Welcome to Gaia! ::

The renaissance galaxy

Back to Guilds

Tags: Renaissance, Galaxy, Anime, Boy-love, Interests 

Reply 18. Video Gaming HQ - Video game discussions
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirit (PS2)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShadowEternal

Familiar Shapeshifter

9,100 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:32 am
This game is a first-time application of a concept that often fails in today society. It's a tactics-style, RPG based, puzzling action/adventure game. It is unique in which you have two protagonist from opposing sides who you alternatively control after chapter.

For a basic understanding, the world is split into three forces: humans, deimos, and the Empire. Humans live by using Spirit Stones(magic crystals) which are used to fuel machinery and Special Moves. Deimos live with the Law of the Jungle, Spirit Stones allow them to use Magic. The Empire is your basic army jar heads who want to control the world, hording Spirit Stones to eradicate all who are in their way.

Your first protagonist is Kharg, a human who lives in a sleep, country-like village with his mother and childhood friend.

The second is Darc (and my personal fav) who grew up in the Deimos world. And lets just say...he had a very rough childhood which is even worse now.

Now, when it comes to games like these, there are a set of rules which I follow for ALL my RPG-style games. If you played the old Final Fantasy titles, then you should know what I'm about to say.

My Rules for RPGs

1. Got free-time? Level up! Monsters too weak? Don't care! LEVEL UP...at least 5-10 times.
2. Spend your money wisely. Buy Armor first. ALWAYS. Unless the weapon mods are cheaper, always go for Armor first!
3. Bought armor? Good. Now go train.

AtL is very strange, though, in one aspect alone. And this is very important to remember. When defeated, your enemies drop stuff. When they drop stuff, PICK IT UP IMMEDIATELY. This game doesn't reward you after battle except for a chart showing who gained how much exp. Items and money has to be picked up, by yourself, during the battle. Which brings me to my next rule:

(following rules apply to this particular game only)

4. See something shiny? Don't be cowardly, go for it!!! (In my book, unless you're playing a war game, SHINY means treasure or something good.)
5. Don't. Rely. On. Your. Questionable. Allies! (Especially in this game. Just fair warning, you get back-stabbed...often. I won't say who's side it's on.)
6. Save points are far and between. Be prepared for that.
7. Got a side-quest? Do it. Do it now. If the chapter changes, there are places you can't return to investigate.

Unfortunately, this game does not Share EXP. Rather, each attack gives exp and each defense gains exp. But the most exp comes from the kills. If you have an ally that hits very weak, do the tank-medic technique. The Strongest character teams up with your weakest. Have the strongest whittle down the enemy's HP during training, step back, and let he weakling take the kills.

8. Don't. Waste. Your. Magic/Special Moves! It's a limited resource! Spirit Stones are cheap in the beginning, but the price goes up. That's right, this game's money system has INFLAMMATION!
9. This one is a warning: eventually, Kharg and Darc will pass through similar areas. If an area was weak with one of them, don't assume it to still be so with the other. There will always be different, stronger monster for whoever gets there second.

That's all I can come up with for now. But this should mostly cover it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:04 pm
Interesting game.  

empress dee
Captain

Skilled Guildswoman

18. Video Gaming HQ - Video game discussions

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items