Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
traditional vs. digital

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aruri_Kasutsuro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:06 pm
hi. long time lurker, first post biggrin

anyways....i'm in a graphic designers course at my college and we have lot's of assignments dealing with traditional medium...especially gouache =_=''. i guess it's cool working with traditional medium, conte, charcoal, paints, etc, its good practice and you gain experience and all...but it definitely eats away at your pocket o_o

we also have electronic courses, where we work with quark, indesign, freehand, ps, etc, which i like too. i have painter, which i love using and mimics traditional mediums. a lot can be achieved though digital mediums...so it seems.

i'm just wondering what you guys prefer..traditional or digital. and in the working world of design...is it more digital these days? (i'm assuming so) or are there some aspects that use traditional medium? because it seems some people totally avoid traditional medium, because it's messy/expensive, etc...though you gain a lot from it 3nodding

wow...this was a long post sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:36 am
when working on projects i tend to go digital...i have done hand rendered graphic design projects and i have done a mixture of both. if you can get away with doing hand rendered elements in your graphic design classes then do it! it adds a lot to a piece!  

thejessjess

starlightskyblue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:35 am
I prefer traditional :/... (even my mind pick both)
but if I have to choose only one of those 2 to keep work on for the rest of my life, I rathr choose traditional, it's true that I like Digital more, mostly 'cause of convinion and tools but come to think of it, everything started from traditional, even some programe like painter, it's simulate to traditional(water color n etc.) plus every artist sure learned from traditional... then when I come to think of profits, a small size of traditional can be worth up to $1000(it always come to money, for me lol), atlease that's what my teacher said since he's a painter himself. but it's just my oppinion after all ^^

well... another thing is, when I look at the traditional pictures, they have more feelings in it :/

PS; English's my second language... domokun  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:18 pm
i use mostly digital cause of a biig potential in a small package...
but still most concepts - especially the harder ones - i sketch with a pencil, so i think it can be taken as mixed technique, somewhat...

but i try to learn as much traditional as i can...

Catani

IzumiZagari

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:14 am
I like digital better, but I usually doodle out my illustrations and scan/color them on the computer. So I guess it's a mix of both. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:33 pm
It depends on the requirements of the job. I use whichever suits it best.

For my own personal work, I tend to use traditional media.  

rogue_designer

littlebro2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:24 pm
well i gotta say ive seen some realy amazing works done totaly digital i mean like amazing but i seem to like a mix of both but

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games