“To feel for none is the true social art of the world's stoics - men without a heart”

User Image
Pozdrav, by birth I am Gordon Ethan Hollows, though I prefer to be called Ethan.
I was born on October 23, 1983 in the small town of Clear River, Missouri.
In case you can't add, that makes me twenty seven years of age.

A moment's reflection...
I was born to two people who hated each other. Which explains why they divorced before I turned two. The man who helped create me disappearing while my mother moved both of us back to her home town in Portland, Maine.
School was never difficult, but rather boring. I've never cared much for sitting behind a desk.
I dated the same girl through out my high school years though it ended before I left. I can't honestly say that my leaving was the sole reason for the breakup, nor have I paused long enough to think about it.

A decade of choices...
Before I graduated, I knew it would be a waste of money to go to college. I had no direction in mind, no plan for anything really. So I enlisted with the Marines. See the world, or at least the part of the world that can threaten us. I spent the first four years across the ocean, handling the war or whatever they wanted to call it. Reality was a little different. The media chooses what they want to show, leading to a pity for the enemy that moments before were shooting at us or planting bombs.

I had debated leaving the military but actually enjoyed the freedom it gave me. Strange to think of it that way, but I no longer had to deal with my Mother. Nor would I have to find a job I was sure to detest. Staying in the military was a choice I only half made. It's quickly becoming my career. I spent two years in North Carolina before I was shipped overseas again, this time to Okinawa. I can't say my time spent there wasn't enjoyable, but it was good to hit American soil again. The last two years have been split on opposite coasts, guarding my nation.

To truly know me.
Put me in war zone, I'd lay my life down for any man out there, but even they know so little about me. My entire life I've only let so many people in, and always at a distance. It's something I learned long ago, even though I was unaware of it at the time. My relationship with my mother is strained at best. I have a few friends in the military but even they are kept at a distance. As to the friends I had before I left, I haven't even spoken to them, let alone tried to contact them. Why I'm going to the reunion I rationalize as something to do to fill the time until my leave is over and I am once again shipped across the world.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

(Pisani Maskarada)