Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)
Day of Silence 2011

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Harley91594

Wheezing Lunatic

5,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 pm
I might have posted something like this last year, but I can't remember. If I did, I couldn't find it, so I decided to rewrite this. Sorry if I am, in fact, re-posting.
Basically, Day of Silence is a day where you don't speak to show your support for the rights of the LGBT community.
Is anyone doing this? Last year I didn't speak, but I wrote "Day of Silence" on my hand and whenever anyone asked why I wasn't talking I just showed them my hand. I saw someone who was also participating that had rainbow duct tape across his mouth. That really got his message across, and no words were needed.
For anyone who is interested, it's on April 15, 2011. It's a Friday.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:00 pm
I used to participate every year. Probably won't this year seeing as I have a life(work) were I am required to speak, and I also find this event kind of useless.
"Blah blah blah IT'S FOR A GOOD CAUSE blah."
Well, what has not talking ever accomplished? Gay marriage is still illegal, homosexuals are still being teased/bullied/put down, the victims of hate crimes, killed, and resorting to suicide.
Soo... yeah. And this is coming from a GAY MAN.

xXxCrimson_ShadowxXx

Gracious Vampire

Harley91594

Wheezing Lunatic

5,350 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:10 pm
xXxCrimson_ShadowxXx
I used to participate every year. Probably won't this year seeing as I have a life(work) were I am required to speak, and I also find this event kind of useless.
"Blah blah blah IT'S FOR A GOOD CAUSE blah."
Well, what has not talking ever accomplished? Gay marriage is still illegal, homosexuals are still being teased/bullied/put down, the victims of hate crimes, killed, and resorting to suicide.
Soo... yeah. And this is coming from a GAY MAN.

That's completely understandable. I don't think Day of Silence helps a lot but it kind of spreads awareness. I think it's ironic that the point of the event is to "break the silence" by not speaking. It never made sense to me but I decided to do it anyway. Last year was the first time I'd even heard of the event. And it just worked out nicely for me last year because even though it was a school day, I don't talk much so most people didn't notice that I was completely silent anyway.
I guess the thing that makes me support this is that I hate how homosexuality is frowned upon in a world where people are encouraged to be true to themselves. I wanted to show support, but I didn't know how to do so without shoving my beliefs down someone's throat. Day of Silence seemed like a pretty harmless way for me to show support, but I do understand why it would seem useless.  
The Emo Guild (Down at the copa... copacabana)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games