Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Back to Guilds

Reply The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!
Procol Harum Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:40 pm
i bring this up because their song, "Grand Hotel," was the inspiration for the concept of a restaurant at the end of the universe (for those of you who haven't yet gotten a copy of The Salmon of Doubt). as soon as i read about it, i downloaded it, and it really is an amazing song. absolutely gorgeous.

i totally recommend giving it a listen--in fact, i heartily recommend all of Procol Harum's stuff.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:53 pm
Well then... someone else who even knows who Procol Harum. I recomend them in small doses or else... Bwa ha ha... Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ok that's enough of that.  

The Incorrigible Thalimon

Familiar Dabbler

13,725 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200

Yuki-Onna Reed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:59 pm
crying I try so hard, but never quite seem to get around to tracking down anything by Procol Harum...

I have heard "Whiter Shade of Pale" though! biggrin *gets things thrown at her gonk *

I did check out a Bach CD from the library, but I've no idea which specific movement is the one with the "twiddly bits" or however he described it...

...and I used the passage about Mark Knopfler in So Long and Thanks for All the Fish to get my art teacher into DNA (major MK fan)...

...and I already liked the Beatles by the time I got into DNA, so no problems there... wink

...{insert something about Pink Floyd here} (and doesn't "Wish You Were Here" so make you think of Arthur and Fenchurch? "two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl" indeed!)

But none of this has anything to do with Procol Harum! gonk
I em teh suck. crying  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:56 am
Quote:
"two lost souls swimming in a fishbowl"

depends. does the fishbowl say "So long, and thanks for all the fish?" xp  

MST3Kakalina

Familiar Dabbler

13,725 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:32 pm
It might... But I doubt it.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:59 pm
I've been trying to find something, anything by Procol Harum ever since I read Salmon of Doubt. Only recently was I able to get something downloaded (Conquistador). I am still trying to get Grand Hotel (to no avail crying ). I can't even get Whiter Shade of Pale!. Damn you, Winmx! Can't even find anything on iTunes.
When I eventually get more money I'll probably hunt down and buy a cd.

Pink Floyd! I heart Pink Floyd! I already have a sad connection to Wish You Were Here (long story), and when I read that it was sung at his funeral, it made me sadder.  

Tinnumir

Tinnumir

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:01 pm
oops double post. grr. stupid computer being retarded.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:06 am
Oh! And "Journey of the Sorceror" by the Eagles! I have heard this, because some guy I met on AIM sent me an MP3...unfortunately, the computer I downloaded it to can't connect to the internet anymore (it says "no dial tone" but the cords are all securely plugged in, so we don't know what's going on), and the file's too big for a floppy disk, even zipped, so I'm afraid I can't share it with all of you. crying Ah well, if could find an MP3 of it I'm sure y'all can. The CD would be good too.

...DNA also got to play (left-handed) guitar onstage with Pink Floyd once (I think for his birthday present), but I forget what song it was... it was either Wish You Were Here or Brain Damage/Eclipse, unless it was something else altogether...

Oh! And I forget if this story is from Salmon of Doubt or Don't Panic (whick is Neil Gaiman's guide to the Guide - really good book, it's where I got the quote for my location in my profile) or somewhere else entirely (I'm leaning toward Salmon of Doubt, but you never can tell), but one of Douglas's friends was in the US for some reason when Douglas called him up and said, "Hey, if I can get Gary Brooker to have dinner with us on Sunday, will you fly over and join us?" (for the benefit of people in this thread as clueless as I, Gary Brooker is a guy in Procol Harum...I hope.) "OMG!! eek " said his friend. "You've met Gary Brooker?!"
"Well, no," said Douglas, "But England is a small country..."
And then of course he pulls it off, and in three days his friend finds himself in England having dinner with Gary Brooker. xd (actually, yes, it was the guy from Procol Harum (because I recall the guy played the piano some after dinner), but since I usually get something wrong, I now believe I've got his name wrong. Ah well.)

Oh! And of course the times poor Douglas as a young man kept missing seeing the Beatles perform. whee The day he happened not to go to London was the day they gave their rooftop concert. eek Poor thingy.  

Yuki-Onna Reed

Familiar Dabbler

13,725 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:41 pm
Poor indeed.

Someday I wish to see Paul in concert but I doubt I ever will. Oh well don't matter anyway My fortune has nothing to do with this thread so I'll leave you in misery and self doubt.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:25 pm
the Gary Brooker story was in Salmon of Doubt, i remember that!

i also was going to do a Bach piece at my senior recital (the first movement of the Italian Concerto) that was played at his funeral, though i didn't realize it was at his funeral until well after i started learning it--so i was especially depressed when i simply couldn't finish it in time. i'll finally polish it up one day.

irrelevant: Paul is my least favourite Beatle. heart George Harrison.  

MST3Kakalina

Familiar Dabbler

13,725 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:55 am
Relavant to the irrelavant: Yes but Paul is the one who is still alive and touring. I liked John better.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:12 am
relevant to the relevant to the irrelevant: yeah, he's the only one still doing anything, but ahdunno. Wings kind of soured me on Sir Paul, not to mention his crusade to get the names on the songs changed to "McCartney/Lennon." i mean, come on. i will give him props as a talented bassist, though.  

MST3Kakalina

Familiar Dabbler

13,725 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:38 am
Relavant to relavant to relavant to irrelavant: Yes he does deserve some props but not many. I just want to see the concert of the only touring Beatle. That's all. Wings were good though. Lennon/McCartny looks better anyhow.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:03 am
George rules, Paul drools. 2 to 1 vote, we are teh win. heart

While we're on the subject, my second fave is Ringo and my third is John. Paul, of course, is my fifth favorite, right after Brian Epstein. blaugh
Actually, wait. I think I like Brian Epstein more than John, too. neutral Well, I'll ponder The List more later...

Y'know, Douglas did at least get to see Paul in concert once.

I can't believe Douglas and George never even met, man! gonk I mean, they both knew various bits of Monty Python, can't believe they never hooked up! They'd've gotten along, I just know it! crying
Oh well. I'm sure whereever they are right now, they're watching the ongoing movie postproduction and going, "Y'know what? That could be so much better" and are currently doing so. 4laugh  

Yuki-Onna Reed

Familiar Dabbler

13,725 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:53 pm
That is unless of course the two options inwhich they would not meet were to occur. The first of which there is no afterlife. The second is there is an after life therefore a heaven and a hell and somehow one of them got sent to the wrong place. But I'd rather believe that they are looking at us and laughing that we are discussing them in the way we are, and calling us geeks and or losers. But that's just my oppinion.  
The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Guild!

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games