Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
Leopard Gecko Care? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Akari_32

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:23 pm
Hey guys! Just stopping in to show off my newest addition that I bought at the Repticon FIRExpo this weekend smile This is Amelia, my female Dreamsickle Leopard Gecko heart

User Image

She's set up in a 10 gallon for now (eventually I'll bribe my mom into a 20 long lol), and all she needs is a moist hide now, I think.

User Image

She's real friendly, and has a total 'tude :p I bought her from TMF Reptiles.

Now on to the important things!

I need a good commercial diet for her. Mom refuses to alow me to feed her crickets (I'll sneak her some every now and then) so we are stuck with meal worms. As of right now, they do not interest her. She'll get used to hen eventually, but I want to make sure she gets a well rounded diet, which is where the commercial diet comes in. Something to mix it up every now and then, and make sure she gets when she needs.

Just looking online, these are what are available:

http://www.petco.com/product/10999/T-Rex-Sandfire-Super-Food-Leopard-Gecko-Dust-ICB-Insect-Cricket-Balancer.aspx?CoreCat=LN_ReptileSupplies_LeopardGecko_Food

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754870&lmdn=Pet+Type

/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10951335&un_jtt_v_allReviews=true

Also, I hear Repashy has gecko food? They are highly favored in the fish world, so they must be good for the reptile world, as well, right?

Now substrate. Until she's larger, she'll be on paper towels. Then I want to move her to something like Eco Earth (dry, of course [i think...?]). When should I switch her over, and what do you guys reccomend?

And for her moist hide, what do you guys use? I was thinking of using the tub I brought her home in, cuting a hole in the side, stuffing it with..... (What? Peat moss?) and putting the lid on it, to keep the paper towels dry and what not.

Should I be keeping her hides over the cool side or the warm side? I have an under tank heater on one side of the tank, her water on the cool side, and one cave on each side.

That's all I've got for now, but I'll come up with more later LOL  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:12 am
Aaaah, she's so tiny and cute! 4laugh

I hate to break the news to your mother, but you likely will need crickets every now and then. Leopard geckos can eat mealworms very frequently (if you do some reasearch, many were fed almost exclusively that until crickets became more available), but you will want to mix up the diet to ensure your new girl stays healthy. If she's not accepting the mealies in a dish as pictured, try moving them around in front of her using tongs. For many geckos, you really need to stimulate their hunting instincts to get them to eat. If you're trying to avoid other live foods, you can try some canned ones like Can-O-Crickets. Don't rely entirely on these, though, as they don't have as much moisture as your gecko will need and may have preservatives. These meals also might not work if your gecko's not taking live food like mealworms yet. Canned foods are usually more successful if the gecko's used to taking food from tongs.

As for the foods you posted, neither seems to be one you can use as a food for your gecko. The Sandfire Super Food is actually a dust you put on live food to boost nutrition, much like a calcium supplement (your gecko will need her food occasionally dusted with a pure calcium supplement, BTW). I've never actually heard anything about that brand/product, so I don't know how it stacks to normal dusts.

The second one you linked to appears to be a food for tropical geckos, as the description says it's, "Appealing fruit bites." Leopard geckos are mostly insect-eaters and and should not be given fruit-based diets, though you can give some fruit baby foods and other products as treats to broaden their nutrition. There are leopard gecko diets out there like this one from Zoo Med, but I've never actually spoken to anyone who's used them. Most people I know handle their gecko's nutrition better with live food blended with other supplemental treats.

Hides on each side of the enclosure is a good thing. It gives them options. As for moist hide - my brother's leopard gecko has his moist hide on the warm side of the tank. What you use to keep it moist varies. Most people use re-hydrated moss, the green kind you can buy dehydrated at pet stores. I've seen paper towels used, too, so long as they're replaced frequently enough to not rot. My brother's gecko has had problems ingesting both of these when he sheds in his moist hide and eats the skin, so we now use cut pieces of reptile cage carpet that get replaced regularly. Most people don't have that issue.

I personally cannot recommend using Eco Earth for an adult gecko. I would fear impaction way too much with that. Most people advise continuing to use paper towels or newsprint for adults, while others prefer switching to tile or slate. Some people use sand, but many leo owners are avaidly against even the calcium-based ones due to risk of impaction. I've heard both sides with that. Generally, most substrates that can be broken apart are not safe.

Now, all my info. is what I know from my brother's caring for his leopard gecko, so I'm sure other knowledgeable folks on here might correct me on some things and can definitely add more details.

Lady Lagomorph

Wheezing Bunny

25,075 Points
  • Very Thankful 25
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Are You Jelly? 500

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:27 am
I plan on sneaking her crickets every now and then. PetSmart sends me coupons for free ones all the time smile

She's been fed exclusively on crickets from the breeder, I think, so it's going to take time to get her used to mealworms. I tried holding them with tweezers, as well, and she just walks around me rolleyes we'll get there eventually!

That first food I wasn't sure, but I though I'd link it anyways lol The second food, some sites say they keep it in a dish for the gecko to lick up when ever they want it, some say it's a cricket gut loader, some a cricket duster. I dunno lol

That Zoo Med is what I attempted to link in the 3rd one lol

So her moist hide should be on the warm side, then? And what ever goes in it depends on what she doesn't eat? Lol

I should just be sticking to paper towels then? Those aren't very fancy lol  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:06 pm
Oh my goodness :X So cute!  

Kithy Kitty

Familiar Browser

5,650 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300

Akari_32

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:39 pm
Should I give her something to climb on? She really seems to want to climb.

Kithy Kitty
Oh my goodness :X So cute!

Isnt she?? X3  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:53 am
aw! ok, leo time. ive been waiting for someone in the guild to get a leo. if i dont see baby leo pics every once in a while i die lol

ok, commercial diets for leos are a waste of money, dont bother. that sandfire powder you linked to is good, its what i use for ethen. its measured so well that you dont need any other type of dust besides pure calcium just to keep in the tank at all times. but dust with the sandfire stuff at every feeding while the leo is young, when its full grown you can skip a dusting a couple times a week

you only need live bugs, no freeze dried. some leos like mealies and some done. when getting mealies AVOID THE GIANT ONES they are fed horomones so they never grow up and it can make your leo sick.

mealies are also super easy to breed so feel free to give it a try. when i say easy i mean oh my god so freaking easy. just put them in a box with food and give them water once a week to avoid mites and just wait a couple months

put the moist hide on the warm side to make it more humid. moss works but some leos (like my fat ethen) will eat it. paper towels are safer. you can also make your own humid hide easily

i feel so giddy right now. if you have any questions, please ask. leos are my favorite heart  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:33 am
Shanna66
aw! ok, leo time. ive been waiting for someone in the guild to get a leo. if i dont see baby leo pics every once in a while i die lol

ok, commercial diets for leos are a waste of money, dont bother. that sandfire powder you linked to is good, its what i use for ethen. its measured so well that you dont need any other type of dust besides pure calcium just to keep in the tank at all times. but dust with the sandfire stuff at every feeding while the leo is young, when its full grown you can skip a dusting a couple times a week

you only need live bugs, no freeze dried. some leos like mealies and some done. when getting mealies AVOID THE GIANT ONES they are fed horomones so they never grow up and it can make your leo sick.

mealies are also super easy to breed so feel free to give it a try. when i say easy i mean oh my god so freaking easy. just put them in a box with food and give them water once a week to avoid mites and just wait a couple months

put the moist hide on the warm side to make it more humid. moss works but some leos (like my fat ethen) will eat it. paper towels are safer. you can also make your own humid hide easily

i feel so giddy right now. if you have any questions, please ask. leos are my favorite heart

LOL I wish her colors would show better on my camera (and my phone). They aren't as dark as they tend to show up as. She's an absolute cutie, and LOVES attention! Every time anyone goes over to see her, she'll stand up real tall, c**k her head and stare at you real hard rofl This morning I went over to go see her, and she was cruising around all normal, but when she saw me, she started stomping around and trying to look big and scary whee

So, no commercial diets, not even as a supplement? Have you ever heard of Repashy foods? And that sand fire stuff is good, then, and I can get that? I know she needs a dish of calcium, too. What brand do you recommend? Also, I use Zoo Med Reptivite for Rex, and I hear something with that extra D3 is good once a week or so for Leo's?

Don't worry, I don't even feed my fish freeze dried. Yuck!

Eeeeeeeh, I dunno if I want to do that LOL Sounds yucky! The beetles weird me out o.o We'll see lol

Oh, don't worry, I'm all about the questions LOL Google is great and all, but its nice to get info from people you know.

*edit* Heres that Repashy stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calcium-Vitamin-Supplement-5-3oz/dp/B005BYH8KA  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:47 am
Akari_32
Shanna66

LOL I wish her colors would show better on my camera (and my phone). They aren't as dark as they tend to show up as. She's an absolute cutie, and LOVES attention! Every time anyone goes over to see her, she'll stand up real tall, c**k her head and stare at you real hard rofl This morning I went over to go see her, and she was cruising around all normal, but when she saw me, she started stomping around and trying to look big and scary whee

So, no commercial diets, not even as a supplement? Have you ever heard of Repashy foods? And that sand fire stuff is good, then, and I can get that? I know she needs a dish of calcium, too. What brand do you recommend? Also, I use Zoo Med Reptivite for Rex, and I here something with that extra D3 is good once a week or so for Leo's?

Don't worry, I don't even feed my fish freeze dried. Yuck!

Eeeeeeeh, I dunno if I want to do that LOL Sounds yucky! The beetles weird me out o.o We'll see lol

Oh, don't worry, I'm all about the questions LOL Google is great and all, but its nice to get info from people you know.

*edit* Heres that Repashy stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Repashy-Calcium-Vitamin-Supplement-5-3oz/dp/B005BYH8KA

you only want the pure calcium with no d3 in the tank at all times. if you dust with the sandfire leo stuff on your bugs you dont need to use anything else because it already has everything in there already measured. if you arent good with dusting schedules then its the stuff to get

repashy is a good brand, but ive never done much with any of their stuff besides their cresty food

pure calcium pretty much any brand will do, you can even finely crush up some bone, cuttlefish, or egg shells to make your own. cant go wrong with zoomed though

when i say commercial diets i mean pellets or bags of already dead bugs. yes, they make things like that for leos and its a waste of money

lol ethen is such an attention hog too. everytime hubby and i eat at the table she comes out to watch us and will stalk the dog  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:57 am
Shanna66

you only want the pure calcium with no d3 in the tank at all times. if you dust with the sandfire leo stuff on your bugs you dont need to use anything else because it already has everything in there already measured. if you arent good with dusting schedules then its the stuff to get

repashy is a good brand, but ive never done much with any of their stuff besides their cresty food

pure calcium pretty much any brand will do, you can even finely crush up some bone, cuttlefish, or egg shells to make your own. cant go wrong with zoomed though

when i say commercial diets i mean pellets or bags of already dead bugs. yes, they make things like that for leos and its a waste of money

lol ethen is such an attention hog too. everytime hubby and i eat at the table she comes out to watch us and will stalk the dog

Since she's not into meal worms at the moment, do you think I should only dust, and not have a dish of calcium in there, to hopefully entice the little brat to eat the meal worms?

So any calcium is fine then? I could just go with the cheapest (unless I don't like that brand lol)?

Some one at the show said there was a Leo Repashy Gel, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe they were crazy lol

When Rex used to be in the living room, and he was out when I was eating, he'd get up on his driftwood under his light, and crane is neck up and watch me eat lol He's such a creeper xd  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:04 am
Akari_32
Shanna66

Since she's not into meal worms at the moment, do you think I should only dust, and not have a dish of calcium in there, to hopefully entice the little brat to eat the meal worms?

So any calcium is fine then? I could just go with the cheapest (unless I don't like that brand lol)?

Some one at the show said there was a Leo Repashy Gel, but I can't seem to find it. Maybe they were crazy lol

When Rex used to be in the living room, and he was out when I was eating, he'd get up on his driftwood under his light, and crane is neck up and watch me eat lol He's such a creeper xd

i would still keep the calcium in the tank. you could try sliding the mealies around to make it look like they are moving faster. or just look into other fast moving feeders. im guessing you dont want to breed roaches though lol

yup, any calcium is fine so long as its pure calcium. if you use the d3 stuff instead you risk them absorbing too much, but just as is wont cause any harm at all

ive never heard of a gel for lizards, if you figure out what they meant post up a link

lol little stalker. how big is he now?  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:28 am
Shanna66

i would still keep the calcium in the tank. you could try sliding the mealies around to make it look like they are moving faster. or just look into other fast moving feeders. im guessing you dont want to breed roaches though lol

yup, any calcium is fine so long as its pure calcium. if you use the d3 stuff instead you risk them absorbing too much, but just as is wont cause any harm at all

ive never heard of a gel for lizards, if you figure out what they meant post up a link

Ok, I'll do that. She's probably missing it right now, as well as a moist hide. She's been at the show for two days, and who knows how long in transport before that, and then with me for two days now. I'm getting ready to hit a pet store on my way home from class to see what I can find smile

Uuuuuuh, not really o.o' LOL

Yeah, neither have I lol Some of the vendors at the show had various mixes for sale, but I didn't think to take a look at them. I saw them before I payed for her, and after that I was on a mission to find the best deal for a heater and dishes while not getting lost and turned around LOL Oh, and avoiding one vendor because I accidentally blew him off because I got lost in the show and couldn't re-find him to tell him I found Rexie's light at a better price then he was going to give me <.< Whoops! rofl

He really is XD Mmm, I'd say he's pushing 8 inches now? I've not been seeing him for a few days (actually, almost a week >.<) because he comes out when we aren't home, but I saw him the other day when we got home from Repticon and he's a cute little fatty :3nod I saw some Uro's that were a bit smaller than he was when we got him, and OMG he's grown so much! heart heart heart heart heart You don't really notice when you see them all the time lol  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:38 pm
Akari_32
Shanna66

Ok, I'll do that. She's probably missing it right now, as well as a moist hide. She's been at the show for two days, and who knows how long in transport before that, and then with me for two days now. I'm getting ready to hit a pet store on my way home from class to see what I can find smile

Uuuuuuh, not really o.o' LOL

Yeah, neither have I lol Some of the vendors at the show had various mixes for sale, but I didn't think to take a look at them. I saw them before I payed for her, and after that I was on a mission to find the best deal for a heater and dishes while not getting lost and turned around LOL Oh, and avoiding one vendor because I accidentally blew him off because I got lost in the show and couldn't re-find him to tell him I found Rexie's light at a better price then he was going to give me <.< Whoops! rofl

He really is XD Mmm, I'd say he's pushing 8 inches now? I've not been seeing him for a few days (actually, almost a week >.<) because he comes out when we aren't home, but I saw him the other day when we got home from Repticon and he's a cute little fatty :3nod I saw some Uro's that were a bit smaller than he was when we got him, and OMG he's grown so much! heart heart heart heart heart You don't really notice when you see them all the time lol

lol yeah, i never noticed that ethen was changing and growing until i looked at her old baby pictures  

Shanna66
Captain

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:47 pm
I stopped at petco and got Amelia a can of Repashy Leopard Gecko Calcium Plus, then went over to PetSmart and got her a dish for her mealworms that says "Spoiled" in it (LOL) and a couple crickets, since mom won't be home till late tonight. Shhhhhhh! Lol

The dish I got is actually a cat food dish, but it's ceramic, only about an inch tall, and 5 1/2 inches wide. I love it smile

I also picked up a Leopard Gecko Care pamphlet, for the giggles. It's not too bad, what I've read of it, though.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:34 pm
Pretty sure leos are motion hunters so live foods are a must. Commercial diets don't provide that. The only gel I've heard of for lizards was a water gel, but I could be wrong on that too, I find just giving them a shallow dish is much better since they don't see gel as a source of water. Now that you've made me miss my gecko babies. sad Congrats on the new reppy baby  

Akiska

Akari_32

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:38 pm
Akiska
Pretty sure leos are motion hunters so live foods are a must. Commercial diets don't provide that. The only gel I've heard of for lizards was a water gel, but I could be wrong on that too, I find just giving them a shallow dish is much better since they don't see gel as a source of water. Now that you've made me miss my gecko babies. sad Congrats on the new reppy baby

They are, yes smile I think she's still stressed out from her long weekend. She's turning her nose up at the crickets, and is more content to nap in her cave. She's got all night to figure it out though lol Hopefully she eats them all by morning and mom doesnt look too hard into her tank xd  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff