Welcome to Gaia! ::

Uriah Galleries

Back to Guilds

Photo gallery of Jonathan Uriah Denney 

Tags: Photography, Uriah Galleries, Gallery, Photo, Guild 

Reply Post your own photos!
R0LIS's Light Photography Gallery (Light Graffiti)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

R0LIS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm
Freezing, and drawing with light can be a really fun activity and a new way to take pictures and create art.

Shutter speed and exposure. These are the only things your DSLR camera can do to create such easy, and amazing photographs. Only two Basic settings.

I love drawing, and I love photography, so when I found out about this new way to combine both hobbies of mine in such an awesome way I couldn't help but to get my camera and start to draw with a small flashlight I had laying around.

User Image

User Image

User Image

User Image

I put my camera on a tripod, changed my exposure to a slow rate of 30 sec, and opened up my Iris all the way so that It can capture the light of my small flashlight easier. Also, the lights in my room were all turned off, and it was the middle of the night. PERFECT!!!

I recommend for anyone to try this type of photography and art form (Light Graffiti) specially in those days where you're really bored, Its gloomy outside, and it has been raining nonstop all day. Just turn off all the lights, and start drawing pictures with anything that radiates light. Do it with family, or friends, trust me, its really fun and It looks super cool!!!!! biggrin DD

User Image

Take care you guys and just go take pictures!!!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:54 pm
Light painting is something I have always wanted to play around with, but for some reason never have.
I have to say that my favorite one of these is the first one. You can see the surrounding area as well as the light painting, and I think that just adds a bit more to the "content" of the image. It seems to add a kind of narrative to it, like "this is a place that makes me happy" or something along those lines.  

minimishi

6,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

R0LIS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 pm
minimishi
Light painting is something I have always wanted to play around with, but for some reason never have.
I have to say that my favorite one of these is the first one. You can see the surrounding area as well as the light painting, and I think that just adds a bit more to the "content" of the image. It seems to add a kind of narrative to it, like "this is a place that makes me happy" or something along those lines.

Yes, thank you! I feel the exact same way, and you made a really good point about how this picture makes you feel. With simple ways to have fun and make art like this, every picture can make you happy, but for some reason the photograph you mentioned earlier does make me feel like I want to be there and I feel somewhat of a warmth I can't really explain.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:27 pm
R0LIS
Yes, thank you! I feel the exact same way, and you made a really good point about how this picture makes you feel. With simple ways to have fun and make art like this, every picture can make you happy, but for some reason the photograph you mentioned earlier does make me feel like I want to be there and I feel somewhat of a warmth I can't really explain.

Well then I say that you have done your job as a photographer with that photo! As photographers we aim to tell a story, or get a certain feeling across with the images we take. its why we choose to put certain things together, like your smiley face, the lights color and that location. If you had done a sad face and have more of a blue tint to the image I would get a different feeling completely  

minimishi

6,700 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Our Dying Hope

Careful Gaian

18,175 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Doggone It! 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:02 pm
I tried doing this once but it did not come out as I hoped it would. However, I did get a really good one with the lights of cars passing down the highway. sweatdrop
Overall, I love your photography. ^ - ^
Smiley FACE!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:59 pm
R0LIS

Shutter speed and exposure. These are the only things your DSLR camera can do to create such easy, and amazing photographs. Only two Basic settings

Fun.
So what settings are you using for speed and exposure?
I had not thought about doing my own light tracing. I have some interesting photos I've taken of fire spinning at night but other people were doing the spinning.  

David2074
Vice Captain

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300

R0LIS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:05 am
David2074
R0LIS

Shutter speed and exposure. These are the only things your DSLR camera can do to create such easy, and amazing photographs. Only two Basic settings

Fun.
So what settings are you using for speed and exposure?
I had not thought about doing my own light tracing. I have some interesting photos I've taken of fire spinning at night but other people were doing the spinning.

David I shot some of these pictures at 300/10fps, which translates to leaving the shutter to open for a good 30 seconds, and letting light exposure in at an aperture of 4.5 which means the lens wasn't too open because there were other light sources around the area, so overexposing was possible to occur.

Though another way to control how long the shutter of your camera can be open is if your digital camera has the option of shooting "Bulb" which usually stands as "B" on a camera. This allows you to manually hold the shutter speed for as long as you hold the shooting button, until you let go. The longer you hold Bulb the more light gets overexposed.

I hope this helps David. 3nodding  
Post your own photos!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff