Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

geekwho

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:36 pm
This is a discussion for people who have already seen the episode.

Thoughts? I am just glad that Rory wasn't "killed" again.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:50 pm
I love that the Doctor is ahead of River now and he's the one having to say spoilers. Plus he gave her her book in this episode. AND she had no clue who River Song was till this episode...quite cool. Can't wait to see what happens next episode.

For what he said to her, I don't think it was his name, I think he told her that he loved her.  

The_Original_River_Song

Versatile Genius

6,100 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200

Miss Marinara Sauce

Dapper Dabbler

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:36 pm
Eh, I have mixed feeling on it. Tackling the Hitler paradox would have made for a wonderful episode, so I was disappointed in that regard. However, Rory did punch Hitler in the face. That boy defines badass; I love him so much.

As an episode about River, though, I loved it. It was really cool seeing her at the beginning, and Alex Kingston was hilarious. I loved the twist with Mels! I get the feeling that her giving up her future regenerations to save the Doctor is going to come into play in regards to his death. But how?

And what is the Question? *shakes fist* MOFFAT!  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:51 pm
Yeah, disappointed that there wasn't more Hitler in it, but I LOVED River.  

shappyshap

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Regular 100

SaphiraStar

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:03 pm
I was pretty satisfied with this episode. I think I already know how River knows the Doctor's name. We know that she knows how to read and write Gallifreyan (the Tardis or the Doctor could've taught her that.) And I'm just assuming that the Doctor's name is written on his cot, which we know she has seen. Newly regenerated River was hysterical. I loved her. It occurred to me just a few minutes ago that, other than Mels "not being a wedding person" she really couldn't have possibly been at the wedding anyway because River was there. Hitler in the cupboard was funny. It was nice of River to use her remaining regenerations on him. Real noble and everything. could possibly later be used as an excuse to give him more regenerations. but i didn't really see it as a big deal because we all know how she's going to die anyway.

Wow that whole post was full of my disjointed thoughts, theories, and tangents. i hope it was understandable.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:01 am
Where did he get the wedding gear from though?
and what was with the fish fingers and custard thingie?
arrgg so manny questions!  

roses_by_the_stairs

8,500 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100

NatsumenoKage

Codebreaking Dragon

20,125 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Festive Eye 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:57 am
Really the idea was not thought fully, there are more plot holes then story, and all this work to resolve River Song who would have been a interesting diversion not to make a whole ark about.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:15 pm
Wut.

If I was a seven year old and I'd just watched this episode I'd probably be wondering what the hell I'd just sat through. And possibly asking awkward questions like 'mummy, who's Hitler?'.

I have a terrible feeling this may be the point we look back on in future that saw Moffat finally leap spectacularly off the cliffs of coherency and swandive gracelessly into absurdist, cacophonous drivel.

Crushingly disappointing after the wonders of the midseason finale. God knows what ludicrous nonsense we'll be treated to next time. I'll just be happy if we manage to go ten minutes without the River Song show hijacking the plot :/  

Jettrick

Aged Noob

2,750 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200

Plasaar

Versatile Lunatic

13,625 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:37 pm
This episode does seem like it's got a jumble of loose-ends to tie up....but usually, most of them are tied up by the end of the series anyway, so it's pretty much just gonna be a case of wait and see.

Plus, I must admit, the whole thing of Hitler only being in it for like 2 or 3 mins was a bit of a anti-climax, especially at the beginning, but I suppose it did help make things a bit more unpredictable, as most people were probably expecting this episode to be all about whether or not the Doctor should/could/would do something about Hitler...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 am
I hate all this magic regeneration stuff she does. Also, I hate her.  

knightofthe21stcentury

Junimaia

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:49 pm
roses_by_the_stairs
Where did he get the wedding gear from though?
and what was with the fish fingers and custard thingie?
arrgg so manny questions!
He likely got the gear from his tardis. It's got a helluva wardrobe to choose from after all.

And after a second watchthrough, I'm quite certain "fish fingers and custard" was supposed to be an ambiguously subtle clue to the regeneration business being his only hope of survival. Especially when River mentions "He said no one could save him, but he must've known I could." To which the Doctor replies "Rule 1: The Doctor lies."

I notice alot of people saying they're dissapointed that the Hitler thing didn't go anywhere. But I'm a little bit tickled by the idea that the Doctor saying "The British are coming" somehow shoehorned a paranoid Hitler into the can of worms labelled "WWII" xp

I'm getting increasingly annoyed at the strange regeneration deus ex machina stuff going on though. But then I guess it wouldn't be consistent if RTD could pull deus ex regenerations out of his a** and Moffat couldn't. Still hoping for an explanation though... prolly won't get that, but what can I say? I'm a hopeless optimist.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:02 pm
There was such vast potential for Hitler, but instead he was just used for silly jokes about the 3rd reicht.

I liked the River Song naming paradox, but I just always like paradoxes. I like River Song the character. I would never want to meet her. Moffat is really caught up on her, and she's hijacking the show.

It seemed scattered, and illogical. The regeneration bit generally worked, but I'm tired of all the almost dying that occurs. Actually I'm tired of the callous way Moffat has treated death.

I love the fantasy of doctor who, but this is becoming too nonsensical  

ezactron14

Maeko-Hana

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:01 am
I loved it, I thought Matt was amazing. His dying scenes were really well done, especially the parts like: "I'm fine...No! I'm dying...but I have a plan...NOT dying, see?" Actually felt a twinge of jealousy when River got all up on him against the desk and when they kissed. Anyone else?

While I do partially agree that River has been a bit over-used, I hardly think she's hijacking the show...not nearly as much as Rose did, I mean, come on:

Season 1: ROSE [and 9]
Season 2: ROSE [and 10]
Season 3: Rose is GONE! [Martha Who?]
Season 4: Rose is Back! [Oh...thanks Donna]

It was never ending. I couldn't wait to see the back of her! [and this is coming from someone who adores Billie Piper, she's a great actress...I just really couldn't stand Rose and the way RTD wrote her]

I definitely prefer Library!River or even Astronaut!River, as opposed to Angel!River and Mels!River...but I'm still not sick of her yet.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:17 pm
Rose's entrances and exists had more fanfare, but I felt like the doctor directed the show, while in this one I don't know. I loved Library River. If she was like that I would undoubtedly adore her presence in the show. Her character just bothers me presently.

Donna deserves more credit than that. Excluding River (whom I haven't decided about), she was the strongest, and most independent assistant. She didn't pine after the doctor, and she challenged him.

I love billie piper, and I liked Rose, but I felt like her absence played too large a role in the other seasons. I cared about her more than she was there than just moping about her absence.

River's future is my favorite, so I have hope.  

ezactron14

The Doctor Who Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces