Welcome to Gaia! ::

Depthless Imagination

Back to Guilds

semi-literate minimum roleplay and forum discussions (anime, literature, videogames, art, etc.) Looking for role players and ideas!! 

Tags: role play, fantasy, sci-fi, anime, vampire 

Reply Gaming (Video, Table Top, Card, Board, Etc.) Discussion Forum
Halo Francise Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is your favorite game?
  Halo: Combat Evolved
  Halo 2
  Halo 3
  Halo Wars
  Halo 3: ODST
  Halo: Reach
  Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
  Halo 4
  Halo: Legends
  Other (please tell us in your response to this thread)
View Results

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:06 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Basic Information:
Halo is a multi-billion dollar science fiction video game franchise created by Bungie and now managed by 343 Industries and owned by Microsoft Studios. The series centers on an interstellar war between humanity and a theocratic alliance of aliens known as the Covenant. The Covenant worship an ancient civilization known as the Forerunners, who perished in combat with the parasitic Flood. Many of the games center on the experiences of Master Chief John-117, a cybernetically-enhanced human super-soldier, and his artificial intelligence (AI) companion, Cortana. The term "Halo" refers to Halo megastructures: large, habitable ringed structures, similar to the Orbitals in Iain M Banks' Culture novels, or author Larry Niven's Ringworld. The series has been praised as being among the best first-person shooters on a video game console, and is considered the Microsoft Xbox's "killer app". This has led to the term "Halo killer" being used to describe console games that aspire, or are considered, to be better than Halo. Fueled by the success of Halo: Combat Evolved, and immense marketing campaigns from publisher Microsoft, its sequels went on to break various sales records. Halo 3 sold more than US$170 million worth of copies in the first twenty-four hours of release, breaking the record set by Halo 2 three years prior. Halo: Reach, in turn, broke the record set by Halo 3, selling $200 million USD worth of copies on its first day of release. The games have sold over 40 million copies worldwide, and all Halo merchandise has grossed almost $3 billion. Strong sales of the games led to the franchise's expansion to other mediums; there are multiple bestselling novels, graphic novels, and other licensed products. Beyond the original trilogy, other "Halo" games have branched off into other video game genres, including Halo Wars, a real-time strategy game produced as developer Ensemble Studios' last project. Bungie also contributed the expansion Halo 3: ODST and a prequel Halo: Reach, their last project for the franchise. A high-definition remake of the first game entitled Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary was released in November 2011. A new installment in a second trilogy of games, Halo 4, is currently in development. The cultural impact of the Halo series has been compared by writer Brian Bendis to that of Star Wars. The collective group of fans of the series is referred to as the "Halo Nation."User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Game Play:
Originally developed as a real-time strategy game for the Apple Macintosh platform, Halo: Combat Evolved went through several iterations before arriving at the console first person shooter for which it is recognized. When the developers, Bungie, were bought by Microsoft in 2001, the game was rapidly finished and became an Xbox launch title and platform exclusive. Released on November 15, 2001, the Xbox version of Halo: Combat Evolved is the first Halo video game. The games of the main trilogy are first-person shooters, with the player experiencing most action from the protagonist's perspective. Combat Evolved introduced many gameplay and plot themes common to the whole trilogy. Players battle various aliens on foot and in vehicles to complete objectives, while attempting to uncover the secrets of the eponymous Halo. One concept introduced in Halo: Combat Evolved, is limiting the number of weapons players could carry to two, forcing them to carefully select their preferred armament. Players fight with ranged and melee attacks, as well as a limited number of grenades. Bungie refers to the "weapons-grenades-melee" format as the "Golden Triangle of Halo", which has remained fundamentally unchanged throughout the trilogy. In Halo: Combat Evolved, the player's health is measured in both hit points and a continually recharging energy shield. A Windows and Mac OS X port was later developed by Gearbox Software, and released on September 30 and November 11, 2003 respectively. A stand-alone expansion, entitled Halo: Custom Edition, was released as a Windows exclusive, and allowed players to create custom content for the game. Its sequel, Halo 2 was released on the Xbox on November 9, 2004 and later for Windows Vista on May 17, 2007. For the first time, the game was released in two different editions: a standard edition with just the game disc and traditional Xbox packaging, and the Collector's Edition with a specially designed aluminum case, along with an additional bonus DVD, extra booklet, and slightly different user manual. Halo 2 introduced new gameplay elements, chief among them the ability to hold and fire two weapons simultaneously, known as "dual wielding". Unlike its predecessor, Halo 2 fully supports online multiplayer via Xbox Live. The game uses "matchmaking" to facilitate joining online matches by grouping players looking for certain types of games. This was a change from the more traditional "server list" approach which was used to find matches in online games at this time. Upon release, Halo 2 became the game played by the most people on the Xbox Live service that week; regaining this title every week for over two years — the longest streak any game has held the spot. Halo 3 is the final game in the main Halo trilogy, ending the story arc begun in Halo: Combat Evolved. The game was released on the Xbox 360 on September 25, 2007. It adds to the series new vehicles, new weapons, and a class of items called equipment. The game also includes a limited map-editing tool known as the Forge, which allows players to insert game objects, such as weapons and crates, into existing multiplayer map geometry. Players can also save a recording of their game play sessions, and view them as video, from any angle. ~~courtesy of Wikipedia

