Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Serious discussion & Rants
Artists wants to charge more for fixing art mistake

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Psycho Lee

Shameless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:25 pm
Over last weekend I commissioned a fur artist that was doing a bunch of commissions for $10 each. I was to pay after she was done, she would show the image with a watermark, and then remove the watermark after payment. I gave her clear instructions that my fursona has two gray wings, like an angel's wings.

What I got was something with two wings, but it looks like the wings are pointed the same direction.
http://imgur.com/M2t5E

I asked her if she could either fix it so there's a wing on the other side, or just erase both wings and forget about them. She wanted $5 to do any altercation to the image.

As a matter of policy I believe that an artist should try to satisfy their customers as best as possible, and minor changes should not be charged extra. Sure the art's cheap, and $5 is not a lot extra (although 50% more than the original asking price), but it's on principle. I'm offended she would want me to pay more for her shitty wing mistake and bad anatomy.

I would concede that $5 more to draw a wing on the other side may be fair. But in that case, I would just prefer she erase the wings entirely. And I don't think she should charge me to erase them. For me it would take 5 minutes max in photoshop.

Mind you I've already asked about this in one other place, and while some agreed the wings looked like s**t, other people said I was being a whiner, some people refused to see the anatomy fail of the wings (HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!), some said I was a horribly cheap person, and one said he should tell everyone in the fandom never to take commissions from me again, which I responded by telling him to ******** off. :/ If I get suspended for that, oh well. That's a piss-a** thing to do.

Ugh... furries and drama, what's new.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:02 pm
That's not the quality I'd expect most people to pay $10 for to be honest, but what do I know?
You don't have to pay at all if you're not satisfied with the final product, make sure they know that. I'm sure when it's them that'll be losing money then they'll think differently.  

Xennified

Friendly Friend

9,750 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0

Psycho Lee

Shameless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:29 pm
Well it's gotten worse and better.

Better in that I talked to the artist and she consulted people and agreed that the wing looked odd, and that she'd fix it for me for free. This was right before I considered just paying her the extra if she'd redraw the wings. And I misread, she only wanted a little extra ($2, maybe) to fix them. Still, I don't think I had to pay for her to fix them and she finally agreed. I'm about to pay her now.

As for the shitstorm, I've been temp-banned from FA's forums and I'm being harassed on FA.

When the artist asked for more money, I went to FA and asked people what I should do. And I was somewhat negative about the artist herself, even though I did attempt to keep her anonymous by saying "an artist" rather than "THIS artist", but it's a bit hard with her watermark.

Now there are people in the fandom harassing me because they think I'm a horrible person, worse than Hitler, for going behind the artists back and saying negative stuff. Even though, like I said, I tried not to use her name. And all I was doing was trying to get advice on what to do.

These people, one of them an admin or mod at FA, have been berating me pretty badly and there's a storm of negative opinion on me over there. One of them posted on her FA journal telling other artists to avoid me because I'm an a*****e. I tried to flag that journal for harassment but FA mods don't seem to want to do anything. Other people are saying they'd put me on Livejournal's Artist Beware as someone to avoid at all costs. So I'm having all these defamatory posts all over about me. :/

And all of this s**t while me and the artist have already worked out the problem and we're both satisfied.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:49 pm
Ive been in a similar situation on DA. I usually do random fan art to artists I like, and one person (im not going to mention the user) created an awesome character that I just had to draw. When I was finished, I told the artist what I had done and he/she liked it, but then the artist began to ask for more drawings similar to that one. I answered back as kindly as I could saying that I dont do requests unless I offer them. Then the artist replies saying that im selfish and not a real artist and, just as others did to you, began posting bad comments about me. So without very much choice, I ended the account and opened a new one.

Excuse my grammar if i made any mistakes, fried my brain at college.  

FirionTheDragon

Xennified

Friendly Friend

9,750 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:35 am
I've heard bad things about FA, some of my favourite artists quit a while ago because it's a complete shithole now. You shouldn't take things the people there say to heart.
Posting s**t about avoiding you is pathetic, any serious artist probably won't pay attention to it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:52 pm
Well the artist fixed the piece, I paid her (a little bit extra for her troubles) and apologized for all the trouble and problems caused. Although a certain third party seems to still want to smear my name all over the universe, she seems to have stopped for now.

So it looks like it's mostly been resolved.

Except for the fact the artist didn't send me the final image. sweatdrop

I've sent a message to her to ask what's up.  

Psycho Lee

Shameless Lunatic

7,000 Points
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200

00Shoe
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 pm
A little late to the discussion, but always make sure that you describe exactly what you want with little leeway for interpretation (unless you want the artist to be more creative with the work).

And never, I say never, pay up front before you have the final!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:30 pm
Most artists are good about fixing mistakes for free, just so long as they're minor mistakes. My friend's wife is an artist and I commissioned her for one art piece to revolve around my human Pokemon Trainer character and his Border Collie mate. She forgot to put in the white in the cheeks, but she fixed it up next day for no additional fee. Of course, I paid her in pizza, not money =P. That's one of the advantages of having an artist friend.  

King Robert Silvermyst

Medical Officer Dusfraine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 am
It looks more like a matter of perspective; they're both angled off to right right because of the image's dimensions, which could easily be explained by seeing it as the character crooking both wings off to the side. Aside from that, a $5 alteration fee in the event of mistakes is unreasonable; if my Remington showed up missing a piece or broken, I wouldn't pay to have the mistake corrected. Those buttholes would dive for the 'fixit' button to save their reputation, lest I take it to the news that they're cheating their customers out of cash by getting it wrong and refusing to do it right.

A bit of a tangent: why do a lot of non-avian characters need wings? I don't get that. Is it just for glamour, or is flying that big a part of practical activities?  
Serious discussion & Rants

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games