And The Next Sony Console Has Lost Me.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

VHS Glitch
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 pm
http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-report-6368582

Hopefully this is just a rumor.

I'm seeing alot of disappointments  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:57 pm
I agree. I mean, used games suck but, when you charge so much for a new one, it's kinda obvious people are gonna go for the cheaper choice. Make good games, people don't mind paying the full price.

What I really don't like though, is the fact you gotta stay connected to the psn. Is that real? That's kind of outrageous. I don't go online often with my ps3, unless it's to play with friends or download a game. But I don't want to have to afford internet just to play a game I'd play on my own anyways. That's kinda stupid.
I hope these are just ideas that are gonna get bumped off later on after some customer feedback because..yeah no.

I also don't really understand the backwards compatability problem.. I mean, they're both blu-ray discs... seems like more work to make sure they don't play ps3 games.  

foxxy_demon

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:37 am
You know, I always thought that when streaming games a la "OnLive" became the standard, I would stop playing new games altogether. But this just might do it.

The no backwards compatibility thing REALLY sounds unlikely, especially if they're still gonna be using Blu-Ray discs. Like, that almost sounds like the rumor was started by some troll who WANTS to piss people off. I really can't imagine Sony, or any company doing something like THAT. So yeah, not gonna start cursing at them as of yet, since nothing has been confirmed so far. But if it is true, then I'll definitely pass on it.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:41 pm
The reason why I think they would be doing this is because of Microsoft. Since they are doing something similar I figure Sony was joining the bandwagon. As for the backwards compatibility it's just retarded not to have. Unless they do something similar to what they did with the Vita ((Basically make you pay an arm and a leg to have your PSP titles that you already own to have on the new handheld)).  

VHS Glitch
Crew

Biohazard EXTREME

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:16 pm
Except with the portable systems, digital distribution makes sense. But with the large consoles, many people (like myself) still prefer Blu-Ray over digital big time. So even if they try to do the same, the simple fact is that I don't want my PS3 games in a digital format. I prefer to have the large 10+ gig games on discs, instead of taking up all my hard drive space, regardless of how many Terabytes the PS4 comes with.

Either way, it's a horrible idea.

But not as horrible as making you be signed into your account just to play your games. I won't be taking part in something like that. Period.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:26 pm
I think its just a rumor. They where even saying that for the new Xbox console and not just the next PlayStation, as far as I know Nintendo is the only one so far with out that rumor. If they start making ppl pay an activation fee for used games then the gaming industry is going to start losing a lot of money and I do not think they are that dumb to risk that. All the info about this has been from one source so far, so I think its just a rumor. We will learn more around 2013 when all the next gen consoles start to be released.

If they do put that in effect then I do not think to many ppl will be rushing to by a game like they usually do. I mean of course there will always be those that have the "I can not live if I do not get this game right now" attitude. But the gamers with common since are the ones that will wait for a price drop, and if sales are not all that high the first couple of months for a new released game then they will have no choice but to drop the price. Also if this is to be a new policy for used games then I do not see it going long terms, I mean you already have to pay for DLC no matter how simple it, so what point would you have in restriction the content of a used game. It will not just hurt a place like Game Stop; but generally any place that sells or rent games. Like GameFly, Redbox, Block Busters video rentals lol So Sony and Microsoft will be have a huge fight on their hands if they make a dumbass move like that.  

Hikigane_Trijen

6,750 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200

Mifune x Pain

3,100 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:33 am
this really is a stupid idea to put into motion if sony chooses to do so. first of all the system is supposedly being upgraded to the point that the graphics and everything else will be more powerful than what we can handle at the moment. second,no backwards compatibility for ps3 games yet both ps3 and orbis (the supposed name or project name) do the blue-ray player format of discs so i dont see how they will accomplish that. third,no used games can be played on the orbis because of the fact that once a game is used on one console and one user name already it cant be used on anything else or it becomes a demo/trial for anyone besides the original user. gamestop and other used game sellers will ******** you sony,we aint stocking your systems. and come on now,constant use of online even to play a game offline!? is that really necessary!? who would be hype for something like this to come out if this is all true? everyone,whether or not this info is all true i can safely say that the gaming market is already crashing fast and the only people that would still stand after all this is nintendo because of everything they did so far which is the slow and steady pace. they didnt start real online gaming till just recently with their supposed nintendo network that might come to light. they didnt start dlc till this year either. i give nintendo major props for this if microsoft and sony wanna do this no used game and constant online connection garbage thing  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:29 pm
mehh ill get it anyways sweatdrop  

Nekromantlc
Crew

Friendly Fatcat

8,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Befriended 100

Robotic Draconian

Invisible Phantom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:19 pm
As Sourcefed said, it was said by a 'trusted source'. As in: there's no proof what-so-ever. And if Sony is going to follow through with this, guess who's not getting a PS4. My connection is shitty as is, and for the first four years, I couldn't even connect to PSN. So screw it, I'll just stick to my PS2 and PS3.  
PlayStation 3 Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games