Reply Social Room
THE COMICS THREAD ABOUT COMIX Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Allegro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:16 pm
Hawkeye 1 came out today and is amazing so I figured with the upcoming Marvel NOW relaunch (not a reboot like DC) coming up anybody itnerested in comics could post in here and I could tell them things or if they like comics we can talk about things

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

BUY HAWKEYE  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 pm
Does anyone else read the Walking Dead comics?  

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

Allegro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 pm
Walking dead started okay but then robert kirkman's erection for shock value kept popping up  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 pm
Well that's your opinion... 100 issues in I still love it.  

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:40 pm
I don't know how much I'll be contributing to this thread. Superheroes are cool, but the ridiculous amount of continuity and reboots and everything make it really hard to know where to start. gonk Most of the comics I've read that aren't backwards are standalone superhero comics like Watchmen or stuff like Persepolis. I'll probably hang around, though.

I might check out Hawkeye? Amazon's just listing it being available from marketplace sellers, and I can't find a listing at all on TFAW. I'm pretty sure one of the used book stores in town also focuses on comics, so maybe they'll have it.

Also, how's Marvel's relaunch doing in regards to their female characters? I'd like to read comics about women kicking a** and being awesome, but I remember hearing that some of the new 52 comics did really terribly in that regard.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:49 pm
I got the first Walking Dead compendium. It's real good in some aspects, real not-so-good in others. Oh and Charlie Adlard cannot hold a candle to Tony Moore. The art is straight up terrible in some panels.  

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:07 pm
I've always been interested in the comic world but never know where to jump in with anything. I hear that certain story arcs are good in such and such comic, but I don't know where to get that arc or if it will be out of context or what.

That said, I have been reading the Megaman comics and they're pretty good! The story arc for MM1 was fantastic, MM2 seemed a little rushed through, and now they're doing an original arc to link MM2 to MM3 which is a little too drawn out, but what I've seen of the Protoman story looks to be promising.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:33 pm
Meta_Fish
I've always been interested in the comic world but never know where to jump in with anything. I hear that certain story arcs are good in such and such comic, but I don't know where to get that arc or if it will be out of context or what.

That said, I have been reading the Megaman comics and they're pretty good! The story arc for MM1 was fantastic, MM2 seemed a little rushed through, and now they're doing an original arc to link MM2 to MM3 which is a little too drawn out, but what I've seen of the Protoman story looks to be promising.

Marvel's doing a good relaunch soon that doesn't wipe its history in a confusing way (hello, DC New 52.)

I'd take a look into Marvel NOW and see if anything strikes your fancy.

If I had to recommend one trade per company, I'd say get Immortal Iron Fist for Marvel and Gotham Central for DC.

Zephyrkitty
I don't know how much I'll be contributing to this thread. Superheroes are cool, but the ridiculous amount of continuity and reboots and everything make it really hard to know where to start. gonk Most of the comics I've read that aren't backwards are standalone superhero comics like Watchmen or stuff like Persepolis. I'll probably hang around, though.

I might check out Hawkeye? Amazon's just listing it being available from marketplace sellers, and I can't find a listing at all on TFAW.
I'm pretty sure one of the used book stores in town also focuses on comics, so maybe they'll have it.

Also, how's Marvel's relaunch doing in regards to their female characters? I'd like to read comics about women kicking a** and being awesome, but I remember hearing that some of the new 52 comics did really terribly in that regard.[
/quote]

1) Comixology is a digital distribution site that has Hawkeye 1 for 2.99. If you have a credit card it's worth a look.

2) Relaunch hasn't hit yet, but it'll be fine. It's not reimagining any characters as skankbots or anything. My favorite remale DC character right now is actually Black Cat, who's a supporting character on Daredevil and Defenders right now.

Allegro

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:26 pm
Allegro
Meta_Fish

Marvel's doing a good relaunch soon that doesn't wipe its history in a confusing way (hello, DC New 52.)

If I had to recommend one trade per company, I'd say get Immortal Iron Fist for Marvel and Gotham Central for DC.
You know what, I might do that when I go in for my next issue of Megaman. I always see a ton of comics there, but without just straight up reading an issue I have no idea what it's about or what's going on. Comics aren't very newbie-friendly.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:33 am
As a kid I used to read the Sonic comics pretty frequently, and random Spider-Mans. These days I kinda read whatever people tell me is good.

or liek if a movie's comin out and i'm liek omg that looks rad i should read it

That latest Spider-Man movie made me kinda tempted to see what that ******** up to lately but yea I dunno it's kinda hard to know where to start.  

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

Allegro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:20 pm
Meta_Fish
Allegro
Meta_Fish

You know what, I might do that when I go in for my next issue of Megaman. I always see a ton of comics there, but without just straight up reading an issue I have no idea what it's about or what's going on. Comics aren't very newbie-friendly.

The Relaunch is happening in October, so you have time to look online and see who's writing what.

As for right now, you could always take a look into the Ultimate Universe! The new Ultimate Spider-man just wrapped up an awesome opening arc and I believe the first trade is out.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:20 pm
The Eleventh AK
As a kid I used to read the Sonic comics pretty frequently, and random Spider-Mans. These days I kinda read whatever people tell me is good.

or liek if a movie's comin out and i'm liek omg that looks rad i should read it

That latest Spider-Man movie made me kinda tempted to see what that ******** up to lately but yea I dunno it's kinda hard to know where to start.

Start with the Big Time trade, by Dan Slott, and work your way up.

He's about to get an honest to God sidekick, and it actually looks pretty cool.  

Allegro

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:27 pm
I once made the mistake of trying to get into ******** that mess.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:50 pm
Yeah. ...Yeah.

Just read Uncanny X-Force.  

Allegro

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:59 pm
Allegro
Zephyrkitty

I might check out Hawkeye? Amazon's just listing it being available from marketplace sellers, and I can't find a listing at all on TFAW.
I'm pretty sure one of the used book stores in town also focuses on comics, so maybe they'll have it.

Also, how's Marvel's relaunch doing in regards to their female characters? I'd like to read comics about women kicking a** and being awesome, but I remember hearing that some of the new 52 comics did really terribly in that regard.

1) Comixology is a digital distribution site that has Hawkeye 1 for 2.99. If you have a credit card it's worth a look.

2) Relaunch hasn't hit yet, but it'll be fine. It's not reimagining any characters as skankbots or anything. My favorite remale DC character right now is actually Black Cat, who's a supporting character on Daredevil and Defenders right now.

I didn't know there was a site like that for comics. I'll check it out.

Ah. If it starts in October, I'll look into it and see if anything looks interesting.  
Social Room

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff