Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Upgrading a fish tank

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azusanga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:45 pm
I'm upgrading my fish tank from a 16 gallon tank to a 30 gallon tank. This is going to be a huge leap, is there anything I specifically need to watch out for?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 pm
Don't be like Nilla and accidentally kill all but one of your fish. Fill tank, make sure water is proper temp, acclimate fish. Also make sure the area you place the tank is able to support the weight, as well as the weight of a sturdy stand.  

Vanilla eXee

6,500 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100

Azusanga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:07 pm
If I can sit on it, it can support whatever weight I wanna give it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:30 am
I drain the tank they are currently in, remove the fish and put them into a small holding tank while doing so, scoop out the gravel and move it to the other tank, move the filter and decor to the other tank, start filling up the other tank (plug in a heater while you do this so that the water warms as the tank is filled), and then acclimate the fish to the new tank when its ready. Real simple smile

Remember that a full tank will weigh 10 pounds per gallon 3nodding

Vanilla eXee
Don't be like Nilla and accidentally kill all but one of your fish. Fill tank, make sure water is proper temp, acclimate fish. Also make sure the area you place the tank is able to support the weight, as well as the weight of a sturdy stand.

Aww, don't be too hard on yourself Nilla! Stuff happens *hugs*  

Akari_32

Krissim Klaw
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:24 am
Vanilla eXee
I managed to collapse a table with a measly 5 gallon once. Thankfully I was in the room and there was only one fish to save, but still. gonk emotion_facepalm  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:21 am
Akari_32

Remember that a full tank will weigh 10 pounds per gallon 3nodding

I know crying emotion_facepalm  

Azusanga

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:19 pm
Azusanga
I'm upgrading my fish tank from a 16 gallon tank to a 30 gallon tank. This is going to be a huge leap, is there anything I specifically need to watch out for?
Dunno if you've ever transferred to a new tank but I've been told to use the same filter/filters and decor as in the previous tank to help out during the cycling process.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 am
i would keep as much of the old water as you can, keep all the decorations you are willing to put up with, and make sure to put your old filter stuff in the new tank for now if you plan on upgrading the filter. and be mindful of the temps

@ vanilla
my husband and i were talking about horribly bad and odd luck with fish last night and you came into the conversation because of your facebook post about your move recenly with your long distance babies being born and your short distance move that killed your fish

then we talked about all the weird and horrible things fish do to kill themselves like plecos trying to eat the filter then getting stuck  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Azusanga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:53 pm
That 30g just jumped up to a 55g..  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:48 am
Krissim Klaw
Vanilla eXee
I managed to collapse a table with a measly 5 gallon once. Thankfully I was in the room and there was only one fish to save, but still. gonk emotion_facepalm

Ooh, scary! I had a tank bust out in the middle of the night! 3:18 AM, I will forever hate you gonk

Kithy Kitty
Dunno if you've ever transferred to a new tank but I've been told to use the same filter/filters and decor as in the previous tank to help out during the cycling process.

Yep! FIlter, gravel, decor and plants all house the Nitrifying Bacteria that will help hold the cycle in the tank 3nodding  

Akari_32

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:52 am
Azusanga

Wow, thats great! All the same rules still apply, so have at! You're going to post pics when its done, right? ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:28 am
Akari_32
Azusanga

Wow, thats great! All the same rules still apply, so have at! You're going to post pics when its done, right? ninja

Back down to a 30. The house is really old and I don't think it would be able to handle a 55. On the plus side, it'll be easier to change and fill.

Currently, I'm going to be stocking the tank with 10 galaxy rasboras, my betta, and my pleco. Does that sound like a good stock?  

Azusanga

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:53 pm
That sounds great! There's even room for more :p  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out