Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)
Telling my Parents...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GM Phish

6,400 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:39 am
So it's been almost 5 years of my practice within the occult. All this time I've been working in secret, and I feel it is time to let my parents know. I cannot simply go on feeling like I'm living a lie to them.

My parents are Christian, and so am I. The only difference between us is my choice to study in the occult. They are quite 'religious', meaning they are well versed in the scripture, but not like in a annoying bible-thumper type of way. I mean they have real genuine faith. Because they are so pure, and have raised me to be so too, I'm just not sure how to tell them.

Any advice? or even stories about telling your loved ones about what you do? Thanks.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:48 pm
i really don’t know honestly
my whole family is also religious and i know a lot of people who are religious, more specifically in faiths such as Christianity, don’t like occult. (which in a way is kinda stupid since they are quite related to one another).
so yeah confused  

neko-mata-01

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:30 pm

Fish first! Mention something you saw on TV or online about people who practice and see what they say. That way you'll be able to gauge their reaction when you 'come out'.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:26 pm
I like what Nilla has to say.

My family no doubt thinks I'm eccentric and have to have some hint that I'm involved in the occult (even though they probably wouldn't use that word). They don't seem to care so I see no reason to give them all the gory details.

But like Nilla said, fish first if you really want to tell them.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Zalaznick Valkyrie

Decisive Smoker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:56 pm
I say, if you do decide to tell them, bring up the good points?
Such as the majority of holidays that were adopted by the christian faith, that were of pagan origin, that... are more or less celebrated in the same fashion. Or you could always claim that you are studying the other faiths to help reassure your own personal faith. It's like a history lesson PLUS parental reassurance bundled into one.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:38 pm
I suggest trying to pull out all the calm details and worst case scenario rip your shirt say "you guise don't love me" and run away from home, come back an hour after their shocked and then you got your self no secrets left to hide...RECOMMENDED TO WEAR TWO LAYERS OF SHIRTS ON THE TIME OF SHIRT RIPPING  

monckey77

Dedicated Genius

9,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:04 pm
monckey77
I suggest trying to pull out all the calm details and worst case scenario rip your shirt say "you guise don't love me" and run away from home, come back an hour after their shocked and then you got your self no secrets left to hide...RECOMMENDED TO WEAR TWO LAYERS OF SHIRTS ON THE TIME OF SHIRT RIPPING
rofl rofl nice xd  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:05 pm
your brave dude. i have no issues whatsoever living my entire life not telling my family.......guess i was just risen among secrets so if they don't ask, i don't tell. but no, i have no advice to give as it's taken me three years to tell my mother that i dont like the churches we go to and the only reason she didnt flip out is cuz she doesnt either. though for totally different reasons then i do. and im rambling. my apologies. nerves can do that ><
take away to this ridiculous post......congrats on wanting to tell them and good luck! (and that fish first stuff totally works)  

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Vanilla eXee
Captain

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 pm
Obscurus

My family no doubt thinks I'm eccentric and have to have some hint that I'm involved in the occult (even though they probably wouldn't use that word). They don't seem to care so I see no reason to give them all the gory details.

My brother and I are the same way with our mom. Don't ask, don't tell. She kinda got the hint that we weren't catholic anymore after 10 years or so of us not attending church with her. Now she just tells people "My children don't believe in god!" rolleyes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:44 pm
Vanilla eXee
Obscurus

My brother and I are the same way with our mom. Don't ask, don't tell. She kinda got the hint that we weren't catholic anymore after 10 years or so of us not attending church with her. Now she just tells people "My children don't believe in god!" rolleyes

My parents were never religious like that so it was never really an issue.  

Obscurus

Otherworldly Foe

18,575 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Big Tipper 100

Valdune

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:10 am
My mom never really had a problem with me looking around into different religions, but if I could turn back time, I would have changed how my dad found out.

I was upstairs working on a banishing evil spell, similar to Voo Doo orgins where you take pins and sharp things and put them into a jar, thus jarring up, and putting away all kinds of negativity. My mom had even taught me this one. I was 11 I think, and I didn't know we weren't Christian, my dad always took us to church, my mom went sometimes too!

He came in when I was in the middle of it, and well, screaming fest started there.

However, now I'm several years older, I would start by dipping into something where he is most familiar with. I would go to the roots of Christianity.

Its all about educating.

I would start by quizing him about why we have an alter, and in older times, I would explain what alters were used for, specifically, what alters were used for right before Christianity was going on. ahem.

I would also mention that Coca-Cola put the whole fat white guy as Santa Claus, where the original Santa Claus stories came from, and about how he didn't look like that in folktales back then, that it has a lot of Dutch, and German ancestry. Particularly close to the Norse god, Odin. I would mention how I was confused on how that didn't really relate to Jesus, and how I found out that Christmas trees don't relate to Jesus either. In the 1400 anyone caught with a Christmas tree would get killed because worshiping trees, and showing the Holly King (Figure of Santa Claus) respect like that would considered Pagan.

And then I would bring up Lammas, and point out how all of the Christian Holidays seem to land magically on some very older ones. And inform my parents how my suspicions were correct, when the holidays that we celebrate today didn't stem from just Christianity.

That will get them thinking. And tell them that it stems from a very tree hugger kind of religion. I pulled the tree hugger stuff on one of my best friends who was a Mormon, when she asked me about myself. It seemed to work out just fine.

Something many people who are Christian tend to do, is try to get you on their side. I feel like the main thing many of them do, is consider you an outsider if you don't believe what they do. Honestly to me it feels kind of rediculous, but I understand how important it can be to tell your family members, and feel accepted and continue being part of the family.

What I didn't realise until later, is that many Christians, they were brought up to hate everyone else but what they believed in. The second that you find out your neighbor is Budhist, many of them think that's related to Louisiana Voo Doo, but with a negative connotation. I have heard what they say, they talk about how you do devil work, and how your going to hell. Uniformed Christians won't trust that person. Most were brought up not to have any kind of respect for other cultures, and try to convert you if they feel cornered, or if they feel like they really like you and want you to come to heaven with them.

Its really kind of like a cult. Thou shall not have no God before. They take that to heart. But until you enlighten them how backwards their own religion really is:
They worship Mary, Joseph, God, Jesus, and the many many Saints. Thats multiple divinities. If you pray to more than one person, your worshipping another.
How the bible contradicts itself saying all men are made equal, yet without the Popes permission or your pastors permission, you can't repent and feel free of sins (This was a practice created when you could actually buy your forgiveness) I told my parents this and they were shocked! They had no idea about their own religion and how the customs of today had gone into effect.

Of course, you job is to inform them, teach them what they don't know.
without educating your family, first on their religion, and then how another religion makes sense, or is the root of Christianity, thats a great place to start.

After this, line up all the ideas that drew you into where you are now, why you like them, and why you feel spirited and passionate about what you love. Your parents will understand. It might take a long time, but just remember that your parents love you. They remember when their baby was in diapers and how cute you were. With some small coaxing, and a little bit of education, you'll be ready to come out of the broom closet. Just do some research first.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:14 am
GM Phish
So it's been almost 5 years of my practice within the occult. All this time I've been working in secret, and I feel it is time to let my parents know. I cannot simply go on feeling like I'm living a lie to them.

My parents are Christian, and so am I. The only difference between us is my choice to study in the occult. They are quite 'religious', meaning they are well versed in the scripture, but not like in a annoying bible-thumper type of way. I mean they have real genuine faith. Because they are so pure, and have raised me to be so too, I'm just not sure how to tell them.

Any advice? or even stories about telling your loved ones about what you do? Thanks.

I have the exact same proplem only when I tell them they think I'm jokeing. sad  

Blazingbrook

Wealthy Prophet

5,050 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Blazingbrook

Wealthy Prophet

5,050 Points
  • Market Browser 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:19 am
Valdune
My mom never really had a problem with me looking around into different religions, but if I could turn back time, I would have changed how my dad found out.

I was upstairs working on a banishing evil spell, similar to Voo Doo orgins where you take pins and sharp things and put them into a jar, thus jarring up, and putting away all kinds of negativity. My mom had even taught me this one. I was 11 I think, and I didn't know we weren't Christian, my dad always took us to church, my mom went sometimes too!

He came in when I was in the middle of it, and well, screaming fest started there.

However, now I'm several years older, I would start by dipping into something where he is most familiar with. I would go to the roots of Christianity.

Its all about educating.

I would start by quizing him about why we have an alter, and in older times, I would explain what alters were used for, specifically, what alters were used for right before Christianity was going on. ahem.

I would also mention that Coca-Cola put the whole fat white guy as Santa Claus, where the original Santa Claus stories came from, and about how he didn't look like that in folktales back then, that it has a lot of Dutch, and German ancestry. Particularly close to the Norse god, Odin. I would mention how I was confused on how that didn't really relate to Jesus, and how I found out that Christmas trees don't relate to Jesus either. In the 1400 anyone caught with a Christmas tree would get killed because worshiping trees, and showing the Holly King (Figure of Santa Claus) respect like that would considered Pagan.

And then I would bring up Lammas, and point out how all of the Christian Holidays seem to land magically on some very older ones. And inform my parents how my suspicions were correct, when the holidays that we celebrate today didn't stem from just Christianity.

That will get them thinking. And tell them that it stems from a very tree hugger kind of religion. I pulled the tree hugger stuff on one of my best friends who was a Mormon, when she asked me about myself. It seemed to work out just fine.

Something many people who are Christian tend to do, is try to get you on their side. I feel like the main thing many of them do, is consider you an outsider if you don't believe what they do. Honestly to me it feels kind of rediculous, but I understand how important it can be to tell your family members, and feel accepted and continue being part of the family.

What I didn't realise until later, is that many Christians, they were brought up to hate everyone else but what they believed in. The second that you find out your neighbor is Budhist, many of them think that's related to Louisiana Voo Doo, but with a negative connotation. I have heard what they say, they talk about how you do devil work, and how your going to hell. Uniformed Christians won't trust that person. Most were brought up not to have any kind of respect for other cultures, and try to convert you if they feel cornered, or if they feel like they really like you and want you to come to heaven with them.

Its really kind of like a cult. Thou shall not have no God before. They take that to heart. But until you enlighten them how backwards their own religion really is:
They worship Mary, Joseph, God, Jesus, and the many many Saints. Thats multiple divinities. If you pray to more than one person, your worshipping another.
How the bible contradicts itself saying all men are made equal, yet without the Popes permission or your pastors permission, you can't repent and feel free of sins (This was a practice created when you could actually buy your forgiveness) I told my parents this and they were shocked! They had no idea about their own religion and how the customs of today had gone into effect.

Of course, you job is to inform them, teach them what they don't know.
without educating your family, first on their religion, and then how another religion makes sense, or is the root of Christianity, thats a great place to start.

After this, line up all the ideas that drew you into where you are now, why you like them, and why you feel spirited and passionate about what you love. Your parents will understand. It might take a long time, but just remember that your parents love you. They remember when their baby was in diapers and how cute you were. With some small coaxing, and a little bit of education, you'll be ready to come out of the broom closet. Just do some research first.

You knew how to banish evil at 11? Damn. I just knew how to conger up good energy. I still arn't to sure how to banish what I conger. sad  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:31 pm
One of my friends suggested asking them first what they know about it, and what they think. Maybe this is considered the fishing idea earlier, but more direct? 3nodding  

Valdune

4,750 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Naynram Ukir

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:34 pm
I felt that way before.
Then after I said something and my mom went on with something like "The devil's got a hold on your foot" and was pretty serious, making me cry out in the woods for a while, and then I came back and she felt bad about it and apologized... I decided not to bring it up again after that. That was when I was 15 or so. I'm 20 now.
There are few times I touch on alternate spiritual thoughts in my family's presence. They may not know exactly what it is, but they get the gist that it's different. Eventually they might accept that you're different, or not. I was lucky for it to be the former.
Still, that's something only to be gained (the feeling that you're not lying to them.) after you try the first time to explain I suppose. It's rarely ever not painful to admit it, because having your own spiritual views is the first step to becoming your own person and having your own life away from theirs.

The Helpdesk (Quick Questions and Assistance)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games