Welcome to Gaia! ::

Uriah Galleries

Back to Guilds

Photo gallery of Jonathan Uriah Denney 

Tags: Photography, Uriah Galleries, Gallery, Photo, Guild 

Reply Need help? Ask questions about certain products and techniques!
Question[s]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Smoke Weed Live Free

Wealthy Businessman

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:17 pm
What's a good camera for a starter?  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:19 pm
Almost any DSLR. I shoot with a Canon 1000D (Rebel XS). I purchased mine on sale back in fall 2010 at Walmart for around $400. It will come with a 18-55mm lens which is the starter lens. I would recommend purchasing a 50mm prime along with it though. I don't own a 50mm prime myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about it.

I purchased a 70-300mm IS USM lens a couple of months ago. I absolutely love this lens.

But for starter and if you're wanting to keep things cheap, here is my list for you..

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Standard AutoFocus Lens - Used In Like New Condition - Right around the $100 mark.

Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens - Used, Like New Condition - About $340

If you wanted to grab a 70-300mm IS USM lens, then that would probably be another $300-$400.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens

Total estimated amount for ALL: Around $800

It all depends on what you decide to purchase. I didn't purchase the telephoto till, like I said, a couple of months ago. Along with accessories like a Battery Grip/Vertical Shutter and a TT560 Speedlite.

The 1000D does not do video though. For video I would opt for a T2i.

I Am A Photographer
Crew

Conservative Explorer

MadSam123

Questionable Cat

12,200 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:53 am
It depends on a lot of things.

A - Your budget
B - Your preference
C - Your experience.

I use a Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR, it does everything I need it to do and comes with a fixed barrel lens meaning I don't have to spend money on extra lenses. My budget was small, I only had £150. I got mine brand new for £120, leaving me with £30 to spend on small stuff for it. With that £30 I bought a screw on fish eye lens made for my camera and a tobacco filter, which came with a blue one for free.

I say it depends on your experience because if you're just starting out and know little to nothing about using a camera, you don't want to jump off the deep end and buy something with hundreds of settings.

One camera I'll suggest if you don't have as big as a budget is the Fujifilm Finepix S9600. Specs and s**t can be seen through the link below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePix-S9600-Digital-Camera/dp/B000INUDMY

It's the camera I started with and I'd recommend it to anyone, I loved that little bugger, only reason I upgraded was because mine was starting to get to the end of its life. I intend on getting another at some point though, because I loved it.

There's my 2 cents anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:55 am
I Am A Photographer

Thank you that helped.  

Smoke Weed Live Free

Wealthy Businessman

Smoke Weed Live Free

Wealthy Businessman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:56 am
MadSam123

Thank you for the tip.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:26 am
Daddy Quan G
I Am A Photographer

Thank you that helped.

You're very welcome.  

Uriah Galleries
Vice Captain

minimishi

6,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:31 pm
I have a bit of Brand Loyalty to Canons, so my first good DSLR was a Canon Rebel xTi. it is rather user friendly, and canon has a great service department. if i ever had any technical issues i just called them, and they helped me out, and were super nice too. i bought my xTi second hand, and it had some small computer glitch within the camera, i talked to the people at canon, the told me to send them my camera body, and they sent me a whole new one, for next to nothing! (a fraction of what i would have had to pay to replace it myself!) I still have/use it now even though i have upgraded many times.

if canon is not your brand, i also favor Olympus & Minolta cameras, very user friendly. although i have only ever had film versions of these brands.  
Need help? Ask questions about certain products and techniques!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games