Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your opinion of Moffat?
  HE IS THE BEST!!!
  He's good.
  Still undecided on it.
  Terrible!
  Banish him to Gallifrey, locking him there in the Time Lock!
  Don't care.
View Results

Ricwulf

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 am
I just realised that there isn't a thread(Yet. Now there is, this one.) in releation to the thoughts of what Moffat is like in comparion to Russell T. Davies.

Personally, I've got my own summary of what I think of him.

He is excellent at one off episodes(The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fireplace, Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead, and of course Blink) and his concepts of enemies are really good (Cept the Silence/Silents)(The Vashta Nerada, Weeping Angels are great!).
But, in my opinion, he is terrible at a plot that spans over a season. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it wasn't that good in the end.

I keep thinking along a train of thought that our loved 10th Doctor wouldn't have fallen for the Pandorica. 11th has no intelligence compared to 10th.

Oh well, I'll have to live with it until we either get to the 12th, or we get a new writer.  
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:49 am
I don't think I can really compare Moffat and RTD...they're different guys with different styles...I think a lot of people dislike him simple because they miss David, or they're so used to how RTD structured the show and are annoyed by/afraid of change. In the past seasons, the episodes that stood out to me, that became my favorites were always Moffat's. His plots are strange and quirky, his monsters are terrifying. Credit to RTD for helping bring back the show, but aside from that I was never very fond of him and the choices he made [he really kicked a dead horse over all that "I Miss Rose" drama]

Things would have to drastically change for me to ever stop watching. I can always find something in each episode to love, get excited/confused over, laugh about. I'm just glad the show is around at all, regardless of who the stars/writers/producers are.

11 reminds me of the older Doctor's [2, 4 & 7, in particular] and he's a refreshing change from gloomy 10. I adore 10, and really miss David, but towards the end I just couldn't stand how RTD was writing him. It almost seemed as if RTD was intentionally turning 10 into an a*****e so that we wouldn't be so upset to see him go.

Anyways, all that said, I love Moffat and look forward to what this season brings.  

Maeko-Hana

Ricwulf

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:15 am
Maeko-Hana
I don't think I can really compare Moffat and RTD...they're different guys with different styles...I think a lot of people dislike him simple because they miss David, or they're so used to how RTD structured the show and are annoyed by/afraid of change. In the past seasons, the episodes that stood out to me, that became my favorites were always Moffat's. His plots are strange and quirky, his monsters are terrifying. Credit to RTD for helping bring back the show, but aside from that I was never very fond of him and the choices he made [he really kicked a dead horse over all that "I Miss Rose" drama]

Things would have to drastically change for me to ever stop watching. I can always find something in each episode to love, get excited/confused over, laugh about. I'm just glad the show is around at all, regardless of who the stars/writers/producers are.

11 reminds me of the older Doctor's [2, 4 & 7, in particular] and he's a refreshing change from gloomy 10. I adore 10, and really miss David, but towards the end I just couldn't stand how RTD was writing him. It almost seemed as if RTD was intentionally turning 10 into an a*****e so that we wouldn't be so upset to see him go.

Anyways, all that said, I love Moffat and look forward to what this season brings.

I have to agree, excluding Human Nature/Family of Blood, first of each season eps and finals, all my favourites are also Moffat's. I also agree towards the end, 10 was getting a little depressing, which I wasn't a fan of, but it was a part of his character. But RTD could write a season/series plot, and I personally(even though we are only one season into it) didn't like Moffat's S5 plot.

I also don't like what he has made the Doctor into. I know, a knew generation, a new personality, but he has lost so much intelligence. I remember my friend giving 11 a sub-title, and that was that he is the "Child Doctor", in that he has a personality like that of a young child. I have no real problem with that, but he seems to have the problem solving of one too, what is information without the knowledge of how to use it?

Anyway, I'm ranting again, a very bad quality(truely bad when you're trying to do class-work).  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 pm
I think it's funny Russ' gets stick for continually flogging his own favourite plotpoint long past it's sell by date when Moff seems to be doing essentially just that with River and the whole Silence issue.

Much as I was critical of RTD's tendency to heap series-wide continuity nods into supposedly standalone episodes at least he didn't come up with an entire *character* who just pops up for no rhyme or reason in the middle of an ep to do do nothing at all to advance the plot.

Moffat's a fine writer, and as everyone keeps repeating his episodes are amongst some of the show's very finest. As a showrunner he's perhaps a little too keen on trying to look smart with all his crazy, time-crossing shenanigans, and that sometimes just comes off as looking contrived and excessive. He's *got* the fanbase, after all. It's not like we're going to go anywhere for the series finale just because we haven't been told a hajiillion times in the build-up that it's going to be extra super crazy.  

Jettrick

Aged Noob

2,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:52 pm
I agree with Jettrick: It seems like Moffat is trying too hard to outdo himself unnecessarily. He doesn't have to be better every time, he just shouldn't be worse. That said, his stories are still fantastic. And to be honest, I do like his plot arcs. I like the more wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey stuff! I was really excited when Moffat took over, and, overall, I haven't been disappointed.

RTD, while he did great in his time, had really started to piss me off with the way he was writing Ten. It just go too soap-opera-y, with the Doctor constantly moaning over Rose. NOT ALL OF US LIKED ROSE, RTD!!! However, I still loved RTD's tenure, because that's when I fell in love with the show; and props to him for bringing it back!

As far as the Eleventh Doctor goes, I love him! Matt Smith has done a wonderful job and I feel that the character is well-written, even if some things can be contradictory. Personally, I think Ten would have fallen for the Pandorica trick, too, but maybe that's just me. I think Eleven has plenty of intelligence in comparison; he seems a bit more quick-thinking, as opposed to the often action-hero, technobabbling Ten. I love them both equally.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:32 am
I have to say, I liked Rose, but I just couldn't undertand why nobody liked Martha?! So many people didn't like her, and I didn't mind her.

I deffinately agree with you on how RTD was writing Ten towards the end, it was getting a little too mopey.
As for liking Eleven, I don't know, I like him, but he is too secretive, and not in a good way. Good secretive is like in The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone, where he tells Amy to trust him without knowing why. Bad secretive is like in The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People. And overall it tends to lean to the bad side(but not as bad as that).
Eleven is also written to seem "dumbed down", for lack of a better word. I dunno, he just has flaws that I don't like. He is deffinately the Doctor, but is he doesn't seem good, even though I know he is. I dunno, Moffat just writes good episodes, not so much story arcs which can let down an episode(Although this season is having a better story arc than the previous, in that it is a bigger cliffhanger)  

Ricwulf

The Doctor Who Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff