Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Sorting Type

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:29 pm
As a web designer, I didn't have a huge use for fonts other than the standard, web-safe ones. But now I'm getting more print work, and so I'm making a big effort to build up a better collection of fonts, and now I have somewhere around a thousand.

I used to just scroll quickly through my list of fonts when I wanted something different but wasn't sure exactly what for a particular heading or whatever. But with 1000+ fonts this probably isn't the most efficient way of doing things.

Question is - for those of you with large typeface collections, how do you sort through them, save memorising every single one xp I'm sure there's some kind of software for this, but I haven't come across any that do what I want.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:53 pm
There are several type managers out there.

I use extensis Suitcase. It allows me to make groups of typefaces I know I'm using for a given project, as well as sort by style, name, etc. (I ended up making additional groupings like "victorian swash and ornaments" - and dropping the 8 or 10 I have of those into it... makes it easy to find those specific ones).

By using a type manager, you can also turn off fonts you are not using as often, or even only turn on the system ones, and the ones for your big time crunch projects... that way you don't need to scroll through a few hundred everytime you need something in the T's or W's. XD

But after a while, you do start to memorize them...  

rogue_designer

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:06 pm
That sounds like its exactly what I'm looking for ^_^ What I really wanted was a way to file or group them, since I usually have some idea of what style I'm after. I'll definitely give Suitcase a shot.

After a quick Google I found the demo here if anyone else wants to try it out too.

I'm starting to memorise them, but can only remember the default~ish ones and the special ones I tend to use all the time sweatdrop Need to work on that.  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:08 am
You should just type in the first letter of the font you want. That will take you to the beginning of that letter section.  

candee-addict

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff