Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkle Motion - JULY 2012 - ON SUMMER BREAK

Back to Guilds

For Socialites, Fashionista's, and the generally Fabulous. 

Tags: Beauty, Learning, Fashion, Tutorials, Cooking 

Reply ★News Archives★ Read News From Previous Months Here.
Sparkle Motion News - December 2011 Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Readers
  +1
View Results

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:25 pm
User Image

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:55 pm
User Image

Have you ever wondered how we came to have Santa Claus? Most believe the idea of Santa Claus came from the Greek bishop, Nicholas of Myrna or St. Nicholas, the patron saint of children. This figure mixed with the more Germanic character of Sinterklass and later the British Father Christmas to become the more recognized Santa Claus we have today. It wasn’t until 1821 and the poem “The Night Before Christmas” that the jolly fat man with his sleigh of eight reindeer became canon in the Santa Claus story. By 1826 he was said to live in the North Pole and have elves and a wife. But what about before that you may ask? To discover that, it’s best to start at the beginning.

User ImageSaint Nicholas or the Bishop of Myrna is the patron saint of children. His gift-giving began because he had a reputation for secret gift-giving, such as putting coins in the shoes of those who left them out for him. Another legend tells how a terrible famine struck the island and a malicious butcher lured three little children into his house, where he slaughtered and butchered them, placing their remains in a barrel to cure, planning to sell them off as ham. Saint Nicholas, visiting the region to care for the hungry, not only saw through the butcher's horrific crime but also resurrected the three boys from the barrel by his prayers. However, in his most famous exploit, a poor man had three daughters but could not afford a proper dowry for them. This meant that they would remain unmarried and probably, in absence of any other possible employment would have to become prostitutes. Hearing of the poor man's plight, Nicholas decided to help him but being too modest to help the man in public, he went to his house under the cover of night and threw three purses, (one for each daughter) filled with gold coins through the window opening into the man's house. In another version, Nicholas learns of the poor man's plan and drops the third bag down the chimney instead; a variant holds that the daughter had washed her stockings that evening and hung them over the embers to dry, and that the bag of gold fell into the stocking.

User ImageSinterklaas is said to travel during the winter rewarding well behaved children with gifts and goodies while his mischievous helper, called Black Pete would punish naughty children with spankings from willow switches. It is from Black Pete and in later stories Black Petes that many believe the elves of today came from. Sinterklaas would check his great book to know whether a child was good or bad that year, and reward them accordingly. Black Pete would open the sack he carried so Sinterklaas could give the good children their rewards. Of course if they were naughty and caught by Black Pete, he would spank them with his willow switch. Another Middle European story has an angry man who was often punished as a child by Black Pete forbid and outlaw the feasts and such honoring Sinterklaas. Since he was no longer able to enter houses from the door as was his way, he would go down the chimney and hide his gifts in the socks children hung on the fireplace to dry. Sounds a bit like “Santa Claus is Coming to Town”, yes?
User Image

User ImageFather Christmas was never a gift giver until the nineteenth century. Before that he was a jolly old man in green who spread cheer and mirth throughout the Christmas season. Think of the second spirit from “A Christmas Carol”. Many who wanted happiness and good tidings through the winter and Christmas season and into the new year would leave out a glass of mulled wine to welcome jolly old Father Christmas into their homes. Father Christmas was merged with the Christkindl. Christkindl (or Kris Kringle as he was called later) is a sprite-like child, usually depicted with blond hair and angelic wings. Children never see the Christkind in person, and parents tell them that Christkind will not come and bring presents if they are curious and try to spot it. The family enters the living room, where the Christmas tree has been put up, for the opening of presents when the parents say that they think that the Christkind who has brought the presents has now left again. In some traditions, the departure is announced by the ringing of a small bell, which the parents pretend to have heard or which is secretly done by one of the adults in the family.
User Image

Many things have changed through the years. Black Pete is now a happy elf who makes toys, ‘Santa’ is a gift giving toy maker from the north pole, he drives a sleigh pulled by reindeer, and we leave cookies and milk instead of mulled wine. The most important things are still the same however. Children are still rewarded for their goodness and the season is celebrated with mirth, merriment, family, and jolly, joyful celebrations with messages of peace and love.
User Image

One Witchy Woman
Crew

Wrathful Mystic

37,950 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:07 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

These adorable little "cookies" are naturally completely fat and cholesterol free! When making these meringues, keep a close eye on them as they finish baking! You do not want to let them brown on the bottom because the toasty flavor of browned meringue that would normally compliment chocolate and vanilla ones, does not go well with mint flavors and will make them look ugly if you colored them.

Ingredients:

2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 peppermint candy canes
Red and green food coloring

1) Preheat oven to 225 degrees F (110 degrees C). Line 2 cookie sheets with foil or parchment paper. Do not use silicone!

2) Crush candy canes and separate the larger chunks from the powdery bits.

3) In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, (electric mixer recommended) beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. If desired, add one drop of red or green food coloring, I like to make red, white, and green ones for Christmas. Gradually add sugar and candy cane powder while continuing to beat until whites form stiff peaks. Spoon into a bag for piping dollops or drop by spoonfuls 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle the chunky peppermint bits over them.

4) Bake for 1 1/2 hours in preheated oven. Meringues should feel hard and be dry on the inside. DO NOT LET THEM BROWN. Turn off oven, keep the oven door ajar, and let meringues sit in the oven until completely cool. Gently peel meringues off. Store loosely covered in cool dry place for up to 2 months.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Caring for your ‘live’ Christmas tree can be a challenge if you don’t understand the proper steps. We all know to keep it watered, but still it can get wilted, dry and brittle. It’s actually really easy once you know the right rules, which I am about to share with you.

1. Once you get your tree, cut about ½ inch thick disk of wood from the base of the trunk and set in a bucket of water until ready to place the tree. Make the cut perpendicular to the stem axis. Don't cut the trunk at an angle, or into a v-shape, which makes it far more difficult to hold the tree in the stand and also reduces the amount of water available to the tree. Once home, place the tree in water as soon as possible. Most species can go 6 to 8 hours after cutting the trunk and still take up water. Don't bruise the cut surface or get it dirty. If needed, trees can be temporarily stored for several days in a cool location. Place the freshly cut trunk in a bucket that is kept full of water.

2. To display the trees indoors, use a stand with an adequate water holding capacity for the tree. As a general rule, stands should provide 1 quart of water per inch of stem diameter. Devices are available that help maintain a constant water level in the stand.

3. Use a stand that fits your tree. Avoid whittling the sides of the trunk down to fit a stand. The outer layers of wood are the most efficient in taking up water and should not be removed.

4. Keep displayed trees away from sources of heat (fireplaces, heaters, heat vents, direct sunlight). Lowering the room temperature will slow the drying process, resulting in less water consumption each day. The temperature of the water used to fill the stand is not important and does not affect water uptake.

5. Check the stand daily to make sure that the level of water does not go below the base of the tree. With many stands, there can still be water in the stand even though the base of the tree is no longer submerged in water. To prevent this problem, fill the bottom with pebbles so that the tree sets barely on top of the pebbles but still securely in stand. If the water goes below the base of the tree then it needs water even if the pebbles are still moist.

6. Drilling a hole in the base of the trunk does not improve water uptake, in fact it can kill the tree faster.

7. Use of lights that produce low heat, such as miniature lights, will reduce drying of the tree. Always inspect light sets prior to placing them on the tree. If worn, replace with a new set. Do not overload electrical circuits. Always turn off the tree lights when leaving the house or when going to bed.

8. Monitor the tree for freshness. After Christmas or if the tree is dry, remove it from the house.

9. Go to www.realchristmastrees.org and type in your ZIP code to find a recycling program near you. Many tree farms will take them to recycle them for you and its better than just throwing them away so they end up in landfills.

10. Never burn any part of a Christmas tree in a wood stove or fireplace.

Poinsettias are a beautiful Christmas plant, but like real trees can be very delicate. Some simple tips can help with this delicate but lovely plant.

1. When you get your plant home, wipe each leaf and stem with a lukewarm damp cloth to remove built up dirt, dust or grime that can prevent proper sunlight intake.

2. Room temperature is very important in caring for your poinsettia plants. Christmas Poinsettia plants do best in room temperatures between 65° and 75°. It's best not to store your plants in rooms that maintain a temperature below 55°. Always try to avoid placing your poinsettia plants in very warm drafty areas and also very cold drafty areas. Poinsettia plants do not do well in high room temperatures, above 75°. If you have a room that stays fairly warm at night then try to move your plants to cooler room temperatures, but preferably not below 55°.

3. Location is important. The best location to place your poinsettia plants, are near windows where the plant will get direct sunlight for a portion of the day. Remember, it's important that your plants are not near anything too hot or too cold. Keep your poinsettia plants away from hot fireplaces and heater vents. Also avoid letting the leaves on your plant touch cold windows etc.

4. When watering a Christmas plant, let the soil dry out between waterings so it is dry to the touch. If the pot has holes in the bottom, add water until some of it begins to drain out. Do not let the plant pot stand in water at the base; have it sit on a layer of pebbles as this will provide the much-needed humidity and keep it from sitting in the water directly, which will eventually cause the roots to die and rot.

5. Remove any dead or yellow leaves as they appear to make room for new growth.

If you would like tips on getting your poinsettia live through the year then visit me in the garden forum.

One Witchy Woman
Crew

Wrathful Mystic

37,950 Points
  • Novice Mage 100

Madame Vita
Captain

Aged Noob

9,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:05 pm
This Just In!

The Rebel Alliance took a hard blow to their forces today. The Rebel's best scouting spy, a Mr. Santa Claus, has been caught. It's going be be a sad Christmas on many planets this holiday season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:22 pm
User Image

MidnightBlue9999

Gambino Medic

One Witchy Woman
Crew

Wrathful Mystic

37,950 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:47 am
User Image

Hosted by OneWitchyWoman

For those of you who've never heard of Secret Santa, it basically is a gift giving event where you give an anonymous gift to a random person chosen for you and someone else gifts you!

How It will go down:

1) PM me to join - Deadline is December 15

2) I will make a list of all participants and their wishlist to help you find gifts! You don't have to shop from the list, but it will help you get and idea for "the perfect gift"

3) On the 15th, I will send you the random Username of who you will gift.

4) Choose a Spending Limit and set a spending limit for yourself and only ask for gifts within that limit! The Spending Limit is the Price You are willing to spend!

~Spending Limits~

5) You have until January 6* to send that person your present!

6) MAKE SURE YOU SEND IT ANONYMOUSLY! Otherwise it's no fun! In the message be sure to put Secret Santa!

RULES!

1) Follow Guild Rules and Gaia ToS at all times!

2) IF YOU JOIN, YOU MUST SEND A GIFT!! It's not fair if you get something and don't give in return! Failure to do so will result in banishment from the guild! If for some reason you are unable to be online during the days of the event, send me a PM to resolve the issue.

If you want to participate, fill out this form and PM me with the subject: Secret Santa

Code:
User Name:
Price Limit: *spending Limit*
Wish List: *Stay within your Spending Limit, items outside of limit will not be posted*

* January 6 - Three Kings Day, believed to be the day the three wise men arrived and celebrated Jesus' birth. In some cultures, gifts are also given on this day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:19 pm
Whether stacked under the tree or presented to a friend, these creatively wrapped presents set the tone for a memorable holiday gift exchange. Here are a few beautiful ways to embellish store-bought gift wrap -- or make your own.

Stamped Gift Wrap

Enclose gifts in special wrapping paper covered in impressions made with a square rubber stamp. For a uniform pattern, stamp a large sheet of paper repeatedly with the same stamp, leaving a small space between each impression. Or, stamp just the center of a piece of wrapping paper. A stamp rolling pin also makes an attractive pattern.

Cloth Gift Wrap

In Japan, the art of wrapping gifts in cloth is called furoshiki, and it's brilliantly eco-friendly. Secure open ends with a button, safety pin, or knot.

Stick-On Design

Use blank stickers from an office-supply store to create polka dots or to spell out a name with rubber stamps. For the paper, stick to solid-color wrapping, which is versatile and economical (it's often sold in thick rolls). You can also spruce it up with bands of decorative paper.

Doily Gift Wrap

For an extra touch of whimsy, add doilies to wrapped packages.

Satin Bow with Metallic Embellishments

Wide satin ribbons embellished with festive metallic card stock add cheer to Christmas presents.

Nature-Inspired Gift Wrap

Accenting sprigs, berries, and leaves with glitter, silver paint, or microbeads turns packages into natural wonders.

Sheet Music Wrap

You can print your own out from your computer but for a more interesting look, use old sheet music from old music books. Use Christmas music for even more awesome!

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:02 pm
mm
User Image
Post away Sparkles!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:54 pm
User Image

Madame Vita
Captain

Aged Noob

9,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200

One Witchy Woman
Crew

Wrathful Mystic

37,950 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:41 am
So i now have three on my list and four when i count me. Who else shall join the secret santa? Just pm me with your info. Everyone is eligible be they crew or not. You only have to the 15th of this month to let me know so come on sparkles, get in the spirit, put on your santa hats and get gifty....you know you want to.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:17 am
Congratulations Vita! emotion_yatta
Anyways, I'm too broke to join Secret Santa this year... emotion_facepalm
I guess I'll join next year...LOL. xd

AquaticPisces

Fashionable Conversationalist

7,550 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Thread Flip 150

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:12 pm
I really want to join the Secret Santa 'cause I love Secret Santas but my budget right now is max 130k.

I have to buy a decent gift for my top five Gaian buddies (roughly 20-40k each) and a super special awesome wedding gift for Vita (50+k)

If I can scrape up at least an extra 10k before the deadline, I'll join! 4laugh

Sheesh! Even in a virtual world Christmas leaves me broke! emo  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:34 pm
Just go the 1-5k limit. Its the thought that counts. Silly sparkles.  

One Witchy Woman
Crew

Wrathful Mystic

37,950 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
★News Archives★ Read News From Previous Months Here.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games