Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Calling all expierenced Knitters........... I need HELP!!!!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AccentualWolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:08 pm
I have this idea for legwarms and I want to to try a basket weave stitch. The only thing is I don't understand it to well. Pattern in some of my books say to knit the knits and purl the purls, but some of the sections of look like stocknit stitch and I don't understand since in order to create that look you have to knit the purls and purl the knits. Can someone please help me out with this stitch.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:15 am
AccentualWolf
I have this idea for legwarms and I want to to try a basket weave stitch. The only thing is I don't understand it to well. Pattern in some of my books say to knit the knits and purl the purls, but some of the sections of look like stocknit stitch and I don't understand since in order to create that look you have to knit the purls and purl the knits. Can someone please help me out with this stitch.
If you go to www.knitting.about.com and click on the stitch library, that might provide better directions for the basketweave stich. I've never tried it myself, but from what I can tell you're just getting confused with the directions. Stockinette stitch is knit on the right side of the fabric, and purled on the wrong side - when you're acing the wrong side the stiches you knit last row look like purl stitches. Hope the site helps hun.  

gemini6184

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:36 pm
What the book is telling you is to knit what you see. Since it seems you are knitting flat and turning your needles every row, you are knitting what you previously purled. What any pattern that says "knit the knits and purl the purls" means is you are knitting when you see the "V"s and you are purling when you are seeing the "bumps." You are doing whatever is facing you. Ignore what stitch you actually did, and go by what is visually facing you.

If I haven't helped you, could you post the stitch pattern and I'll explain it step by step?  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games