Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sparkle Motion - JULY 2012 - ON SUMMER BREAK

Back to Guilds

For Socialites, Fashionista's, and the generally Fabulous. 

Tags: Beauty, Learning, Fashion, Tutorials, Cooking 

Reply ★News Archives★ Read News From Previous Months Here.
SPARKLE MOTION NEWS - March 2012 Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Readers
  +
View Results

Madame Vita
Captain

Aged Noob

9,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:53 am
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:37 pm
Symbols Of St. Patrick's Day
User Image

When you think about St. Patrick’s Day your mind goes to several iconic things; the color green, shamrocks, leprechauns and kissing the Irish, but why. Why are these the symbols of St. Patrick’s Day? Well, let’s find out.
User Image

"Shamrock" is the common name for several different kinds of three-leafed clovers native to Ireland. The shamrock was chosen Ireland's national emblem because of the legend that St. Patrick had used it to illustrate the doctrine of the Trinity (The Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit). The Irish have considered shamrocks as good-luck symbols since earliest times, and today people of many other nationalities also believe they bring good luck. For a 'how to' on growing your own clover, visit the garden forum.
User Image

The name leprechaun comes from the old Irish word "luchorpan" which means "little body." A leprechaun is an Irish fairy who looks like a small, old man about 2 feet tall. He is often dressed like a shoemaker, with a crooked hat and a leather apron. According to legend, leprechauns are aloof and unfriendly. They live alone, and pass the time making shoes. They also have a hidden pot of gold! Treasure hunters can often track down a leprechaun by the sound of his shoemaker's hammer. If the leprechaun is caught, he can be threatened with bodily violence to tell where his treasure is, but the leprechaun's captors must keep their eyes on him every second. If the captor's eyes leave the leprechaun - he's known to trick them into looking away - he vanishes and all hopes of finding the treasure are lost.

User Image

Wearing the color green is considered an act of paying tribute to Ireland. It is said that it also brings good luck, especially when worn on St. Patrick's Day. Many long years ago, playful Irish children began the tradition of pinching people who forgot to wear green on St. Patrick's Day and the tradition is still practiced today.

User Image

The idea of kissing is actually derived from the Blarney Stone. The word "Blarney" has come to mean nonsense or smooth flattering talk in almost any language. Tradition says that if you pay a visit to Blarney Castle in County Cork and kiss the Blarney Stone, you'll receive the gift of eloquence and powers of persuasion, a true master of the "gift of gab." The Blarney Stone is a stone set in the wall of the Blarney Castle tower in the Irish village of Blarney. The origins of the Blarney Stone's magical properties aren't clear, but one legend says that an old woman cast a spell on the stone to reward a king who had saved her from drowning. Kissing the stone while under the spell gave the king the ability to speak sweetly and convincingly. It became a tradition to say that on St. Patrick’s Day all of Irish decent held all the magic of Ireland for that day, so to kiss an Irishman/woman, you are kissing the stone.

So the next time you see a shamrock, or chase a leprechaun or kiss someone who’s ‘Irish’, you’ll know why.

One Witchy Woman
Crew

Wrathful Mystic

37,950 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175

MidnightBlue9999

Gambino Medic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:06 pm
User Image

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:30 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Fandom items, re-colors of popular items, ethnic items, lifestyle items, creature skins, and dye. We Gaians are constantly petitioning the artists and developers for new items in order to make our avatars ever more unique and a reflection of our minds. More hair, more clothes, more cosplay, more expressions, more make-up, more color, BIGGER BOOBS! With all these requests flooding their inboxes every day, do they even listen to us?

Yes!

Many, many items have been created from petition requests. Most of them have ended up as Chance Item prizes. There are far to many to list them all but here are a few that I know for certain started as petition requests:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

So yes, Gaia does listen to our requests. The next time you find yourself bored, why don't you head on down to the Petitions Forum and sign a couple to help add more items to Gaia. If and when your item gets made, be sure to thank Gaia so they know we care as much as they do.

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Madame Vita
Captain

Aged Noob

9,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:27 pm
Suggested Reading

User Image

Very creative comic you can read all online click the cover to go there now.

Warning this link will take you away from gaiaonline.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:42 pm

What's that? Lipstick from crayons!? No way, right?

WRONG!

Many women spend thousands of dollars on different lipsticks of various shades so they can look pretty. Good quality lipstick that doesn't flake, dry out your lips, smear everywhere, and lasts a long time can cost upwards of $20! such lipsticks may also contain:

- Lead, a poisonous heavy metal.
- Paraben preservatives, which are linked to cancer.
- Red dyes 36, 22, 40, and Lake pigments, which can cause nerve damage and neurological disorders.
- Synthetic vitamin A, which is toxic to pregnant women.
- Vitamin E acetate, which some people are allergic to.
- Uric acid, used as a color fixative and obtained from animal feces.
- Phthalates, linked to birth defects and neurological disorders.
- Carmine, this one's not too bad, it is a natural color but it's made from crushed/boiled beetles. . . ew.
- Animal fats and nut oils, also not too bad but certainly not good news for vegetarians, vegans, and people with nut allergies. Jewish people may want to watch out as well because a little over 50% of lipsticks manufactured in the US are made with pig fats.
- Castor oil, not too bad either but it is a laxative when eaten.

This is all quite shocking isn't it! To make matters worse, can you believe the average woman ingests about half her lipstick! This averages out to around 5 pounds in her lifetime!

On the other hand, crayons are safe for toddlers to munch away on without getting sick and contain only wax and pigment.

Making lipstick from crayons is not only super cheap, eco friendly, and healthy, but you can customize your colors to what ever your imagination can dream of! How would you like to sport a pair of Shamrock Green lips this St. Patty's Day?

Well all you need is some shea or cocoa butter, some food grade oils, and a green crayon! What's that? You're on a budget and can't afford that fancy stuff? Well petroleum jelly is cheap can be subbed for the butters and for oils you can use baby oil or olive oil (EVOO may alter your colors a bit).

- Click Here For Detailed Instructions -

I made a beautiful shade just yesterday and here is my advice for you:

- You don't need anything fancy, I used an old shot glass inside a small pot to heat things, stirred it with a chopstick, and poured it into an old chapstick container.

- I used Petroleum Jelly and a mix of olive and baby oil, you really don't have to put much money into this.

- AVOID CRAYONS MADE IN CHINA, many products from China are often recalled for lead or other toxic chemicals and crayons are no exception. Better safe than sorry, stick with "Made in the U.S.A".

- Recipes don't always work the same for every person. Test your lipstick by using your stirring tool to dab a small bit of melted lipstick mix on to your finger. It should harden at skin temperature within a second, if it's too soft, you added to much oil and can be fixed by adding more of the crayon. After it has hardened on your finger, rub it onto your lip, it should not tug your lips or make them feel dry, if it does, you need to add more oil.

- If your lipstick has a flat, matte look, this can be fixed by either topping with a clear gloss or adding a bit of shimmering eyeshadow to the mix.

- If you are unhappy with how a lipstick turned out, don't be afraid to re-melt it and work it again.

- If you make too much, save the excess in a seal-able container and re-melt to re-fill your lipstick when you finish it.

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Madame Vita
Captain

Aged Noob

9,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:48 am
A Really Great Find

User Image

I am just over the moon for the luminessence jar candles.
They have several flavors to choose from but I am in love with the Fresh linens scented jar candles.

There are also oils and incense and different types of candles.
Of course they are all only $1. You can order a box online ....yes I am thinking about it...
Or you can go by your local dollar tree and pick up some yummy smells.

Dollar Tree Store Link

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

But wait there's more!
For you Hello kitty addicts out there. As some of you may know already. Dollar Tree from time to time gets a Hello Kitty items here and there. At this particular time. Dollar Tree's are stocking

Hello Kitty Toothbrushes

As well as Hello Kitty Boxed juices in three packs!

Toothbrush
User Image

Juice Box
User Image

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Have you ever craved some chocolate cake but couldn't buy one or were too lazy tired to bake one?

Well then, this is just the recipe for you! All you do is mix a couple tablespoons of ingredients together, toss it in the microwave, and in five minutes or less you have a moist and delicious chocolate cake!

!!WARNING!! When making this cake, make sure you measure the flour properly and exactly. Too much flour, even just a little, will make the cake tough and almost rock hard. Also, watch how often you eat this cake. While it really satisfies your cravings perfectly, it has a monstrously high calorie count.

- Click Here To Learn How To Measure Flour -

Ingredients

-- 1 ceramic coffee mug (any size or shape)
-- 4 tablespoons flour - make sure you measure it right - or the cake is a lie!
-- 4 tablespoons sugar
-- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
-- A teeny tiny pinch of salt
-- 1/8 tsp of vanilla
-- 1 whisked egg
-- 3 tablespoons milk
-- 3 tablespoons oil
-- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)

Measure 2 tablespoons of the whisked egg and put it in you mug (you can save the rest in the refrigerator for another cake or just toss it). Dump the rest of the ingredients into your mug and mix well with your fork. Place in the microwave and cook for about 5 minutes. Top with powdered sugar or drizzle with chocolate sauce.

NOTE: Microwaves vary and this cake recipe burns quickly and easily. you may need to make a practice cake to make sure you measured the flour right and cooked for the right amount of time, otherwise you may end up with goo or hockey pucks.

xena91388
Vice Captain

Gambino Zealot

14,150 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

One Witchy Woman
Crew

Wrathful Mystic

37,950 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:47 pm
Legends Of The Leprechaun

The Legend of the Leprechaun
By Sheri Amon
Oh, the leprechaun, a mysterious fellow,
An Irish fairy he be.
An unfriendly sort who keeps to himself,
A miserly fellow is he.
Making shoes for his living, not a bit does he spend,
Instead stores it all in a pot.
At the end of the rainbow his hiding place is,
And to find it will bring you good luck.
If you happen to hear a shoemaker's hammer,
tis the sound that a leprechaun makes.
Find him and corner him,
he'll tell you his secret,
If a stare you can maintain.
Look not away for this fairy is tricky,
He'll attempt to sway your glance.
Gone will he be, look away for a moment,
And you'll lose your one only chance.

Catching a leprechaun is hard work. They are inclined to resist contact with human beings, according to legend, and they are crafty. The leprechaun will share his secrets with you if you are lucky enough to find him. According to the tales of old, a leprechaun will lead you to his pot of gold and bestow his riches upon you, if you are clever enough to meet him.
The classic leprechaun of Irish folklore stands a mere 24 inches in height, and he will have a glint of mischief in his sparkling eyes. He will greet you with a bright, happy expression that may mask some element of trickery. Leprechauns enjoy their own prankish nature, and they will relish playing tricks to fool the people who seek them out.
Your leprechaun may have an appetite for fine malt whiskey and tobacco from a pipe. They are also rumored to be able to drink you under the table, despite their diminutive size! These pleasure seeking fairy creatures carry many secrets, and they will take pains to protect their treasures from prying eyes.
In order to capture one of these elusive fairies, you must maintain eye contact with him. He cannot flee as long as you stare at one another. However, if you turn away from him, he will seize his chance and disappear.
One of my favorite stories is the following:

User Image

One cold winter evening as Tom Pearce was heading for home, he heard a curious tapping sound close by, and a cheerful whistling coming from under the hedge. As quiet as a mouse he crept up and what should he find but a little leprechaun no taller than his knee, sat cross-legged on a pile of stones and tapping away at a tiny shoe. Such a racket was the little fellow making that he never heard Tom arrive. So Tom quickly reached out and caught him fast.

'Let me go! Let me go!' shrieked the leprechaun. 'What have I done to have you grab me so rudely?'

'Nothing yet' replied Tom, 'but it's a lot I'm hoping you'll be able to do for me before I let you go. Now let's be having your magic purse that never runs short of gold.'

'Damn me, I must be getting careless,' grumbled the leprechaun. 'That's the third time this week I've been caught and they all want the same thing, me magic purse, me magic purse. I have no purse! It's been robbed from me already.'

'All right then' said Tom, who had been taught not to be too soft with a leprechaun, 'then tell me where there's some treasure buried nearby.'

'Hasn't that also been taken already?' cried the leprechaun. 'I've been caught so often by lummocks like you that there's no treasure left in the county.'

'What about the three wishes then?' asked Tom.

The leprechaun looked cross. 'So you know about the wishes then?' he asked sulkily.

'I know all about leprechauns, me little feller. Why do you think I'm only blinking the one eye at a time. Don't I know that if I take both eyes off you for a second you'll just vanish.'

'All right then,' said the leprechaun at last. You can have the three wishes. But if you want my advice you'll think carefully before making them. It's not as simple as you think, wishing for anything in the world.'

So Tom looked thoughtfully up at the sky where the stars were just beginning to twinkle and the moon was rising out of the clouds. And of course when he looked back he held nothing in his hand but the stump of a gorse bush.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:26 pm
cat_whee Sparkle Motion's Critter Moment cat_whee

Welcome Sparkles to the first installment of Sparkle Motion's Critter Moment. Where we take a look at one of our many animal friends. I'm Midnightblue9999 and in this installment the critter we'll be looking at is often valued by people for both companionship and its ability to hunt pests. I am of course talking about Cats.

User Image

Here's a few interesting facts about cats... Hey! I rhymed!!

- Cats are members of the Felidae family, which is also related to giant cats like Lion's and Tiger's but for this well be looking at our cute and furry friends the domesticated or "house cat".

- Ever see a clowder of cats? If your wondering what I'm talking about "clowder" is the term for a group of cats. Even more interesting male cats are referred to as "toms" while female cats are referred to as "molly" or queens", while younger cats are known as, you guessed it Kittens.

User Image

- Length and Height wise house cats average around 9-10 inches from the head to the base of their tails, while the length of their tails average around 11-12 inches. Weight wise, the size of an average household cat usually ranges between 8-11 pounds. However some breeds have been scaled from as small as 3 pounds roughly to a whopping 25 pounds.

- While house cats usually live for around 12-14 years with females usually living a year or 2 longer than the males, the oldest known cat was recorded to be about 38 years old.

- Cats make use of their senses quite well. For example they have excellent night vision allowing them to see things with only 1/6th amount of light that a human needs. They also have excellent hearing in fact a cat's hearing ability is considered the most sensitive among all mammals. Not to mention their acute sense of smell which make them sensitive to pheromones. One of the things that helps Cats and their senses is their whiskers. Sensitive to the touch, these help in locating objects in the dark as well as information on width of gaps by touching, and they also trigger blink defenses to protect their eyes.

- Cats are known for their grooming, constantly licking their own fur. This is because a cat's tongue has tiny spines called papillae which act like a Hairbrush.

That's it for this first installment of Sparkle Motion's Critter Moment. Before you go. May I offer you a nice cup of cuteness?

User Image

Cup of cuteness anyone? ...How about a pop tart then?

User Image

Want to see a specific critter featured on the Sparkle Motion Critter Moment? Leave a comment and who knows you may just see it in a future installment.

MidnightBlue9999

Gambino Medic

Madame Vita
Captain

Aged Noob

9,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 pm
Look And Learn Hair Inspiration
Braids Braids & More Braids!

User Image

User Image

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:45 pm

User Image
So your looking at this bag in my hand right?....Well it can be yours!

Make a Easter theme Banner for the Homepage of the guild.
Post it to the news page here and,
then get 15 other sparkles to quote you.
It's that simple!...or is it?
Winner decided April 1st.
Tie breakers decided by captains.

User Image

SparkleMotionTreasurer
Crew

Madame Vita
Captain

Aged Noob

9,200 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:47 pm
User Image

★News Archives★ Read News From Previous Months Here.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games