro's kinduva loser..." (though to be fair, that realization was prompted by someone's "Ping the Paranoid Android" sig. "Brain the size of a planet and they ask me to sweep the floor..." xd . Although Sarah tributed DNA's death (dunno 'bout Fred. He was out at the time)...)
...you have your own, unique sound that you make, inspired by Agrajag's "HhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrraaaaaaHHHHHH!!!"
...ditto, and you can't wait to hear how DNA did it in the radio series where he played that part.
...ditto, and you're shocked that I spelled "HhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrraaaaaaHHHHHH!!!" right, because you actuallyl know how to spell it. sweatdrop
...one of your favorite bits of wisdom is "Never throw the letter Q into a privet bush."
...you scour the internet for HHGG fansites, fanart, fanfiction (espec--er, even slash sweatdrop ), personality quizzes, cute little pixel thingies (like so User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ) - anything!
...you've actually worked out that you can't spell "what do you get when you multiply six by nine" with one Scrabble set, and sumrise that either Arthur made spares because the not-cavemen kept losing tiles, or he just didn't know much about Scrabble.
...the song "Wonderful World" didn't used to make you cry, but after that last episode of the HHGG TV series... well... cry
...AltaVista was at one time your favorite search engine, expressly because of Babelfish.
...you now wonder what the hell fairy cake is, and want to eat some...
...you know that "Lilo and Stitch" cartoon series they got on the Disney Channel where they go around getting all the experiments, turning 'em good, naming them, and finding the one true place they belong? If you think 625, the one who likes to make sandwiches, should be named Arthur, then... YKYR/W/LTTMHHGG/DNA. mrgreen

...once again, all done by me.

w00t, 14G post. mrgreen  

Yuki-Onna Reed

Ghost Chef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:50 pm
...you know all the lyrics to "Reasons to be Miserable."
...you just have to mention "42" when anyone brings up "the meaning of life."
...you are attempting to collect or have collected some form of every song used in the original radio show.
...you have actually called the numbers in Adams' notes "How to Leave the Planet" in an attempt to leave the planet.
...you post in this guild.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:30 pm
--You get paid 42 dollars from your job and you jump up and down screaming "IT'S A SIGN!".  

Ichigo Stardust

circuit sparks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:13 am
Zianete
--You get paid 42 dollars from your job and you jump up and down screaming "IT'S A SIGN!".

xd It IS a sign damnit. ( eek You're..you're..BACK!)  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:11 pm
....when you refuse to join this guild for two days because when you first found it, it had 42 members? xp  

Destruction Kitty

circuit sparks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:13 pm
Ayasugii
....when you refuse to join this guild for two days because when you first found it, it had 42 members? xp

xd That thought actually occurred to me when we first got 42 members. I was thinking to myself "Damn..if I was going to join the guild, would I even do so after seeing there's 42 members?! Would I be upsetting some carefully planned out balance?!"  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:16 pm
Tallest Red
Ayasugii

xd That thought actually occurred to me when we first got 42 members. I was thinking to myself "Damn..if I was going to join the guild, would I even do so after seeing there's 42 members?! Would I be upsetting some carefully planned out balance?!"
I figured on somebody else upsetting the balance for me, and thus being the focus of all the cosmic wrath and telephone sanitizers and whatnot. >_>  

Destruction Kitty

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:41 pm
...any instance of the number 42 is a sign.

Hey, there's another one: You know those souvenir calculators on a keychain you sometimes see in stores, say "Colorado" or whatever on 'em... doesn't have to be that, specifically, just any calculator you can get at... Anyways, what I do is punch "42" in on every little one I have time for before mom's through the checkout line. whee

Hey, Ayasugii! I'm pretty sure I should remember you more than I do, but mostly the one I remember is Guyasugii. sweatdrop Ah well. Welcomes! Don't worry, we'll soon be to 84...and then 126... and then 168... 210... 252, 294... etc. etc., multiples and 420 4200 etc., and someday we'll get to 42 squared, or 42 cubed, or 42 to the power of 42 (although the chances of that, oddly enough, are 42 to the power of 42 against). whee  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:56 pm
You remember my mule better than me? gonk

Yeah, I haven't talked to you in, like, a year... ever since they took the 'avatar above you' games and moved 'em from AT to Word Games, methinks. sweatdrop  

Destruction Kitty

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:58 pm
Yeah, and I never bothered to go with them... sweatdrop

I only remember Guyasugii more because I can actually remember whatever it was he wore. sweatdrop
Oooooh, rhymey. eek  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games