Welcome to Gaia! ::

Veni Vidi Vici

Back to Guilds

A poll guild for fun-lovers, RPers, craziness, and hippies. 

Tags: poll, games 

Reply Nothing's coming.
I hate incompatability issues!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

YAY to getting old things to work again
  Can I get a "Woot Woot" ?
View Results

xX Catgirl - Pierce Xx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:38 pm
Purple got me "Tomb Raider GOLD for pc" for christmas.

I popped in the disk and it immediately broke my video drivers.

I read that it was for dos and 95, so I loaded my virtual pc program and installed 98. It skipped all cutscenes and had an annoying clicking noise in the background.

I found out that my virtual pc program only emulates an "S3 Tri" video card and the game disk only has a patch for the "S3 Virge" video card. So I downloaded the "ESCAPEplay" program to watch the cutscenes when I get to that part in the game. (has to be in 16-bit Hi-res mode I might add) [PS... still in 98]

After that, I say... "ah heck, why not" and loaded a new virtual HDD with MSDOS 6.22 only to find out that it doesn't have a cd-rom driver. So after some time, I figure out that I can temp-load one using my MSDOS boot disk.

I installed the game files to the virtual DOS hdd and it froze. Turns out I needed to install the UniVESA video driver included on the game disk. (can only be used in msdos)

So now I can FINALLY play the game without annoying clicking, and just save and stop to watch the cutscenes (in 98 ) when I get to that spot in the game.

I hate the way newer systems aren't compatable with old hardware.
I can't list the number of times that I got the "Not a valid Win32 Application" error, while trying to play an old Win98 program.

And you can't get any newer versions of my virtual pc program (Microsoft Virtual PC 2007) because none of the later ones are freeware (comes prepackaged with vista and Win7 though), AND to make matters worse... they don't have support for operating systems older then XP.

Though I am kinda wondering if it's possible to install the 2007 version to the newest OSs. or run the virtual pc program from within a running virtual pc program.

Owell, At least I can play my game now and see what those EXTRA levels are like.

Drat, had to finally use my first health pack of the game!
(was on world 2, level 1 - known as game level 5, St. Francis' Folly)
Drat Natla's Henchman !!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:48 am
That sounds like a lot of annoying work to play your game!!! But, at least you are enjoying it now that you can play it ...right!?

I agree with you about things not being so backwards-compatible. It's crappy. My graphics editing program is old, it's made for 98. It works okay on XP, pretty choppy on Vista. But, wont even open on Seven. ~_~;

x-x-x-x-x
Love Always, Rinioa x-x-x-x-x

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

xX Catgirl - Pierce Xx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:38 pm
It was alot of trouble but on the other hand...
I considder computer stuff like that a personal challenge.
So getting it working was, in it's own way, a little fun.
(though quite frustrating)

All I have to do is start up my virtual DOS hdd with my dos boot disk in the floppy drive and then stick in the game cd. Of course you have to know how to get it running, sence it's in command line. = TYPE: "c:" then "cd tomeraid" then "tomb" and the game starts. Fun, yes? ^.^

I have sence then given up on using that ESCAPEplay program to play the cinematics, sence I ran into a glitch on the 4th one that shut it down at the halfway point. Now when I get to a point in the game that has a cutscene, I just pause the virtual pc program and watch the video that I found on a tomb raider fan site. They uploaded all the cinematics from every game o_O

Sounds like you could use my virtual pc program too.
Perhaps a Win98 or Win2K install, maybe.
One of the best things, is that if you use the same workgroup name as your actual computer, then your virtual one can access your shared folder like it's a real pc on the network. A great way to transfer files when you need to ^.^  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:30 pm
Thank god I'm a console gamer. xd  

Iakun

xX Catgirl - Pierce Xx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:16 am
I'm mainly a console gamer myself.
(playstation to be exact)

But I don't like to limit myself.
If I see a game on other system, or on computer, that I think looks cool, I go for it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:17 pm
Well, if you enjoy messing around with it ...even though it was a lot of work ... then that is good. whee

I actually don't have a problem running my program. I use Vista, and just run it as Vista Basic and it runs pretty much everything that I have.

x-x-x-x-x

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

xX Catgirl - Pierce Xx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:31 pm
I bet I could find something that your "vista" doesn't like...

I've been an expert at breaking things sence I was a baby...
hehehe twisted

And sence vista is widely considdered THE worst OS ever made (well, it and WinME), it shouldn't be hard.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:21 am
I meant things I personally use, not everything in the world. 3nodding ...I never said Vista was anything good. I just said I don't have a big problem running what I need to run.

x-x-x-x-x

Rinioa

Sugary Bunny

xX Catgirl - Pierce Xx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:09 am
In other words, you don't use ALOT of different programs, huh?

Well, I do. So trying to use anything after XP wouldn't work for me at all.
LOL
When typing in my username to log in, I put a "3" instead of the final "e"
I haven't accidentally typed l337 in a long time ^^;  
Nothing's coming.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas