Welcome to Gaia! ::

Passport Japan日本のパスポート

Back to Guilds

Guild to teach, learn or talk about japanese language and culture 

Tags: Anime, Contest, Japanese, Giveaway, Free 

Reply Japanese language
Katakana Name Translation...How'd I do? Help!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did I do it right?
Yep, Good Job!!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
No, You loser...
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Almost...
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
No Clue...
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:19 am
So I attempted to translate my name

Catherine---> Kiyasarin---> キヤサリソ

Did I do it right?

Ki-Ya-Sa-Ri-N

The N confuses me... Katakana is suppose to be 2, and the N is 1... So I cheated a bit and looked up my name and I think I did it right, but I looked for the last character to see if it matched because I was confused.

Please Help.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:28 am
Are all Japanese names written in Katakana? Or just foreigners?  

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Daeuil

5,100 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:17 am
I could be wrong but im pretty sure only english names are written in katakana and Japanese/Chinese names are written in Kanji.
And im not 100% sure about this but i think your name would become Kyasarin coz the i is dropped when it is put together with ya yu yo.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:05 am
Katakana spelling can vary, I know I changed the way I wrote my name a few times before I decided on one way that I liked. For Catherine I'd probably go with:

キャサリン

or

カスリン

depending on how you like to pronounce your name. Japanese names are written in Kanji.  

Kai Shi

7,850 Points
  • Hive Mind 200
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:49 pm
Kai Shi
Katakana spelling can vary, I know I changed the way I wrote my name a few times before I decided on one way that I liked. For Catherine I'd probably go with:

キャサリン

or

カスリン

depending on how you like to pronounce your name. Japanese names are written in Kanji.

Alright, I'm still a little confused... but getting there.

カスリン is written in Kanji?
キャサリン is Katakana...

If I was to go to Japan and I needed to write my name, which one would I use?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:59 pm
fizz19
I could be wrong but im pretty sure only english names are written in katakana and Japanese/Chinese names are written in Kanji.
And im not 100% sure about this but i think your name would become Kyasarin coz the i is dropped when it is put together with ya yu yo.

That's a little confusing still, let me see if I understand...

When I looked up my name in Japanese on the baby website(cause yeah...) there wasn't anything. Kyasarin was the same. I think I was assuming that my name was an actual name in Japan, but it's not so that's why I would use Katakana. But if I was to go to Japan I would use Katakana not Kanji. Would I ever need to have my name written in Kanji?

When you name someone/something there really arn't any rules so that makes sense that Katakana would only be for names. Where as Kanji is more grammar right?

I hope that you understand what I think I understand.

Why do you drop the i?  

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50

JoysterSM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:05 pm
カスリン is still in katakana. "Kasurin."
キャサリン "Kyasarin." I guess it maybe just depends on which one you like more.

Katakana is really only used to write loan words (ie テレビ, TV) or 外人 (foriegner) names. Kanji is used for 日本人 (Japanese people)'s names.

You drop the "i" to make the sound smoother. Otherwise it would be pronounced "kee-ya" instead of "kya".  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:42 pm
Catherine
fizz19

That's a little confusing still, let me see if I understand...

When I looked up my name in Japanese on the baby website(cause yeah...) there wasn't anything. Kyasarin was the same. I think I was assuming that my name was an actual name in Japan, but it's not so that's why I would use Katakana. But if I was to go to Japan I would use Katakana not Kanji. Would I ever need to have my name written in Kanji?

When you name someone/something there really arn't any rules so that makes sense that Katakana would only be for names. Where as Kanji is more grammar right?

I hope that you understand what I think I understand.

Why do you drop the i?

you drop the i coz it makes it easier like ki+yo=kyo shi+yu=shu etc
And Japanese names and Chinese names both are in Kanji since kanji gives proper meaning to the names. Names in any other language are in Katakana.  

Daeuil

5,100 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Critic 0

Catherine

8,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:39 pm
Thank you Everyone. <3