I hope you enjoy this thread, I have played halo a few times but I am by no means an expert. This is a place to discus all aspects of this popular series: vehicles, games, characters, worlds, etc. Feel free to express your opinions but please no flaming! stressed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:08 am
Ah, Halo!
Halo CE came with the old Xbox and it was my favorite out of all the old games. Since then, I've played and own all of the Halo games (except for Anniversary & 4). Halo ODST was a big disappointment, but aside from that, the rest have been great fun. It's hard to choose my favorite.

Halo Legends was awesome, but I really loathe "The Duel", which is supposedly a lot of people's favorite. >=/

So yeah, I'm a pretty big Halo Nerd. Now if only I could borrow my brother's Xbox 360, I could spend more time playing Halo Reach (and Battlefield 3 >.> ).  

Goatens

Lunatic

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:58 am
Fallen Liath
sort of off topic but do you love red vs. blue?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:37 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.SO much fun ODST FTW!!! But, honestly this is the only halo game I ever played, and even then I only played it a handful of times so I can't really judge.  

Murd3r3d

Tipsy Wench

10,050 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Love Machine 150

Kay9214

Lonely Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:53 am
I've always loved the Halo series, way back when Combat Evolved was a hot new game. The ORIGINAL game, the game Halo was supposed to be, was garbage. Luckily, some radical concept changes occurred in-house, and Bungie created what has come to be known as one of the greatest game franchises in history.

The primary draw for me is the story and characters, as is the case with virtually every game I play. From the get go, you were dropped in an unfamiliar environment with only one goal in mind. Survive.

As you fought along side the marines, witnessed the heroics of a lone man piloting the Pillar, and were guided by the comforting phantom voice of Cortana, things began to feel important, and certainly more real than any game that had come at by then.

The tragedy of the shuttle crash, the wonder of the ruins, and finally... the horror of the flood. Personally, I was never afraid of the flood, and don't understand how so many people were... (perhaps it was a rather un-child-like fascination with the nature of the flood's parasitic relationship with its host, and the motivations of the species... What can I say, I was a little nerd)

The entire nature of the battle shifted and the lines between morality, religion, ethics, even between allies and enemies, were blurred.

Ever since, I've stuck with and enjoyed the series, through the good and the bad, and I fully intend to continue doing so. Bungie has surrendered the reins, and I can only hope 343 does as well as their predecessors in delivering the Halo experience.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:20 pm
Darth Ghranna
Fallen Liath

I love Red vs Blue. 8D It's so crazy and funny. The last few series have been serious-ish and action-packed, but I've enjoyed them just as much.

Kay9214

That's a really eloquent description of Halo CE. =)
I was also fascinated by the flood. The only thing in Halo CE that I was afraid of, was the Golden Elite on the bridge (the one with the energy sword). He was more frightening than any flood, especially when we played it on Heroic and Legendary. Although, as we grew up, my brother and I made it into a mini game to run away from him as long as we could.

I'm really hoping that Halo 4 is a good, final game for the Halo series. Because 343i is run by Microsoft, I'm worried that they'll be more interested in milking the series, than giving it a suitable end.  

Goatens

Lunatic

Kay9214

Lonely Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:43 pm
Fallen Liath
Darth Ghranna
Fallen Liath

I love Red vs Blue. 8D It's so crazy and funny. The last few series have been serious-ish and action-packed, but I've enjoyed them just as much.

Kay9214

That's a really eloquent description of Halo CE. =)
I was also fascinated by the flood. The only thing in Halo CE that I was afraid of, was the Golden Elite on the bridge (the one with the energy sword). He was more frightening than any flood, especially when we played it on Heroic and Legendary. Although, as we grew up, my brother and I made it into a mini game to run away from him as long as we could.

I'm really hoping that Halo 4 is a good, final game for the Halo series. Because 343i is run by Microsoft, I'm worried that they'll be more interested in milking the series, than giving it a suitable end.

For some reason, I've had quite a bit more trouble with Halo Anniversary Legendary than with Halo CE Legendary as a youngster... Am I getting worse at video games? >.>

And, I feel it imperative to inform you... Halo 4 is the FIRST game, in a new trilogy. Not an end, a new beginning... And it will be magnificent! Unless it's completely horrible.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:56 pm
Kay9214

For some reason, I've had quite a bit more trouble with Halo Anniversary Legendary than with Halo CE Legendary as a youngster... Am I getting worse at video games? >.>

And, I feel it imperative to inform you... Halo 4 is the FIRST game, in a new trilogy. Not an end, a new beginning... And it will be magnificent! Unless it's completely horrible.

I really want to get Halo Anniversary, but my brother is of the opinion "why buy a game if you already have it?" He doesn't seem to understand just how awesome it would be to play Halo CE again. Old Xbox games don't work well on a Xbox 360.

Oh dear. That's exactly what I was afraid of. Well, I really hope they do the series justice. D8 I adore Halo and don't want to see my favorite game series brutalized.  

Goatens

Lunatic

Kay9214

Lonely Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:01 am
Fallen Liath
Kay9214

I really want to get Halo Anniversary, but my brother is of the opinion "why buy a game if you already have it?" He doesn't seem to understand just how awesome it would be to play Halo CE again. Old Xbox games don't work well on a Xbox 360.

Oh dear. That's exactly what I was afraid of. Well, I really hope they do the series justice. D8 I adore Halo and don't want to see my favorite game series brutalized.

Honestly, the trailer seems a little too actiony for me... Like everything had to be done with an explosive karate chop of doom... And thus far I don't approve of the only weapon seen in the trailer, a grenade launched from the standard Halo pistol, but only time will tell.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:36 pm
Fallen Liath

I know its amazing! But my bf is a jerk he said I was tex *cries*

Kay9214

Lol, I only played it on easiest setting and even that was pretty sad. but, in my defense I only ever played it 3 or 4 times.  

Darth Ghranna
Vice Captain

Unbeatable Genius

14,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

Goatens

Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 pm
Darth Ghranna

Tex is badass. Could be worse, he could have said you were more like Simmons (like me). xDD

I played it on Easy a lot, when I was younger. Now I can't play Halo on anything less than Heroic. It just comes with playing it a lot.

Kay9214

The action is probably their attempt to hook new players. Make it more exciting and all that.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:25 am
Fallen Liath

Tex is badass. Could be worse, he could have said you were more like Simmons (like me). xDD. I played it on Easy a lot, when I was younger. Now I can't play Halo on anything less than Heroic. It just comes with playing it a lot.
Well I said he was Caboose .....what if I am really really QUIET

Kay9214

The action is probably their attempt to hook new players. Make it more exciting and all that.yeah you are probably right tink of all the MOH people and TF2 worshipers. Most gamers loves shooters and explosions  

Anaithnid Miuil
Captain

Swashbuckling Pirate

13,950 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Kay9214

Lonely Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:41 am
Anaithnid Miuil
Fallen Liath

Tex is badass. Could be worse, he could have said you were more like Simmons (like me). xDD. I played it on Easy a lot, when I was younger. Now I can't play Halo on anything less than Heroic. It just comes with playing it a lot.
Well I said he was Caboose .....what if I am really really QUIET

Kay9214

The action is probably their attempt to hook new players. Make it more exciting and all that. yeah you are probably right tink of all the MOH people and TF2 worshipers. Most gamers loves shooters and explosions

Yeah but this looked... Monster truck/bikini babe explosiony...

There needs to be a certain sense of reality, and certainly a sense of intrigue to the plot. I think think V for Vendetta is a good example (one of my favorite movies), 90% of the movie, little happens aside from story development. But the action scenes? EVERY SINGLE ONE superb, MIXED with intrigue. Halo's a shooter, so it's bound to be balanced more towards action, but I hope it doesn't eclipse the story telling.

Now, I can't make an accurate prediction from a single trailer, so who knows... The game will probably be great, but the trailer made me feel like 117 was gonna yell "BUILDING KICK! EXPLOOOSSSSION!"  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:45 am
Kay9214

There needs to be a certain sense of reality, and certainly a sense of intrigue to the plot. I think think V for Vendetta is a good example (one of my favorite movies), 90% of the movie, little happens aside from story development. But the action scenes? EVERY SINGLE ONE superb, MIXED with intrigue. Halo's a shooter, so it's bound to be balanced more towards action, but I hope it doesn't eclipse the story telling.

Now, I can't make an accurate prediction from a single trailer, so who knows... The game will probably be great, but the trailer made me feel like 117 was gonna yell "BUILDING KICK! EXPLOOOSSSSION!"
Yeah I know, a missile hitting a pile of missiles and all that good stuff >.>  

Anaithnid Miuil
Captain

Swashbuckling Pirate

13,950 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Profitable 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Kay9214

Lonely Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:01 am
Anaithnid Miuil
Kay9214

Yeah I know, a missile hitting a pile of missiles and all that good stuff >.>

Yeah, but the last time he came outta cryosleep, he didn't even know how to move his reticule, and now he smashes out like the hulk with diarrhea... xD  
Gaming (Video, Table Top, Card, Board, Etc.) Discussion Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff