Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Athiesm + Theism = Same Thing. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kommisar_Kowl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:38 pm
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in god.
But Atheism is similar to Christianity, it just hasn't been organized.
I know some of the most evil minds were Christian, the Spanish Inquisition, Joe McCarthy, and many other.
But Adolph Hitler, and Josepf Stalin and Pol Pot, and many other dictators were atheist.

Athiests need to accept that while Christianity is blind faith in a god, Atheism is just blind disbelief in a god. All Atheism is, is Inverse Christianity, dont' give me "Satanism," that's inverse Bhuddism.

Quit bitching and learn to accept it.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:45 pm
Evil_Alex37

I disagree. Atheism should never be considered a religion. A religion is basically a mystically enforced philosophy. If that explanation is too vague: it is a set of beliefs for human behavior that is forced by punishment, a punishment that is enforced by "imaginary consequences" that are established from fictional stories and characters.

Now, as far as organization: what is there to organize? In religion, there many beliefs and many interpretations which is why there is a need for organization. On the other hand, Atheism is simply ONE idea: the idea that a god/s do not exist. I really don't see what there is to organize.

Evil_Alex37
I know some of the most evil minds were Christian, the Spanish Inquisition, Joe McCarthy, and many other.
But Adolph Hitler, and Josepf Stalin and Pol Pot, and many other dictators were atheist.

I don't see what that statement proves. Yes there have been many evil men in history, and yes, some of them were Atheist. However, the popular belief is that Hitler was agnostic. His belief that Jews were an evil race stemmed from his interpretation of Christian ideology, but since he often spoke against certain Christian beliefs, to say he was a "devout" Christian would be an exaggeration. Regardless of this, if you totaled all the most devastating wars in history, you will find that a disturbing majority of them have been fought under the righteous flag of religion. Which is why European studies have found that societies are actually "better off" without religion as was posted in this guild with a link to the reliable source.

Evil_Alex37
Athiests need to accept that while Christianity is blind faith in a god, Atheism is just blind disbelief in a god. All Atheism is, is Inverse Christianity, dont' give me "Satanism," that's inverse Bhuddism.

Atheism is very rarely blind. It is more like seeing the truth. Theists have no historical evidence to "truly" support their claim that a God/s exist. All they have are a collection of old books that we know were written by men. Educated Atheists, however, have pieced together their theories from surmounting evidence such as the history of religion, the scientific findings that have refuted religious stories about past events, and the fact that religion didn't exist until man. If you really want to know more about logical evidence, read my last journal entry, and I'd be happy to discuss any areas you find questionable.

This does not mean that there are no Atheists that believe blindly, but to state it the way that you have is a derogatory stereotype, and I, for one, am a little offended. But I forgive you. Now, to say that Atheism is an "inverse" of Christianity would require Atheists to adapt a polarized version of religious beliefs: for example "thou shalt not kill" becomes "thou shalt kill," and I think we can safely say that this rarely occurs and that it is simply another derogatory stereotype.

Evil_Alex37

I will only accept truth.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:55 am
Dathu
Evil_Alex37

I disagree. Atheism should never be considered a religion. A religion is basically a mystically enforced philosophy. If that explanation is too vague: it is a set of beliefs for human behavior that is forced by punishment, a punishment that is enforced by "imaginary consequences" that are established from fictional stories and characters.

Now, as far as organization: what is there to organize? In religion, there many beliefs and many interpretations which is why there is a need for organization. On the other hand, Atheism is simply ONE idea: the idea that a god/s do not exist. I really don't see what there is to organize.

Evil_Alex37

I don't see what that statement proves. Yes there have been many evil men in history, and yes, some of them were Atheist. However, the popular belief is that Hitler was agnostic. His belief that Jews were an evil race stemmed from his interpretation of Christian ideology, but since he often spoke against certain Christian beliefs, to say he was a "devout" Christian would be an exaggeration. Regardless of this, if you totaled all the most devastating wars in history, you will find that a disturbing majority of them have been fought under the righteous flag of religion. Which is why European studies have found that societies are actually "better off" without religion as was posted in this guild with a link to the reliable source.

Evil_Alex37

Atheism is very rarely blind. It is more like seeing the truth. Theists have no historical evidence to "truly" support their claim that a God/s exist. All they have are a collection of old books that we know were written by men. Educated Atheists, however, have pieced together their theories from surmounting evidence such as the history of religion, the scientific findings that have refuted religious stories about past events, and the fact that religion didn't exist until man. If you really want to know more about logical evidence, read my last journal entry, and I'd be happy to discuss any areas you find questionable.

This does not mean that there are no Atheists that believe blindly, but to state it the way that you have is a derogatory stereotype, and I, for one, am a little offended. But I forgive you. Now, to say that Atheism is an "inverse" of Christianity would require Atheists to adapt a polarized version of religious beliefs: for example "thou shalt not kill" becomes "thou shalt kill," and I think we can safely say that this rarely occurs and that it is simply another derogatory stereotype.

Evil_Alex37

I will only accept truth.

*applauds* heart  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:36 am
Evil_Alex37

Not true.
I'll post more later since I have to go to class soon, but for the moment- Hitler WAS NOT ATHEIST. He also was not agnostic.
http://atheism.about.com/library/quotes/bl_q_AHitler.htm
http://www.nobeliefs.com/hitler.htm

And what's the deal with comparing it to Christianity? Theism perhaps, but why pick one specific religion? It is not a reaction to Christianity. Atheism is not solely the disbelief in the Christian god. Many people believe in God without being Christian.

And while we're at it, don't post and end it with 'quit bitching.' That sums up an attitude of- "I'm right, you shut up." That's not a discussion.  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:34 am
[.caustic.]
Evil_Alex37

Not true.
I'll post more later since I have to go to class soon, but for the moment- Hitler WAS NOT ATHEIST. He also was not agnostic.
http://atheism.about.com/library/quotes/bl_q_AHitler.htm
http://www.nobeliefs.com/hitler.htm

And what's the deal with comparing it to Christianity? Theism perhaps, but why pick one specific religion? It is not a reaction to Christianity. Atheism is not solely the disbelief in the Christian god. Many people believe in God without being Christian.

And while we're at it, don't post and end it with 'quit bitching.' That sums up an attitude of- "I'm right, you shut up." That's not a discussion.

redface Oh, so he did concider himself a Christian. I wonder now if my history teacher was a little biased when he talked about this. stressed He probably didn't like admitting that such a man sharred his beliefs so he pronounced him "agnostic" as a way of skirting the issue. Well then, there you go.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:02 pm
Evil_Alex37

Firstly, in order for anything to truely be considered a religion, it should have a set of beleifs, that are centered around a diety, or group of dieties.

Athiests...have thier own personal beliefs, centered around themselves. That is one difference.

Athiests are not blind. That has been better said by others already, so why waste time restating what is already said?

Secondly, Hilter wasn't an athiest.

Thirdly, the very worst wars were fought because one person felt thier religion is right, and the other is wrong.

Even if Hitler was an atheist....that is meaningless. Why? His religious beliefs were not the foundations of that war. They were not the foundation of why he had so many Jews killed.

He felt that Germans...a specific "breed" of Germens...were above all other humans. Those germans had these traits: Blue eyes, Blond Hair, and follow his leadership.

He also happens to be jewish himself. Want more information? How about this?

He once tried to go for an career in Art, but was turned down because he was jewish. He began to hate being Jewish, and through some strange insane means decided he wasn't jewish, and somehow turned on his own people, and used them as a scape-goat for the Germans.

To sum it up, stop you're moaning and do you're research.

You're comparisons are ill made, and I'm not going to accept you're ill thought out view.

Sanguvixen

Orson Welles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:56 pm
Sanguvixen
Evil_Alex37

Firstly, in order for anything to truely be considered a religion, it should have a set of beleifs, that are centered around a diety, or group of dieties.

Athiests...have thier own personal beliefs, centered around themselves. That is one difference.

Athiests are not blind. That has been better said by others already, so why waste time restating what is already said?

Thirdly, the very worst wars were fought because one person felt thier religion is right, and the other is wrong.

Even if Hitler was an atheist....that is meaningless. Why? His religious beliefs were not the foundations of that war. They were not the foundation of why he had so many Jews killed.

He felt that Germans...a specific "breed" of Germens...were above all other humans. Those germans had these traits: Blue eyes, Blond Hair, and follow his leadership.

He once tried to go for an career in Art, but was turned down because he was jewish. He began to hate being Jewish, and through some strange insane means decided he wasn't jewish, and somehow turned on his own people, and used them as a scape-goat for the Germans.

You're comparisons are ill made, and I'm not going to accept you're ill thought out view.
Off-Topic: My dad's friend actually has a painting that Hitler painted. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:06 pm
Blasphemize
Sanguvixen
Evil_Alex37

You're comparisons are ill made, and I'm not going to accept you're ill thought out view
Off-Topic: My dad's friend actually has a painting that Hitler painted. 3nodding

Hmm...Interesting.

Something else I failed to point out:

Why is there a War on Terrorism now? It is becauase those Islam Extremists...better known as Al-Quida feel it is thier time to wage a holy war upon all other people of different religions.

The reason why Al-Quida targeted the U.S.A is because of a little something called Religious Freedom, and a Seperation of Church and State(which is derived from something Thomas Jefferson wrote).

Now some atheists may not be very nice, but....Who was it that killed O'Hair, after Prayer got kicked out of Public Schools? Probably a religious nut, and why didn't the police investigate the matter better? Probably religious angst towards the family that went up against a public wrong.

O'Hair was murdered, along with her entire family.

I personally feel it as a backlash for what they stood for. Some religous individual, or group of individuals, I am certain are behind those murders.

Now do athiests in America go killing people, when a law or issue they want passed doesn't make it? No they do not, they may whine, and grumble a bit....but to my knoweldge a war has never been started, and has yet to be started, based on an Athiest wanting to wipe out all religion.

A majority of the most bloody, and disturbing wars were waged because of Religion, and an inablitiy to accept others for being different religiously.

Now as an Athiest, I am not blind. I have done a serious amount of thinking/researching, and observing. I decided to choose Logic/Science, over an illogical, wrathful, and very nonomni-potent god that in my eyes, and mind, just doesn't exist.

Everything doesn't add up. Christianity, and Catholics....thier beleifs are deeply rooted, and the history of thier religion is violently bloody.

There is no comparing the history of Christianity to Atheism. The two are just too different.

Sanguvixen

Rune WolfHaven

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:15 am
*claps for everyone* Well done! Excellent points you pointed out against Evil_Alex37's argument.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:47 am
Atheism is way too diverse to be considered inverse Christianity, you have everything from communists to really really evil people like myself to people who are so centrist they might as well not have an opinion. biggrin  

Napoleon_Danneskjold

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:40 pm
Atheists are people. Like any other group of people there are idiots, geniuses and normal people, good, bad and indifferent...

I would tend t say that our dfinging characteristic is that we are, on average, more rational than the average theist.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:17 pm
The only way that atheism is related to christianity is that they are both ideas based on beliefs about religion. Other than me saying that I don't think that I could say anything without repeating something already stated. Actually I believe my point was previously mention but I believe that that is one of the most important point to be made.  

King_Gir

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 pm
Evil_Alex37

What interests me is the use of the word "evil". This in itself has deep ties to religion: each religion, being, as Blasphemize said, "a set of beliefs for human behavior that is enforced by punishment", therefore has to define what exactly the behavior that warrants punishment is. They call this evil.

But what standard of "evil" are you referring to? Your own, personal "evil"? Christian "evil"? Hitler's "evil"? The term "evil" is very general, so perhaps this point would be better made by referencing specific qualities or crimes.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:29 pm
Athiesm does have a set of beliefs:
God doesn't exist.
It's pretty ******** obvious.
Everyone has a moral code, even if you believe it is not right to kill people.  

Kommisar_Kowl

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:11 pm
Evil_Alex37
Athiesm does have a set of beliefs:
God doesn't exist.
It's pretty ******** obvious.
Everyone has a moral code, even if you believe it is not right to kill people.

"You just don't get it, do ya Scott?"

Yes, Atheists have beliefs and morals, but that has nothing to do with Atheism. And whether you see it as a belief or the truth is a matter of opinion and not fact. You seem to get them all mixed up, but you'll get it. Sooner or later.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff