Welcome to Gaia! ::

Nintendo Cult!

Back to Guilds

So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply Social Room
May I gather a few opinions? (Pottery lol)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:17 pm
I'm thinking about making a dinnerware set of simple bowls. The kind you keep stacked in a cabinet and eat out of regularly.

http://www.amaco.com/learn-about-potters-choice-glazes/#pc-chart

Do you think any of these colors would make for nice everyday use?

There are 9 additional colors after "Salt Buff" if you scroll down just a little.

Palladium is leach-able, and therefor toxic, and for decoration onry.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:42 pm
Since you're looking to use these on a regular basis, I have a few suggestions.

Dark colors for glazes tend to be safer for food then lighter colors. Also, said darker glazes tend to be thicker and therefore won't run in the kiln (i used an opaque white once that was about as thick as milk-needless to say, I didn't even think of using it later). In the end, however, it is your own choice, and there's no rule saying you can't have, say, a black glaze on the inside that's food safe and your choice of anything on the outside. And remember-two coats!  

Rachetgirl11

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:06 pm
Uh, in my 2ish years of fabricating pottery I've never really observed any connection between color and runniness. It usually has to do with the composition of the glaze and the pyrometric cone your kiln fires at. For example, most low fire glazes don't run much if at all, because the silica in the clay they go over doesn't vitrify, or come to the surface.

That is, atleast, what I've been told.

I do not dip glazes, so I require something like 3 to 4 coats, or sometimes less, if I want to get a certain effect.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:46 pm
~~ User Image

User ImageHmm.
I'm partial to Toasted Sage and Indigo Float myself.
But I want a blue and white kitchen, so yeah.

User Image~~

Caramel Kisses

Anxious Girl

Xilo The Odd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:22 pm
true celadon makes me think of the glass bowls from morrowind for some reason.

edit: i can see why palladium even at a glance and unexperienced in clay working i would say i wouldn't eat from that.

could make a neat helmet though xD  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:34 pm
Well, it is green glass, but it's fired onto the surface of a stoneware cup.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Rad Electropow

Invisible Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:11 pm
Indigo Float and Ironstone caught my eye.

True Celadon and Frosted Melon would look nice in everyeveryday use though too.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:05 pm
Oh, I should mention, I just bought the two things I'd wanted from the start anyway. True Celadon and Ancient japser, which can look very different if applied in different ways. I've seen lots of pieces that are almost a sold metalic tarnished red color. I sorta like it that way, but the textured pieces are also neat.

I mean, I doubt anyone cares about this, but I'm sure people on facebook with thumb up the pictures of the finished pieces smile

Just a little Kegan talk to bolster my self importance.  

[Kegan]

Nimble Cultist

Social Room

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces