View Results

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:43 pm
Ignore the name, it's just something I'd like to call a gallery if I ever opened one, which I doubt but still ^^'

Just a prewarning, my confidence in my photography is at an absolute low at the moment, so please bear with the comments I write about my work. They say that an artists greatest critic is themselves, that's almost literal in my case. I also suffer from a very very weak form of 'emotional instability' where I'll be happy one moment then incredibly upset and wanting to just give up the next, I apologize now if this upsets / annoys anyone.

Yes, anyway. Welcome to my random little space in this guild. I hope to keep it somewhat tidy, not guaranteeing anything though, I said those same words about my bedroom and... well... it was tidy until my Transformers arrived.

This post will just consist of little bits of information about me and my photography, the next set of posts will hopefully contain some examples of my images, so if you want to skip this one that's fine with me.

I am a very poor 21 year old British student that has just finished her second year of studying a degree in photography at university. My main weapon of choice is my Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR and I'm the only person in my class to use something that isn't a Canon or a Nikon. I believe that the photographer makes the photographs, not the camera and personally I am sick and tired of being scrutinized by my 'classmates' because of my choice.

I don't normally work with models bar my friends due to my self confidence being terrible, so I work with what I have. Budget concerns are thrown in there too, but this isn't a rant area so I'll skip that.

When it comes to photos, my friends say my 'style' is using a form that I have grown to call 'Multi-Me'. You'll see examples below in one of the other posts. I also enjoy using macro every now and then, plus landscapes and sunsets, sometimes I dabble in reflections.

I've had an idea for a random little book I've wanted to make ever since Andreas Schmidt visited us for a guest speaker. I want to take some screencaps of locations on the games Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 3, then locate those places and take a picture of the real place in the US. But I cannot afford such a trip, and my university refused my proposal for it.

Like I said in my bio, I don't know where I fit in the photography world. Everyone in my class has an area they love and a style, yet I still struggle when given the question 'what do you enjoy photographing?'. I can't keep saying 'lots of stuff'.

TL;DR - I like to ******** around with different styles. I don't know where I belong in the photography world. I have a terrible self confidence problem. I use a Fuji. Come at me bro.

Anywho, I've rambled enough, on with the pictures. Feel free to throw your two cents in, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask and I'll answer it to the best of my ability. I'll leave you with the statement I used to close my elevator speech I had to do in a class once.

Photography is a lot like baking a cake. You can do everything the exact same way, use all the same ingredients and techniques, but you'll always get a different result every time.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:45 pm
-Multi Me-

The images here were made for my book project. I wanted to create a series of images using the public space outside my house and cosplay, so I made a book titled Shadowplay. The link below goes to Bobs Books where you can use the preview thing to see the book, there is also a button to buy it if you want.

http://www.bobbooks.co.uk/bookshop/users/Commander5AM/shadowplay

For the pictures I wanted to bring out the colour as much as possible without ruining the picture, because cosplay is a colourful and vibrant hobby most of the time. The models are my friends, at first I was only going to have the guy as a model but my other friends decided they wanted in too, so I took some pictures of them and eventually decided to put them in the book.

If you want to see the rest of the images [because I am not posting 74 pages worth of pictures here] along with some other multi-mes I did for practise, the link below goes to the photobucket where they are all uploaded.

All the pictures are thumbnails to prevent page stretching, click on them to make them bigger.

http://photobucket.com/ShutterbugMultiMe

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:45 pm
-Sunsets-

Sunsets have always been something I end up taking photos of ever since my teacher said 'Don't take pictures of sunsets, they're all the same'. They're not, and I'm still gathering pictures together that I'm going to hopefully make into a book to prove to him that they aren't all the same. Here's a few of them. The album to the others is below, there aren't that many in there right now because I'm having issues with uploading.

http://photobucket.com/ShutterbugSunsets

Once again they're just thumbnails, click on them to bring the bigger image up.

Also, please note that some of these images weren't taken on my decent camera to the quality will be different. I still like them though, hence why I am uploading them.

Also note that these images are unedited, they are as they were taken. I didn't want to ruin the natural colours of the sky so I didn't edit them.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:48 pm
-The Furry 12-

That's the nickname we've given to these cats. A family friend of ours owns 12 cats [the ironic thing is that she's actually allergic!] and I go round there almost weekly, naturally my camera comes along. I enjoy taking shots of her cats, they're so adorable and I feel like they're family to me because I've known practically all of them since they were kittens.

I'm not going to lie, these images are probably really s**t. None of them have been edited, I never get the time to edit them plus I don't actually have an editing programme other than GIMP and it is so unreliable. I need to see about redownloading a free trial of Photoshop. Most of these pictures I was practicing my composition anyway, hence why I wasn't caring about the quality.

Like always, the full album can be found through the link below. I have many more pictures to add to it at some point, once I can find them. After my previous laptop practically exploded on me I haven't really had time to organise this one yet, so everything is literally in folded titled 'Temporary My Pictures' and 'Acer Backup' and 'Sort out later'.

Also, like with the sunsets I don't always take my decent camera round, so the quality of the pictures will change. Some will be crap, the others... a little less crap. I intend on editing these when I have some time to myself.

Link to the album - http://photobucket.com/ShutterbugKittens

User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image User Image

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:50 pm
-Playing with Macro-

I like to play around with my cameras macro lens, so I thought I'd throw some more images up here. Gizmo has currently gone missing so I can't get the rest of my images, so for now these are my six final images I did for one of my uni projects.

The project was titled 'Come Follow Me' and we had to pick an artist or a photographer and do some pictures like if we were collaborating with them. I was in hospital the day of the picking so my teacher picked for me and gave me David Levinthal, who is well known for his macro images of toys. He makes a lot of scenes and such.

I didn't have a lot of time to do this project, I will stress this now. I was in hospital and had one week to do the project when I returned, so the pictures aren't very good. Nonetheless I'm going to post them here as well as other macro images I find when my USB Harddrive turns back up.

Album link - http://photobucket.com/ShutterbugMacro

I used Kreo Transformers for my models because at the time they were the smallest toys I could locate in my bedroom. I only had three when I took these pictures [you can see all three of them in the first three images] but I have more now and I intend on taking more images of them soon. I wanted to create some sort of storyline with them, but that didn't happen due to my lack of time. I might continue the storyline one day, I dunno. They're in the order that they would've been if they were going to be a storyline.

As always click the thumbnails to make them bigger.

User Image User Image User Image
User Image User Image User Image  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:54 pm
-Reserved for future use-

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100

Static Silhouette
Vice Captain

Desirable Receiver

8,200 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:17 pm
MadSam123

I use a Fujifilm Finepix S1600. So I know the feel.

Sorry if I wasn't supposed to post here!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:31 pm
Hi, Sam. Don't be so hard on yourself! You have what I like to call, "Artist's Guilt". It's where you are to hard on yourself and think your work has every single flaw imaginable. I'm sure your work isn't that bad. I can tell by the way you describe things in your post. And you're definitely right, it's the photographer that makes the image, not the equipment. I watched a thing on Youtube a few weeks ago. It was called "cheap camera challenge." It was about pro photographers taking out super cheap point and shoots and taking amazing photos through the use of composition and lighting. Which is essentially the two main things a person needs to create a good photo. I would love to see some of your work, and if you like I can point out flaws. I have been helping several people in a thread I created in the Chatterbox forum here on Gaia. I got a lot for feedback about people wanting critique on their work. All honest critique and I am sure some of them didn't like what I had to say, but when I do give critique I always be sure to tell you how to fix the flaw. (Even when I do point something out, it is out of personal opinion, but usually it is for the better). lol As for finding a place in this world, maybe you are into special effects landscape? If you ever come to the US, be sure to tell me, I have a few shots planned in several locations and I am saving it all for when I have people to go there with. One of my favorite things is apocalyptic photographs. (Maybe that is what you are referring to when you say you want to take photos similar to Fallout? One of my favorite games by the way.) But yes, I would love to create a full gallery filled with Apocalypse-based photos. Macros, Landscapes, Nature, Portrait, you name it.

But the camera you have, at 12MP, is not bad at all.

I Am A Photographer
Crew

Conservative Explorer

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:24 pm
I Am A Photographer
Hi, Sam. Don't be so hard on yourself! You have what I like to call, "Artist's Guilt". It's where you are to hard on yourself and think your work has every single flaw imaginable. I'm sure your work isn't that bad. I can tell by the way you describe things in your post. And you're definitely right, it's the photographer that makes the image, not the equipment. I watched a thing on Youtube a few weeks ago. It was called "cheap camera challenge." It was about pro photographers taking out super cheap point and shoots and taking amazing photos through the use of composition and lighting. Which is essentially the two main things a person needs to create a good photo. I would love to see some of your work, and if you like I can point out flaws. I have been helping several people in a thread I created in the Chatterbox forum here on Gaia. I got a lot for feedback about people wanting critique on their work. All honest critique and I am sure some of them didn't like what I had to say, but when I do give critique I always be sure to tell you how to fix the flaw. (Even when I do point something out, it is out of personal opinion, but usually it is for the better). lol As for finding a place in this world, maybe you are into special effects landscape? If you ever come to the US, be sure to tell me, I have a few shots planned in several locations and I am saving it all for when I have people to go there with. One of my favorite things is apocalyptic photographs. (Maybe that is what you are referring to when you say you want to take photos similar to Fallout? One of my favorite games by the way.) But yes, I would love to create a full gallery filled with Apocalypse-based photos. Macros, Landscapes, Nature, Portrait, you name it.

But the camera you have, at 12MP, is not bad at all.

Thanks ^^' It's hard to remove artists guilt with your class just confirms what you think all the time. I think I remember seeing about that cheap camera challenge thing, I did some pictures for it using a disposable camera in a Richard Billingham style. I only have the images I edited on here though, so if I post them up they won't look like the originals because I did some colour editing ^^'

The Idea I was having for a book was pictures of the areas on Fallout, then a picture of what the place actually looks like, so it's kind of a 'this is Fallout, this is the real area it's based off of' book. I have a ton of ideas for what I want to do for books, but I lack the funding to do them. I can't even make one so I end up buying cheap photo albums and slotting the work into them.

I've uploaded some pictures now if you were still interested in having a look ^^' I have others to put up but photobucket won't let me upload anymore pictures now so I'll have to do it either later or tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:17 am
Updated with more images ^^'  

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100

MGYSGT ThunderBird Alpha

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:00 am
MadSam123
-The Furry 12-

That's the nickname we've given to these cats. A family friend of ours owns 12 cats [the ironic thing is that she's actually allergic!] and I go round there almost weekly, naturally my camera comes along. I enjoy taking shots of her cats, they're so adorable and I feel like they're family to me because I've known practically all of them since they were kittens.

I'm not going to lie, these images are probably really s**t. None of them have been edited, I never get the time to edit them plus I don't actually have an editing programme other than GIMP and it is so unreliable. I need to see about redownloading a free trial of Photoshop. Most of these pictures I was practicing my composition anyway, hence why I wasn't caring about the quality.

Like always, the full album can be found through the link below. I have many more pictures to add to it at some point, once I can find them. After my previous laptop practically exploded on me I haven't really had time to organise this one yet, so everything is literally in folded titled 'Temporary My Pictures' and 'Acer Backup' and 'Sort out later'.

Also, like with the sunsets I don't always take my decent camera round, so the quality of the pictures will change. Some will be crap, the others... a little less crap. I intend on editing these when I have some time to myself.

Link to the album - http://photobucket.com/ShutterbugKittens

Very nice.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:07 pm
MadSam123
-Sunsets-

Sunsets have always been something I end up taking photos of ever since my teacher said 'Don't take pictures of sunsets, they're all the same'. They're not, and I'm still gathering pictures together that I'm going to hopefully make into a book to prove to him that they aren't all the same. Here's a few of them. The album to the others is below, there aren't that many in there right now because I'm having issues with uploading.

http://photobucket.com/ShutterbugSunsets

Once again they're just thumbnails, click on them to bring the bigger image up.

Also, please note that some of these images weren't taken on my decent camera to the quality will be different. I still like them though, hence why I am uploading them.

Also note that these images are unedited, they are as they were taken. I didn't want to ruin the natural colours of the sky so I didn't edit them.

I love theesse!~
They all make me feel warm tinglies in my art bits. owo  

JellyJamPreserves

Sparkly Player

5,650 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Friendly 100

minimishi

6,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:18 pm
Cosplay photos - As much as I love a good con, and can cosplay with the best of them, these types of photos are taken SO often, and just look as though you went outside the con and snapped a few photos. A friend of mine does cosplay photos, but in a way that is more like a photoshoot with planning locations, and bringing multiple outfits to change into, and having different models (her friends) in them. I understand this was for a project, and i think they are fitting for that purpose. your photoshopping is done really well, and rather flawlessly, good job! I think the most bothersome thing about these for me is that they are all in the same location. (GREAT COSPLAY BTW)

Sunsets - AMAZING!!! you have an amazing ability to capture the colors!

Cats - i think this is a personal peeve I have developed, but I cant stand all these cat pictures on the internet now a days! its like a plague. That being said, the photo you have taken from what i'm assuming is inside the cat tree (or wherever) is GREAT! The change in perspective is a great idea. Not many people would have thought to see the world through the cats eyes, so to speak. I would love to see more photos taken in this way, even with your cat in the frame (i cant tell if it is in this photo)  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:37 am
minimishi
Cosplay photos - As much as I love a good con, and can cosplay with the best of them, these types of photos are taken SO often, and just look as though you went outside the con and snapped a few photos. A friend of mine does cosplay photos, but in a way that is more like a photoshoot with planning locations, and bringing multiple outfits to change into, and having different models (her friends) in them. I understand this was for a project, and i think they are fitting for that purpose. your photoshopping is done really well, and rather flawlessly, good job! I think the most bothersome thing about these for me is that they are all in the same location. (GREAT COSPLAY BTW)

Sunsets - AMAZING!!! you have an amazing ability to capture the colors!

Cats - i think this is a personal peeve I have developed, but I cant stand all these cat pictures on the internet now a days! its like a plague. That being said, the photo you have taken from what i'm assuming is inside the cat tree (or wherever) is GREAT! The change in perspective is a great idea. Not many people would have thought to see the world through the cats eyes, so to speak. I would love to see more photos taken in this way, even with your cat in the frame (i cant tell if it is in this photo)

Thanks for the feedback on my cosplay images, just thought I'd say that they're meant to be in the same location. My book was about the personal area outside my house and what I use it for, which is this. I use that one space to take pictures of my friends' cosplays. As for the 'it looks like you just snapped a few photos' comment, I found that kinda rude. I spent a long time planning and getting those images together.

Thanks, I just end up always taking them. I seem to be out at sunset a lot these days, probably because my skin condition keeps me locked inside during this sun.

It's because cats are stupidly adorable and people like to take images of their pets to remember them by. These aren't final images and I have no intention to sell any pictures of pets to anyone, they were just angle practise and me helping my friends mother document her 12 cats. She has a medical condition and can't deal with loss very well, so having lots of photos of her cats helps her calm down if she looses one.

I'm guessing the image you're on about is through the pink cat tube, yeah she's in the frame, little Patch is kinda camera shy so the only way to get a nice image of her is at a distance or hidden. You can click the images to make them bigger if you want, there is also a link to the photobucket album where the images are temp stored.

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:50 pm
Thrown some more in if anyone was interested.  
Post your own photos!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff