Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Occult Research Society
Replacing certain tools

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Leeches in my peaches

Distinct Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:18 am
I read tarot- A lot. And my cards are normally kept in their original box. I like having something portable and safe for them, but as time goes on and the usage- the box is getting badly beaten up and the cards are still in a very good condition.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get another tarot box, that's still portable? I don't want to carry a big wooden storage box, but I don't want a bag where they may float around and get damaged?

Thank you~

If anyone else needs advice on how to replace certain tools or whatnot please feel free to ask here as well.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 am

What is their original box like? The best choice would be to make it yourself, not only to save money, but also because it means more if it's something that comes from you.

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Leeches in my peaches

Distinct Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:05 pm
A regular deck box. Its like almost cardboard but a little thinner. I'm just not sure where to find a sturdy but pliable material or I would make it myself.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm
i agree with vanilla
simply making one shouldn't be that hard and having one that you made yourself wold be interesting ^^  

neko-mata-01

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:43 pm
I don't know how large your cards are, but if they're small enough you might be able to find a standard collectible card game deck box for them. I've never seen a Tarot deck that small before though so that may be no good.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:44 am

If you can find a big piece of cardboard or maybe even that paper people use to make posters on (forget what it's called, the stuff you usually need in school when doing projects?) You could fold it into a box.

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:59 am
i wouldnt suggest using cardboard materials as cardboard isnt normally very resistant against blunt and sharp force trauma or the elements. i would find a modeling or hobby store and get a sheet or balsa wood. it's light, and if varnished is durable against the elements and blunt/sharp force trauma. you could always two ply it if your worried bout it being flimsy (which you probably would when you see it) just find some glue and stick the two pieces together. now im not sure what kind of box you had before......i have a purse that was like the exact same size as the deck, so i use that. you could build any box you want if you make it though......and any quality. hehe im designing all different kinds of boxes now sweatdrop so i'll hush now.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:18 am
Vanilla eXee

If you can find a big piece of cardboard or maybe even that paper people use to make posters on (forget what it's called, the stuff you usually need in school when doing projects?) You could fold it into a box.

Either foam board, or chip board. If you make yourself a template you could also fold it and glue it like a standard card box, and even print your own images on it.

Graphics is my specialty. emo  

Sonkurra-Taichou

Dapper Guildsman

7,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300

Leeches in my peaches

Distinct Prophet

8,500 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:10 pm
Sonkurra-Taichou
Vanilla eXee

Either foam board, or chip board. If you make yourself a template you could also fold it and glue it like a standard card box, and even print your own images on it.

Graphics is my specialty. emo

The foam idea sounds wonderful actually. Thank you.

@BSPBLEACH- Yeah, that's my issue. I carry them everywhere just in case... doubling up isn't a bad idea though.

@Vanilla eXee- Posterboard.. I think that's the material the boxes are made out of, or very similar. Also a really good idea...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:14 pm
i like the posterboard idea, but unless im thinking of a different kind of posterboard, wont it be damaged easily? its strong and all...but thats why i suggested balsa wood. its thin and light. could do both? or find something that heaven forbid is all 4 ><  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:11 pm
BSPBleach
i like the posterboard idea, but unless im thinking of a different kind of posterboard, wont it be damaged easily? its strong and all...but thats why i suggested balsa wood. its thin and light. could do both? or find something that heaven forbid is all 4 ><

Isn't balsa wood kinda fragile? The only time I ever used it was shop class and it broke very easily. Could have been a cheap kind though since it was provided free in school. I dunno about Leeches, but the stuff I keep in my purse would easily crush/puncture the stuff we used in class. I think cardboard was more sturdy, although it will wear down in time.

And yes, that's it, posterboard! Lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:21 pm
Vanilla eXee
BSPBleach

Isn't balsa wood kinda fragile? The only time I ever used it was shop class and it broke very easily. Could have been a cheap kind though since it was provided free in school. I dunno about Leeches, but the stuff I keep in my purse would easily crush/puncture the stuff we used in class. I think cardboard was more sturdy, although it will wear down in time.

And yes, that's it, posterboard! Lol.

then yes you have the cheap kind. why i referred a hobby or modeling store. they have higher quality. for something as small as a deck of cards, a two ply box would be strong enough. it looks really flimsy yeah and the low quality is. the high quality i use is much stronger 3nodding
probably not strong enough to stand on of course, but neither is any kind of form board or cardboard razz  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
The Occult Research Society

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items