Reply ~*Proud Christians of Gaia*~
Pagan origins of Easter?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Short Melancholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:59 am
So anyone else heard about how easter originated with the celebration of a pagan goddess? I posted happy easter on my facebook and my cousin jumped on and was like i don't believe in Easter only resurrection day. What do you think? Too far? But Christmas originated with a pagan holiday as well.. idk I just don't think it's that big a deal we've been using the name Easter for so long you know?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:59 pm
I don't really care. It doesn't bother me.  

Yirah

Mega Hero

11,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:42 pm
Most if not all holidays have some sort of pagan connection. What separates the way we, as Christians, celebrate them is why we do. Easter should read as Passover because it is connected to the Passover.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:08 pm
Shadows-shine
Most if not all holidays have some sort of pagan connection. What separates the way we, as Christians, celebrate them is why we do. Easter should read as Passover because it is connected to the Passover.

^Pretty much this.^

How a holiday 'originated' doesn't mean squat. What you are actually celebrating, on the other hand, does. I might celebrate the resurrection on that day, and call it Easter. Your cousin calls it 'resurrection day', and celebrates the same thing.
Is the name really that big a deal if what we're celebrating remains the same? I mean, names change.  

Kyramud

Lonely Phantom

7,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Yirah

Mega Hero

11,000 Points
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:54 pm
Yeah. Even if it started out as something pagan, I'm celebrating Jesus.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:06 am
Short Melancholic
So anyone else heard about how easter originated with the celebration of a pagan goddess? I posted happy easter on my facebook and my cousin jumped on and was like i don't believe in Easter only resurrection day. What do you think? Too far? But Christmas originated with a pagan holiday as well.. idk I just don't think it's that big a deal we've been using the name Easter for so long you know?

Christmas....Christ.........mass......Christ = Jesus.....mass=catholic mass
I have troubles believing that Christmas was originally a pagan holiday....and easter Sunday......the third day from good Friday when Jesus was crucified....the name maybe...but not the day.....

thats all I have to put in for this conversation.....sorry if I was a disturbance  

kesuke uchiha

Blessed Genius

10,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Ametrin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:44 am
People did celebrate Easter already before Christianity, yes, as the time when spring begins which means new life and hope and such. But for both Jews and Christians the celebrations stem from different origins, just like Shadows shine said. That's also a thing that Jews and Christians have in common, that instead of celebrating natural cycles, we rather celebrate God's presence and deeds through history.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:24 am
ive always just celebrated the commercialized version of it but recently have given some thought to how i want to view easter in the future and how i want my future kids to view it. i think i may start going to church on the holiday but at the same time keeping some of the pagan fertility traditions of the holiday. i figure as long as im not praying to another god or anything it shouldt be an issue

with christmas i only celebrate the commercialized part of it. christ wasnt born in winter so i dont see why i should treat the holiday like his birthday, and i dont know enough of the pagan roots there. all i know is that the decorating the tree part is a pagan thing  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Short Melancholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:02 pm
kesuke uchiha
Short Melancholic

Christmas....Christ.........mass......Christ = Jesus.....mass=catholic mass
I have troubles believing that Christmas was originally a pagan holiday....and easter Sunday......the third day from good Friday when Jesus was crucified....the name maybe...but not the day.....

thats all I have to put in for this conversation.....sorry if I was a disturbance

In the past, people celebrated Saturnalia which lasted 12 days and the Church in order to combat the pagan holiday declared the last day of Saturnalia to be Christmas, in order to prevent the people from being too crazy cuz usually on the last day they would kill the Lord of Misrule  
~*Proud Christians of Gaia*~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games