Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
A Rather Interesting Conversation with My Cousin Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Exorcise the demon!
  *smack*
  Yeah... Uh... >.>
  *clears throat* Just give me the gold and shut up.
View Results

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:13 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:49 pm
Interesting indeed. you were right the whole time though. I guess she didn't listen to you, I mean, the whole time you are telling her to stop degrading your beliefs, and let people believe what thye want, but she keeps ranting on and on about how evolution is faulty, etc. Doesn't she realize Christianity has fallacies as well?  

Tiptoer

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:23 pm
What was she telling yout to read, anyways?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:29 pm
Dude.... That's just like out where I live. I am the only atheist, and if I make an argument, they ignore me completely just like that... I don't see why they do that... just let people lead their own lives.  

Uchihas Blood

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:47 pm
She was telling me to read an essay she had to write for school or something. If I were to actually take the time and read it, which I didn't, you could point out a butt load of fallacies.

And yes, it is irritating. She herself lives in GA. I get to spend five lovely days with her during my spring break... *sigh*

I'm the only true atheist in my family. In my extended family, they're all christian (during new years I felt really weird while they prayed at dinner... it'd been a long time since I'd eaten with them, and forgot that they did that >.>; ) and my nuclear family is agnostic. Sooo... Yeah...

What really weirded me out though, was when she tried to summon my mother. eek That was a little weird, have to admit.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:02 pm
PickleBoy

What really weirded me out though, was when she tried to summon my mother. eek That was a little weird, have to admit.

Yeah... I wasn't aware that it was common Christian practice to summon the dead. I thought that belonged more to the realm of witchcraft, which is of course a big no-no for Christians. <__<  

iviary

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:16 pm
Yeah thats what I thought as well. Like I said, really weird. I have to admit, it freaked me out a little. lol  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:33 pm
Wow...She sounds a little biased, one-sided, stubborn. I think you were doing very good at the argument, where you wouldn't tell her she was wrong. Good for you. I was disgusted by some of the stuff she said, though.  

Rune WolfHaven

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:22 am
Yeah, I was as well. Actually it made me really angry, I'm just glad that I didn't lose my temper. ^^

Whats worse is that we had this conversation earlier that month when I'd visited my family, we'd taken the dogs out for a walk and she had gone on and on, basically saying a lot of the same things. She also bashed the Democratic party, Muslims and Buddhists as well. Its a little sickening.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:13 am
PickleBoy
Yeah, I was as well. Actually it made me really angry, I'm just glad that I didn't lose my temper. ^^

Whats worse is that we had this conversation earlier that month when I'd visited my family, we'd taken the dogs out for a walk and she had gone on and on, basically saying a lot of the same things. She also bashed the Democratic party, Muslims and Buddhists as well. Its a little sickening.
I know how you feel. I have a few cousins like that. xp  

Orson Welles

TofuDreamer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:31 pm
It's alright, I have that conversation with my friends sometimes. The only thing you can do is to know that they have the same tenacity as you do to protect their beliefs.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:58 pm
I dunno, all she was really interested in was bashing my own beliefs. I mean I can understand standing up for yourself, but... *sighs* Sometimes she gets out of hand and its... well, grating on the nerves.  

PickleBoy

subtleessence134

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:44 pm
That's because most Christians are taught that they are only protecting you by making you convert. There are many denominations of Christianity that teach that if you love someone, you'll make them a Christian to save their soul. What your cousin is going through is probably really tough because she honestly thinks that she is letting you down as long as you remain Atheist. As for the issue of being able to control oneself, that too is something taught in many Christian denominations. The Bible is their source of a moral code. Those who lack the Bible must therefore lack a moral code. Unfortunately, there are still many Christians who have yet to subscribe to the Romantic notion of innate human goodness. I suppose the only thing you can say to make her feel better is just that God loves all good people, and since you are a good person, God will love you even if you're not a Christian. Syllogistic, yes, but it has persuaded many of my more Evangelical friends to let me be for the time being (being from TX, that's a lot of 'em). Don't get me wrong, I love 'em to death, but they all think they're doing the right thing when they get up in your face. Like an intervention for an alcoholic. You catchin' my drift?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:22 pm
I am. Thank you for the advice. I'll have to use it this spring break. ^^  

PickleBoy

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:01 am
Wow! VEry Laughable.  
The Main Discussion Place