Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Resident Evil: Mercenaries ported and released before 3DS

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Michi is a cat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:39 am
So, I gather everyone has heard of the upcoming multiplayer Resident Evil game, the Mercenaries, and is looking forward to it? I only just noticed yesterday, but the game has already been released... In the App Store!

Okay, so it's not the full 3DS experience, but a more "watered down" version. Here are some details and screenshots:

User Image

User Image

The title screen looks pretty good, I have to admit. The game is focused on the multiplayer aspect, allowing players to communicate over locally via Bluetooth or globally via WiFi. Players can host or join a game with four characters, either other players or AI. The game can be set to be a free-for-all, or two-on-two mode.

User Image

User Image

User Image

You can choose from the three main characters. Chris is slow, but packs a strong shotgun; Jill moves quicker, and her SMG takes out health pretty quickly; Wesker is a deity. Period.

User Image

User Image

The aim is to avoid or defeat any Ganados on the map (choose from fort and docks from RE5, as well as monastery from RE4), and eliminate your opponent players. In addition to weapons and healing items, you can also find Action Items, which temporarily alter the game rules (such as banning healing items or increasing enemy defense).

User Image

User Image

If your character is injured and enters the "red zone", you will move a lot slower, cannot change weapons, and also your health will continually decrease until either you are killed or healed by an ally in Team Battle Mode. The healing animation is... rather unfortunate. There are also bear traps and proximity bombs on some maps, and unlike RE4, you cannot disarm them with your weapons. The only way to get rid of them is to set them off with your own body.

You can play the game in single player mode too, with three other AI as opponents. Apparently, the online version is either too laggy or doesn't play at all, with many players citing the "connection timed out" error that is so infamous on the iPhone platform.

I find the game quite a good blast, especially with friends (over local connection), however, it may become repetitive. Especially when you attack an opponent, you literally just stand there and shoot them while they do the same to you. Also, Ganados always seem to attack only you, but never any opponent AI characters (or allied AI). On top of that, the controls are quike klunky; auto-aim is on by default, and is prone to spoiling headshots. Considering what Capcom could do for RE4 Mobile, I expected better from them.

Anywhoo, I expect the 3DS version will be much, much better than this. If you're willing to risk it, the App is currently on sale for $4.99.

PS.
Remember when I posted a review of Resident Evil 4: Mobile Edition? We all complained about how it covers only half the original storyline, and ends abruptly at Verdugo, whilst wondering if Capcom would ever complete it. Well, guess what? They answered our prayers. The App has been updated, and now the story is extended to the Saddler battle, complete with writhing eyeballs on his legs! I couldn't get a video of the final battle just yet, but here's a recording I made of Chapter 1 of Mobile RE4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grFQqgRNiZI  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:27 am
I'd actually seen this and was wondering how good it actually was. You sort of reconfirmed my suspicions. :p  

Waynebrizzle

Kuzodav

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:31 pm
Wesker from the start? That's not fair. But hey, RE fans like challenges from what I've seen, so that's no big deal.

Speeds is a new concept. I like it. But again, if you're going for score:
Use Jill!

Sweep their legs, having them writhe in pain, then run behind them, melee. Not only is it an insta-kill, it's easy, and it gives you a 5 second bonus. Plus it doesn't waste bullets for the BIG guys, when you need them.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:04 am
Resident Evil 4 Mobile Edition Update

Here are clips I made of the boss battles, to get a feel of what it's like:
1. El Gigante
2. Verdugo
3. Ramon Salazar
4. U3
5. Jack Krauser
6. Osmund Saddler  

Michi is a cat

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:06 am
Michi Kobayashi
Resident Evil 4 Mobile Edition Update

Here are clips I made of the boss battles, to get a feel of what it's like:
1. El Gigante
2. Verdugo
3. Ramon Salazar
4. U3
5. Jack Krauser
6. Osmund Saddler

Oh, so they finally finished the game? That's pretty cool.  
'Tendo Cult~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games