Rat harnesses, are they possible??

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:55 pm
So we had a big sale and coupon thing going on at my store. I decided to pick up a rat harness since I can always return it if it doesn't work.

Yeah, it's going back to work with me on Friday. It was this big sporty mesh thing. I had my doubts, but I thought it could work. Nope.

I get Libra out and decide to try it on her. In less than a second she threw it off her head and gave me a look that was like, "That was stupid and you should feel stupid for trying it." rofl

But is a (safe) rat harness possible? My rats are average sized, not huge or anything. I don't exactly have PLANS to take them out and about, but it would be nice to have.

I was thinking about crocheting one of those loop harnesses and making my own buckle or way to secure/adjust the tightness. You know, the ones that look like o---O? D'you think that would work?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 pm
Google them and you can find home made ones.  

xXGabriella-ShadowfireXx

Angelic Vampire

17,900 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • That One Hero 500
  • Super Jumper 500

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:32 am
ive never had any luck with them, my vermins could get out of anything. whenever i took my boys anywhere i just put them in my hopdie pocket and they either strayed there or made rat nests in my hair and chilled behing my neck  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:09 am
I used to make my own out of yarn. They worked GREAT, but were tricky if you didn't know how to use them. If I get a chance later this week, I'll see if I can make a picture tutorial.  

Radioactive Condoms

Magnetic Member

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:43 pm
Radioactive Condoms
I used to make my own out of yarn. They worked GREAT, but were tricky if you didn't know how to use them. If I get a chance later this week, I'll see if I can make a picture tutorial.

When you say made out of yarn, do you mean you tied yarn around them or you knitted/crocheted something? I was thinking about doing a crochet harness.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:02 pm
I tried a harness on Aida once that was sort of like, a ferret harness but mini version. I couldn't even get it on her, not that it didn't fit, but, I just didn't feel like it was safe, I was worried she would hurt herself with a nylon/string type harness like that. I made a HUGE order from the order book, but then my boss lost my order, and then she found it, and has yet to place my order stressed So I been waiting on a massive delivery of rat stuff for like 2 months now. Including a mesh type harness for Blaze, who I can never take out of the house for she will surely jump or wiggle away from me. Unlike Aida who just goes right to sleep in my hoodie. So, I'll let ya know if I ever get my harness lol.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

Radioactive Condoms

Magnetic Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:02 pm
Celestial Fireflies
Radioactive Condoms

When you say made out of yarn, do you mean you tied yarn around them or you knitted/crocheted something? I was thinking about doing a crochet harness.

I've tried both, though granted, I'm not too good at knitting, but tying it worked a lot better for me, since it was smaller and fit a lot better. Sorry I haven't been able to make a tutorial yet, I haven't been home yet. I'll try to get on it tonight smile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:35 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
I tried a harness on Aida once that was sort of like, a ferret harness but mini version. I couldn't even get it on her, not that it didn't fit, but, I just didn't feel like it was safe, I was worried she would hurt herself with a nylon/string type harness like that. I made a HUGE order from the order book, but then my boss lost my order, and then she found it, and has yet to place my order stressed So I been waiting on a massive delivery of rat stuff for like 2 months now. Including a mesh type harness for Blaze, who I can never take out of the house for she will surely jump or wiggle away from me. Unlike Aida who just goes right to sleep in my hoodie. So, I'll let ya know if I ever get my harness lol.

Haha. Is your order for a sporty looking one? Cause that's the one that my rat threw off and acted offended by such a clear insult to her intelligence. xd And she's the squirrelly one of the two.

How are your little ones doing, by the way? Blaze must be so big now, I remember her cute little baby pictures. Rats grow up too fast!  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:06 pm
This is the vest I ordered from a company called Ware I believe. Both girls are doing well. Aida is 2yrs 6 months now and Blaze just turned... eek 2? WTF? Oh piss, missed another Brat bday. Blaze is actually bigger than Aida now. Well, still shorter by a good bit, but she's sooo round. I mean, she was round when I left on vacation, but a week of being in her cage seems to have made it worse. Gonna have to try and let them out every day, cause it's not like they get junk food. I give blazie half a cookie for going back in her cage when asked. I also try to give them fresh veggies most mornings. Hopefully with a harness she can get out even more often.

I ordered two tunnels, two new beds, one hanging bed, a new litter pan, a hammock and various toys, honestly I can't even remember all the stuff I ordered...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:38 pm
Gabrielle_AnimalLuver
This is the vest I ordered from a company called Ware I believe. Both girls are doing well. Aida is 2yrs 6 months now and Blaze just turned... eek 2? WTF? Oh piss, missed another Brat bday. Blaze is actually bigger than Aida now. Well, still shorter by a good bit, but she's sooo round. I mean, she was round when I left on vacation, but a week of being in her cage seems to have made it worse. Gonna have to try and let them out every day, cause it's not like they get junk food. I give blazie half a cookie for going back in her cage when asked. I also try to give them fresh veggies most mornings. Hopefully with a harness she can get out even more often.

I ordered two tunnels, two new beds, one hanging bed, a new litter pan, a hammock and various toys, honestly I can't even remember all the stuff I ordered...

Yup, that's the one. I wish you better luck than I had with mine. xd See, the thing was, even on its tightest setting, Libra could easily wrestle it right off.

Your ratties have such a good parent. 3nodding Gosh, are they really almost 2 and 3 already?? D:  

Celestial Fireflies

Witty Autobiographer

Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces