Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Need help identifying what could be runes on an old pendant Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Death By Kaiju

Hygienic Gekko

5,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:13 am
yoyo.

i've had this old jade pendant for about 14 years now, found in a field somewhere. it's got markings on it which do not look too dissimilar to old anglo-saxon runes.

http://i.imgur.com/2CHoY.jpg

^picture.

essentially i'm wondering whether or not the markings, (particularly those lower down) have any occult meaning. the top shape looks kinda like a spider to me.

i'm quite a spiritual person, and while this pendant has deep personal meaning, i'm curious whether or not this was created with the occult in mind, or just someone with a knack for carving pretty shapes.

thanks for any help.

edit: curiously the patterns are the exact same on the other side.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:00 pm
I'm thinking of the possibility that the markings are just roman numerals. XD
But I highly doubt it.  

monckey77

Dedicated Genius

9,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

Death By Kaiju

Hygienic Gekko

5,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:35 pm
To be fair that's something I never considered, but seems obvious. :s But the fact it's II then X wouldn't make sense, the larger valued letter always comes first.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:55 pm
Death By Kaiju
To be fair that's something I never considered, but seems obvious. :s But the fact it's II then X wouldn't make sense, the larger valued letter always comes first.

doing a quick look up on runes, it's possible to be of viking runes...
http://www.crystalcavern.com/media/runes.jpg
Isa Isa Gebo?
iig
Gebo/Gifu meaning Gift/Partnership
Isa meaning Ice/Power
Since runes are read from right to left...
it's a rune invoking the gift of ice powers.  

monckey77

Dedicated Genius

9,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:03 pm
Death By Kaiju

just to be picky, thats not true. larger comes first when adding, but after if subtracting.
X||= 12
||X=8
or more commonly seen on old grandfather clocks, |V=4, V|=11

okay now to the pendant. off first glance, i wouldn't think it was just numerals beacuse the format. romans were in lines, not.......hmm i just thought of something sweatdrop if they were numbers, they aren't roman, but could be anothers. older. to find the name, i'd have to dig up my old history book so i could then try and do research on it ti be sure.......
but hmm......quite a puzzle now. many things on it could be many different things.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:09 pm
monckey77
Death By Kaiju

Isa Isa Gebo?
iig
Isa meaning Ice/Power

this was something else i'd considered, but was thrown off by the repeating of the isa. do you know if repetition is a frequent occurence?

and thanks for everyone's help. the shape at the top, to me at least, looks spidery. what does it look like to anyone else?  

Death By Kaiju

Hygienic Gekko

5,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Regular 100

Death By Kaiju

Hygienic Gekko

5,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:11 pm
BSPBleach
Death By Kaiju

just to be picky, thats not true. larger comes first when adding, but after if subtracting.
X||= 12
||X=8

okay now to the pendant. off first glance, i wouldn't think it was just numerals beacuse the format. romans were in lines, not.......hmm i just thought of something sweatdrop if they were numbers, they aren't roman, but could be anothers. older. to find the name, i'd have to dig up my old history book so i could then try and do research on it ti be sure.......
but hmm......quite a puzzle now. many things on it could be many different things.

realised that after i posted! aha, drinking does that to a man.

if you could have a look i'd really appreciate it!  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:11 pm
lol a new since i've actually read monckeys post >.>

It does look similar......(well exactly but whatever)
one of the reason i thought it might be that older numerals, is the two setss of line atop the || and X. they look almost exactly like the japanese ichi and nee, (not saying its those, just the first comparison that came to mind) so I was thinknig the box was numbers. if i remember correctly, if it were these numbers they square would be 2 under it would 20, then it'd be 3, then 100. though i dont see what good it'd do........

random thought that doesnt make since, but maybe a map of some sort?
thinking the pic on top, that you think looks like a spider, reminds me of an old pic i saw of the sunrise, maybe for direction? and the rest are roads and a building or location..........im not sure. like i said it was a random thought that popped in just now.......  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:13 pm
Death By Kaiju
BSPBleach
Death By Kaiju

X||= 12
||X=8

realised that after i posted! aha, drinking does that to a man.

if you could have a look i'd really appreciate it!

dont take this thee wrong way, but something like this.....you couldn't stop me from looking into!! rofl  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:18 pm
I'm going under the final assumption that if this was made in a middle school it is just mere gibberish, if it was made in a high school it was probably an assignment.

Since it was from school I suggest going to the art rooms and asking about it, worst case scenario: they take it away from you as they know whose it is.
Best case: they know what it is.

If they have no idea then your best to assume that it was made in mass production and probably does mean invoking of ice powers, also runes letters can be put next to each other.

I have thought of it being a map but since it is made from jade, it usually isn't specified where it is so it may be a tourist pendent if it was a map.  

monckey77

Dedicated Genius

9,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

Death By Kaiju

Hygienic Gekko

5,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:21 pm
not sure where we got the idea it was from a school?

for more context. live in england, in hertfordshire. the place is was found was a semi-private field, close to a golf club but not used for golfing. so private land. i'll ask my dad more about where he found it if i can. also important to note it's over 14 years since he found it. for most of my life i've always had it with me.

i'm still considering that it was produced recently by the fact both sides look damn near symmetrical to my eyes.

still if the symbols mean something it's interesting!  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:29 pm
Assuming the picture is meant to be looked at from a 90 degree angle, the middle symbol looked vaguely like a stave from Ogham, but there's no stave that's got two strokes on the left, and three on the right.

BSPBleach
Death By Kaiju

X||= 12
||X=8

I don't think IIX would be used for 8 - VIII's normally used. As an FYI, the vertical stroke used in Roman numerals for 1 is just a capital I, so you can use it as normal.

monckey77
Death By Kaiju

Isa Isa Gebo?
iig
Isa meaning Ice/Power

That seems pretty unlikely. I doubt runes were read purely by taking one meaning and idiosyncratically ramming them together. Why would the two Is be put together, but the X is given a seperate "box", and why is there an uneven number of strokes above the two? Not only that, but the characters on the "left" look like they've got slight curves at the bottom: runes were largely straight-lines.  

Rustig

4,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

monckey77

Dedicated Genius

9,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:29 pm
Death By Kaiju

for more context. live in england, in hertfordshire. the place is was found was a semi-private field, close to a golf club but not used for golfing. so private land. i'll ask my dad more about where he found it if i can. also important to note it's over 14 years since he found it. for most of my life i've always had it with me.

i'm still considering that it was produced recently by the fact both sides look damn near symmetrical to my eyes.

Sorry field instantly reminded me of school, so I guess I subliminally stuck that in there XD
if it's symmetrical it was most likely a tourist object, but yeah it is nice to know what it means.

Mitsch brings up a good point, which dismisses my statement, further looking up is in due! -goes off googling-  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:38 pm
monckey77
Death By Kaiju

Sorry field instantly reminded me of school, so I guess I subliminally stuck that in there XD
if it's symmetrical it was most likely a tourist object, but yeah it is nice to know what it means.

Mitsch brings up a good point, which dismisses my statement, further looking up is in due! -goes off googling-

though the symmetry could have been established by someone using a stencil to graft.

i agree with mitsh, i'm not entirely sure that they are anglo saxon runes, just because of the II. may just be a non descript pattern.

and yes, the part with the metal at the top is the top of the pendant; my picture took at an odd angle, haha.

cheers for the help so far!

edit: other things i've noticed- the carving is very very light. when held up to a really bright light, it's impossible to make out anything, the jade looks translucent.  

Death By Kaiju

Hygienic Gekko

5,150 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Regular 100

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:47 pm
yes mitsh i know that IIX isn't common, but XII was the first thing that popped into my head, so I went with it ><

and I was wondering bout the top lines as well. They actually what reminded me of those old numbers which i belive might've been from the Isles.......i'm not sure been awhile since i read it. And the lines might have a slit intentionally, acciedentlly, or if it was carved deep enough, is just an illusion caused by the angle.

(and since I just managed to understand what monckey said bout iig, is there a possiblity that iig itself is a word?)

and how old is the pendant that tourism came into play? normally mass produced items, especially tourist ones, have a stamp on it. like from where it was imported from, or from who made it if it was local.  
The Occult Research Society

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff