Welcome to Gaia! ::

RAG-Really Awesome Guild *free contest over 1 mil in Prizes*

Back to Guilds

the ants go marching one-by-one, Hurrah! Hurrah! 

Tags: Cool, Zombies, Music, Friends, Awesome 

Reply "Be a man! We must be swift as the coursing river...."
Free music, movies, video games, ect.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Piracy?
  Good
  bad
  YAaaarrrr!!!
View Results

Fire 0ak
Crew

Buggy Mage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:03 pm
Piracy how do you feel about it?
I'm leaning towards it being a generally good thing that people are able to download and access complete software, movies and video games.
I see piracy as something that promotes the creation of products with value.
It makes the companies honest. Especially those that try to suck every drop they can out of their consumers with sub-par or barely-improved upgrades.
It lets us thoroughly test a product determining it's worth, ideally, followed by an actual purchase, the stamp of approval. On the other hand, part of me worries for the small independent companies losing profits that they might really deserve and need to keep going
I see piracy/ file sharing/ illegal downloading as a largely beneficial thing that should not be prevented or regulated by law to the degree that it is completely cut off.

Discuss: Is Piracy good or bad for business or even society? Should it be regulated?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:37 pm
I loves me some illegal downloadin' pirate
With some amine it's also necessary, some of them only come with 4 eps for a $20 disc scream
Most of my slash anime isn't available in anything but fansub anyway. Plus some movies and games, especially older ones are hard to find. FF7 is usually like $50-$100  

water_spirit
Vice Captain

Timid Cupcake

21,200 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Loiterer 100
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100

big jug hot cheese

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:06 pm
I hear that most musicians get very little from actual CD sales anyway, but that could be wrong

To be honest.... I don't download anything that I would pay for. If I can't have it free I would rather go without. That said the things I really appreciate, I do buy.

It's hard to say because I don't think it should be legal, though....  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:26 pm
Yeah I really appreciate the heaps of anime that I get online. I've heard that the studios are hurting because of all the downloading going on but I agree that a lot of times its simply because they can't get anime shipped here fast enough. The process is too slow so most people find their own ways. Too bad because I would happily buy the official dubs if they would just hurry up.
Great example is Eva rebuild. I saw 2.0 practically after it was released in Japan because some helpful person made a sub for it. That must have been a couple of years ago and the official is still not available in the US to my knowledge.  

Fire 0ak
Crew

Buggy Mage

John Obake
Captain

Heroic Smoker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:43 pm
Modest mouse tickets are 52 greenbacks each man so you figure at a thousand heads a show that should be more than enough to cover the loss of whoever downloaded it. Most people who download probably would have just gone without it anyway.Also 20 bucks for an eight track CD. There better be at least 3 9 minute ballads on that b***h.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 am
The only thing I pay for is iPod apps (the good ones). I might try jailbreaking for free apps but don't want to ruin my iPod.

As for music and movies, I use to buy them but it got expensive so I download it for free. I bet most people download music/movies, etc, illegally.  

Starrfang

8,300 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200

Fire 0ak
Crew

Buggy Mage

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 am
Starrfang
The only thing I pay for is iPod apps (the good ones). I might try jailbreaking for free apps but don't want to ruin my iPod.

As for music and movies, I use to buy them but it got expensive so I download it for free. I bet most people download music/movies, etc, illegally.

It really is expensive. Worst thing is to buy something and it's not worth it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:17 am
I might be going to court for downloading movies. s**t sucks, now I just get other people to pirate for me.  

i hate a lot of things

Fire 0ak
Crew

Buggy Mage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:59 am
Adorf Hatler
I might be going to court for downloading movies. s**t sucks, now I just get other people to pirate for me.
That sucks man. They seem pick at random. Hoping to scare everyone else off it. From what I've read, they always seem try to financially maul the person they are going after. Totally messed up. These behemoths aren't being harmed, but they are harming individuals.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 am
Fire 0ak
Adorf Hatler
That sucks man. They seem pick at random. Hoping to scare everyone else off it. From what I've read, they always seem try to financially maul the person they are going after. Totally messed up. These behemoths aren't being harmed, but they are harming individuals.

yeah, I'm actually talking to some guys from my aunt's work who got charged and had to go to court. I haven't had much time with them, but they got out without a single charge on 'em. there's a pretty good chance I'll be in the clear, I just need to the "what to say" to get me out of it.  

i hate a lot of things

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:49 am
Adorf Hatler
Fire 0ak
Adorf Hatler

yeah, I'm actually talking to some guys from my aunt's work who got charged and had to go to court. I haven't had much time with them, but they got out without a single charge on 'em. there's a pretty good chance I'll be in the clear, I just need to the "what to say" to get me out of it.

just deny deny deny. there is no way on earth that they can prove it was you...it's easy to fake an ip and so it could be any number of unscrupulous strangers out to pirate...but not you. you don't have to say that of course, the burden of proof is on the court just keep on denying everything. 3nodding also if you want to continue dl-ing just use a proxy. not that i would know of course xp  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:52 am
I actually don't download as much music as I used to. I do however use sites like Pandora and Grooveshark to listen to music while I'm at work. There are times when Pandora plays a band I hadn't heard in a while, I listen to it some more and I'll actually go to the CD store to find it. And then I remember they don't carry some of the stuff I listen to. sad

I think allowing consumers to listen to all of an album is a good thing because 1A. if they like it enough, they'll go buy it (if they have the money)
1B. If they go buy it (or have the want to buy it), they're more likely to buy tickets to your show (because they liked it enough to get a CD)

((of course the above point is mainly for people like me who like to OWN tangible things))

I think by being able to listen to an album first makes people more likely to buy the CD. Back in the day, people wouldn't buy a CD because they only knew one or two songs on the CD and didn't want to spend money and find out those were the only songs they liked and felt they wasted money. In that situation, the person is less likely to buy a CD like that again. Not many people are into gambling with their money, which is essentially what that is.

PukeFacedFreak

Familiar Friend

13,850 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200

i hate a lot of things

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:03 am
village midget
Adorf Hatler
Fire 0ak
Adorf Hatler

just deny deny deny. there is no way on earth that they can prove it was you...it's easy to fake an ip and so it could be any number of unscrupulous strangers out to pirate...but not you. you don't have to say that of course, the burden of proof is on the court just keep on denying everything. 3nodding also if you want to continue dl-ing just use a proxy. not that i would know of course xp

I use a proxy, change my IP once a week, and change my MAC address every 6 months. the cable company caught me receiving and informed the movie company, there is only one way to safely download:

you need a wireless labtop first, then go to somewhere with free wifi, then download from there. change your IP before you enter every time. that's what I'm going to do when I get back to downloading cool  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 am
that is commitment!
...don't the cable company only see your ip receiving?  

village midget

Fanatical Smoker

"Be a man! We must be swift as the coursing river...."

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces