Liked it!
  Disliked it. :(
  Will probably get it!
  Don't want to get it!
View Results

Canine Blood

Friendly Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:31 pm
Hey Haven't posted in here in a LONG while. But I just picked up the newest version of fear and thought I would comment.

Ok for those not up to date or know NOTHING I'll fill ya in first...

First Encounter Assault Recon or F.E.A.R is a group made to counter and combat the Paranormal of the games universe. The largest of these threats is a 12 year old girl named Alma who's Paranormal and Psychic abilities are a grave threat to very existence itself.

In the first game you are a man simply called Point man. Your task is to Learn and contain a threat. This threat is called Alma. A young girl who was experimented on to become a beacon of Psychic power. Due to this experimentation however she turned on the scientists responsible for her. Using a man named Paxton Fettle she would command a legion of Super soldiers called Replica Soldiers to accomplish this.

(Highlight here for more Spoiler info)
During Game Play find out that Alma is the Daughter of Harlan Wade a lead scientist of Project origin. Alma is also explained to be the Mother of Paxton Fettle and Point man.

In the second game you play a man named Michael Becket who is tasked with rescuing a member of the Project Origin's science team. However much like with Point man the deck is stacked against you greatly. You are pulled into the struggle against Alma through the scientist you just saved. Soon you are again tasked to Repel and eliminate Alma. With that you find yourself thrown into thousands of Replica soldiers in order to complete your mission.

(Again more Spoiler type info to highlight)
During the game play you find out about Two other projects that were being worked on. The First called Harbinger which was a project created to make more Psychic commanders using humans with Existing psychic abilities. Becket and his team were Candidates until the previous games ending. However the team would be re-purposed to fight against Alma. The other project was Project Paragon which was a long-term research project intended to screen and assess psychic children, based at Wade Elementary School(Coincidence?). The school itself is a facility designed to secretly develop young children into psychic agents for Armacham, through the use of subliminal messaging, drugs, and covert surgery. The most notable to come from this project was Alma herself.

Now for the good stuff. In the third installment you are returned to the world as Point man to again attempt to stop Alma but for a VERY different reason.

Ok now that your caught up in my opinion I felt all the complainers and doubters were wrong about the third installment. The very fact that multiplayer exists in campaign made me more excited and made my experience far greater. I greatly enjoyed having another person there to help me along and although in a sense it did ruin some of the suspense and fear the game creates it just made the game more fun. Although when you play with someone like me who show boats to be the high scorer its less fun.

The only complaint I have is the in game challenges they have. Some of which I have found myself trying only to find the only way to do it is to have my hind end handed to me. Even on recruit you will find the game slightly challenging as the bots tend to be very accurate with their guns. Well those with guns... In the end when I tried to match up the challenge to the amount of things found in the games well... It only added up if a specific mod was apart of that board. An even then the level of difficulty to complete the challenge was a little high. But over all the challenges made the game something you worked on instead of just played.

Ok Review time!

With the multiplayer... As explained in the opening of my little review I have heard more complaints then praises. I for one felt it ADDED to the game instead of hindered it. Player one plays the gun Toting Point man who has the ability to slow time and very handy reflexes in combat. Player two plays Fettle who can do many tricks Psychically. The only draw back to playing as Fettle is he cannot tote weapons like Point man. If your good at working as a team this dynamic duo can do a great deal of damage. However in the wrong hands I can see why people would complain. Even in split screen though I found myself enjoying the story line seeing both sides and seeing both people being used. The major draw back however is the suspense of some things is lost in translation which is why I suggest before you play Multiplayer you play the story line single player. Only then can you really enjoy the suspense. As for actual multiplayer I will edit this when I have more chance to try it. Seeing as the multiplayer is under used on the PSN.

Story... I wont ruin it for you as I tried not to ruin it my synopsis of the first two games. I do feel the story was less intense as the first two. Instead of straight up Panic and fear you get some very mixed emotions through the story line. I for one felt it was a nice change of pace although I'm sure any fans of the series would have felt very disappointed.
(This topic is short for a reason)

Graphics... With a new era in graphic design I felt the change was greatly appreciated. I played 1-2 with a few of the minor story line games. First gen felt overly boxy and although some would say it wasn't I felt it was. Second was also a little boxy for my taste but greatly enhanced from the first. With the third you find the graphics more up to date with the rest of the games out there. An with Horror comes Very dark and gruesome places you have to crawl your way through. It felt very realistic as you made your way through the levels although with Paranormal how realistic can you be...

Level Design... This one was the ringer for me. Unlike the first two games you don't have as much room to run around in. But again your given cover now allowing you to temporarily hide from the action. Although in many cases the enemy will flank you if you stay put too long. There are a few very open levels with in the game but most are Mech sequences in which your far bigger then everything else on the board. My favorite level is definitely the airport simply because you get that mix of Mech sequences and tight combat. Very think on your toes or die.

Well as ya'll can tell I'm trash at writing reviews but I thought since no one posted it and as a HUGE fan of the FEAR series I would post it myself. I feel the games themselves really brought the horror Genre a gold star although it was highly unsung unless you played it yourself.

Anyway hope ya'll didn't have to strain yourself to read my grammatical incorrectness, horrible spelling, and repetitiveness. I really felt this game although very popular on the 360 should be greater sung on the PS3.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:35 am
i tried that "JAM" but i prefer "hunny" on my pancakes.  

Nekromantlc
Crew

Friendly Fatcat

8,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Befriended 100

Hikigane_Trijen

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:02 am
Dude this is a very good review lol I like how you told a little something about other Fear games also. You should do more reviews lol.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:43 pm
IN DEPTH BRO, reviews by the fans is what i wanted to see! Keep posting and now would've been a great time to throw in your opinion on this "online pass going on".  

tatakai12
Crew

Game Reviews.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces