Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Solid proof (and imaginary shillings) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Imaginary shilling? 0.o
  Here you go!!! (and some gold)
View Results

I2aichu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:43 am
A lot of my friends say that there is no solid proof that there is no god. When I reply that there is no proof that there is a god either they say that there is and quote the bible. To which I counter the bible is a big book of lies and some good morals thrown in. They then mumble something about a body of water splitting because of a meteorite, and this happening around moses time.
So I have two questions:
1. Is there any solid proof that there is no god?
2. Has anyone else heard about this meteorite splitting bodies of water theory, and is that even possible?

Oppinions? Ramblings?

Edit: I've decided to give imaginary shillings to everyone who replies to this thread to attract more people  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:46 am
Are the forrums busy enough here that it requires bumping to stay on the first page... Is bumping aloud?  

I2aichu

I2aichu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:52 am
crying Peoples!!! where art thou?! thats it I'm adding a catchy title: Solid proof (and chocolate imaginary shillings )  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:31 pm
Dear ******** x.x xD The posts on the first page range back to early January. You have a month before you need to bump again 3nodding
And bumping is allowed if it's your topic, it goes off the first page, and you want to get more replies.

There is no solid proof, for or against. It's not something you can ever have solid proof for either.
You can also argue that there's no solid proof and use it in support of God's existence-> God's mind and power are infinite whereas human intelligence is limited in comparison and human's simply can't fully comprehend God and his purposes/actions/etc.

And, sorry, I know nothing of this meteoritesplittingwatermoseslongtimeagobeforeevenlanzerwasborn theory.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

iviary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:31 pm
You can't prove something exists by being unable to prove it doesn't exist. I can't PROVE that there aren't invisible silent unicorns prancing about my room, but that does not prove that there are.

And IF there were a meteor that had come and split the waters [{cough} long enough for a bunch of people to cross the sea, but not long enough for their pursuers to cross], wouldn't that fall under the category of coincedence, rather than miracle? I don't grasp how that supports the existance of a god.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:09 pm
A meteorite is a lump of rock. It becomes very hot when it strikes our atmosphere, and most of them tend to break up there.

For the sake of the idea though, it creates a circle like effect, throwing the matter that it hits around in a circular pattern.

The effect of one hitting a large body of water would be very similar to the effect of throwing a stone down into a pond with all your strength.

What happens? It doesn't split the water in a verticle, or horizontal line.

It makes a circular splash so to speak. It also leaves ripples.

Throw a brick into a puddle of water and it makes a big splash. If you were to scale things down, and make the puddle of water an ocean, and ants people....logically the effect of the impact would drown anyone standing by the sea in a very wide radius.

Now this splitting of water that is dealt with in the bible has the water being cut away in the middle as a verticle line...and the effect is that of taking two blades cutting through a block of cheese, and then moving the blades out-ward in opposition of each other, creating a space between the two blocks of cheese.

Water does not react in that way. It is not solid...and therefore it would be vastly difficult to create that effect desired. Plus if the meteorite was very big, and very hot...it's effect on the ecological structure would be simply horrible.

Is there any stories in the bible during Moses's time of a mass ecological disaster caused by a meteor hitting the earth? No there isn't.

The whole idea of parting a sea of water is very very illogical...and improbable.

Logic also kills the meteorite theory as well.

Sanguvixen

Rune WolfHaven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:22 pm
Personally, I think that beliving there is a god is basically saying that the bible, which is just like every other book in the world (human author and everything) is the proof. If we have to rely on a book to tell us whether there is a god, why don't we idolize books like Harry Potter, for example? I believe that the bible contradicts itself in so many ways. One that I believe proves there is no god is the fact that if god loves us all, then why does he let so many of his believers have horrible lives? We run our own lives. God does nothing for our lives. I believe that the church is just a way to keep people in check. Sort of a way the government has designed so that less people will break laws. As for the meteorite, who has proof that one did land around Moses's time?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:46 pm
1. Hrm, I thought deities didn't need proof. It's religion, not science. Isn't Christianity commonly referred as "the Faith", after all?

Anyway, the supposed evidence, The Bible, author unknown, is highly outdated, has been revised and translated multiple times, and the sources are questionable. I mean, really. It doesn't even have a proper bibliography. I have to question the fact-checking of the people writing and publishing it.

2. Unlikely. If it was possible, it'd mean the people who wrote the Bible were superstitious and somehow didn't notice the huge meteorite falling into the water. Lemme guess, Moses said "Okay, now turn around", his people did so, and when they turned around, they didn't notice the gigantic meteorite in the middle of the path cleared by said gigantic rock?

S. Shark

decaZetta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:30 pm
There is no proof that there is no god but there is no proof that there is a god either. However if there is a god, I have a hard time believeing that a god would let its self go unknown if it wanted to punish those who don't believe in it. To me thats proof that there is no god, or atleast a god in a western religious sense.

There really isn't much to add to the meteor theory that hasn't already been said. I would like to say though that if a meteor did bend the laws of physics and split water then all of Moses's followers would have died along with the Egyptians who were following them due to the mass amount of energy given off by the meteoroid as it collides into the ground. Not to mention that there would be evidence of an impact around that time in history if a meteor had really hit.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:54 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

iMito

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:22 pm
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:47 pm
God essentially doesn't want to be proven to be in existance, or else he would make himself known. So, if he did want his existance to be proven, it would be impossible to prove his existance. If we did prove it, it would make him imperfect.  

iMito

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:32 am
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:12 am
In the average mind, there are many things that prove that God exists. They have:

1. The Bible (A book that was most likely written by a person rolleyes )
2. They say that they can "feel" him (Or it could just be gas)
3. The only logical explanation to how the Earth was created was that "God" created it ( For the exception of the other 1,000,000,000,000 possibilities as to how the world was created)

Orson Welles

iMito

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:02 am
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items