Reply Nyob zoo! Hmong People Unite! Have fun! ^_^
A Visit from a Hmong professor from China

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

silver_avenger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:48 pm
Back in March, there was a conference for Hmong Studies and a Hmong professor from China attended. She is from a Hmong group known as Hmu (they're the ones that wear the elaborate silver headdresses with the horns) and they speak a totally different dialect from Green or White. She took the time to learn our dialect in order to communicate with us which is pretty cool.

Here's the link to the youtube videos (they're interviews by the way): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRSFAQCZNTQ&list=FLQXARSt7aO2sl-BTENurziA&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ4hTFfrjow&feature=relmfu

Take a look, maybe you'll learn something new.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:08 pm
emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_awesome emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop

I was there!

did you go?!

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500

silver_avenger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:17 am
maiden_of_thy_earth
emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_awesome emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop emotion_jawdrop

I was there!

did you go?!

I wished I did but I live in California. Did you get to meet the professor?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:07 am
Yes! She gave a small presentation to the students, the week after the conference, about Hmong origins. emotion_awesome

silver_avenger
maiden_of_thy_earth

I was there!

did you go?!

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500

silver_avenger

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 pm
maiden_of_thy_earth
Yes! She gave a small presentation to the students, the week after the conference, about Hmong origins. emotion_awesome

silver_avenger
maiden_of_thy_earth

I was there!

did you go?!

Cool, so what did she say about Hmong origins?  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:11 pm
silver_avenger

She said that....

Long ago, the Hmong king, Chi You, migrated to northeastern China leaving behind some of his people. Later, he was defeated by the Manchurian and the Han kings after many many battles (of which he won). And because of that, his people, the Hmong, separated. One group went back to the GuiZhou/SzeChuan area and another group went more southern to northern Laos and Vietnam.

That's basically the gist of it. Of course, she went into more detail during her lecture, but my memory is failing me. 3nodding  

Mahikokatoru

Invisible Rogue

12,725 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Hellraiser 500

silver_avenger

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:40 pm
maiden_of_thy_earth
silver_avenger

She said that....

Long ago, the Hmong king, Chi You, migrated to northeastern China leaving behind some of his people. Later, he was defeated by the Manchurian and the Han kings after many many battles (of which he won). And because of that, his people, the Hmong, separated. One group went back to the GuiZhou/SzeChuan area and another group went more southern to northern Laos and Vietnam.

That's basically the gist of it. Of course, she went into more detail during her lecture, but my memory is failing me. 3nodding

I know of Hmong having battles and rebellions Han Chinese before but Chiyou fighting against Manchurians? I thought we dealt with them later on in the Qing dynasty. Haven't heard that before. Interesting! xd

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:06 am
Lucky! wasn't there.  

Nana Shinu Ai

7,200 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Signature Look 250

elizay

Blessed Sweetheart

11,050 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Magical Girl 50