The answer to everything is Revolution

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:29 pm
yip yip. I'm wondering what techs/vets prefer as parasite/heartworm meds.

I've never put Cowboy on any kind of preventive, but I've been told his dog school is in a hot spot for heartworm. Well, when I say hotspot I mean, like, 2 whole reported cases. In pharmacology we learned that Advantage is classified as a PESTICIDE but Revolution is an Avermectin which makes it much safer. Because of the blood brain barrier that mammals have, it doesn't affect the dog the way it does the parasite. It's also only one drug, as opposed to most other parasite drugs. And while it technically only provides protection from heartworm, it does aid in preventing rounds, hooks and whips.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:54 am
Personally for most things I don't like to treat until there's a proven problem. I do like to use Heartgard as a heartworm preventative, because Heartworm is much better being prevented then treated, and then use a flea/tick medication if they get fleas/ticks. All constantly using a preventative does is build up an immunity in the parasites.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:38 am
Shearaha
Personally for most things I don't like to treat until there's a proven problem. I do like to use Heartgard as a heartworm preventative, because Heartworm is much better being prevented then treated, and then use a flea/tick medication if they get fleas/ticks. All constantly using a preventative does is build up an immunity in the parasites.

I absolutely agree. If I put Cowboy on revolution it WOULD be for heartworm, the fact that it can help reduce his chances for other parasites is just a bonus. It's still just one drug, and arguably the safest anti parasitic drug.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:54 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Shearaha

I absolutely agree. If I put Cowboy on revolution it WOULD be for heartworm, the fact that it can help reduce his chances for other parasites is just a bonus. It's still just one drug, and arguably the safest anti parasitic drug.

Very true. For some reason I just don't like to use topicals. For me at least, it's easier to get a dog to take a small meat flavored treat then get them to sit still while I part the fur and get the tube open and get the liquid on the skin. Though that may just be because every dog I've every had has been unbelievably wiggly and interested in what it was i was doing between their shoulders xd  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:54 am
Shearaha
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Shearaha

Very true. For some reason I just don't like to use topicals. For me at least, it's easier to get a dog to take a small meat flavored treat then get them to sit still while I part the fur and get the tube open and get the liquid on the skin. Though that may just be because every dog I've every had has been unbelievably wiggly and interested in what it was i was doing between their shoulders xd

LOL, that's funny, I've been told the reason for topical treatments is it's suppose to be EASIER. Especially for cats, since most people have difficulty pilling their pets. Makes no difference to me.  
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:59 am
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

LOL, that's funny, I've been told the reason for topical treatments is it's suppose to be EASIER. Especially for cats, since most people have difficulty pilling their pets. Makes no difference to me.

These people have not met my cats stare
Have I mentioned that trimming Shearaha's nails (she's only got back ones) requires at least three people, always involves urine, feces and occasionally a**l glands and all three people end up bleeding.
Topical medications require two people and both end up bleeding.
But I can put a pill in her warmed up caned food and it's all gone.
You'd think with all the behavior and training books I've read and my current apprenticeship that I'd be able to handle my own cat, but no, she has to be difficult about everything.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:16 pm
There is no one answer to everything. Kirby doesn't tolerate topical meds at all. They leave him pacing for hours and suffering from flue like symptoms for 24-48 hours. Pill forms however don't even give him a pause. I'm willing to gamble the possible long term effects versus the very real effects that happen to dogs down here off heartworm meds. Chances are if the dog isn't taking heartworm meds in FL they are going to get heartworm.

I must admit I also personally prefer internal meds versus the external ones. It is nice to be able to pat Kirby on the head and then take out my mantis without worry. When we were trying the different topical stuff it stunk having to be completely hands off with him when the bugs were out and have to be super vigilant about washing my hands with soap. I also don't care for the greasy feel the meds always gives the fur. The companies may claim it isn't noticeable, but it is.  
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:35 am
I just switched over to Interceptor from heartgard. We use heartworm preventative year round. We live in a swampy area of NJ, so heartworm can be a problem around here.  

imderanged

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:23 pm
Our current vet office uses Revolution, and we started our cats on it a couple years back. We've actually had pretty good results with it. One of our cats who used to get irritated by Frontline doesn't even notice when we put it on. The only one who didn't do great on it as a kitten was our smallest guy, but he's fine now so long as we don't use the whole dose (he's just a small cat). I like the rubbing alcohol base - it sinks in and you literally can't see or smell where it was after a couple days. We tend to lax a bit with it in the winter, but now we're keeping up with it more going into summer.

I know some people don't like Revolution, but it works for us and our vets. > - >

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games