Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gold Diggers and Pollwhores Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where you can do polls, polls, and more polls. Whist making friends and competing in numerous free competitions 

Tags: polls, gold, anime, active, friends 

Reply Gold Diggers and Pollwhores
Why Mandarin is a ridiculous language.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wanna hear a poem?
  Shi
  I shi what you did there
View Results

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 pm
The thing about the Chinese language is that it has a very limited amount of sounds in it. This leads to a large number of homophones. For a non-native speaker, this can make things somewhat confusing. To show you just how obscene it can get, I present to you the following poem: "Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den."

To summarize, this poem is 92 characters long, and each one is pronounced "shi" (which in Chinese sounds more like "sure"). Wanna hear a dramatic reading of it? HERE YA GO. It's mind blowing. Mind-blowingly confusing.

So yeah. Just thought I'd share that with you. Chinese is still a cool language but HOLY FREAKING HELL is it hard to learn.

EDIT: Apparently that's not the only Chinese article of its kind. Apparently this is an actual THING there. For crying out loud...  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:45 pm
Hey! I’m talking! cat_scream

da fuq? X'D
voice version won't load but the reading is weird as hell, including the translation. the dude is eating stones XD
EDIT: i wanna learn Japanese owo

Ok, I’m done. Go back to your babble

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100

BlueCowGirl
Vice Captain

Questionable Millionaire

6,750 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 pm
my old apartment mate was learning it and the same word, depending on the ton and face could mean cow to kitten lol, it was funny watching her become frustrated  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:57 pm
BlueCowGirl
my old apartment mate was learning it and the same word, depending on the ton and face could mean cow to kitten lol, it was funny watching her become frustrated

Yeah, and even though shi is a really extreme example, there are other lesser examples all over the language. For instance, "mai" is the word for buy. It's also the word for sell. SERIOUSLY? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING, ANCIENT CHINESE PEOPLE?  

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

Sagebomb
Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:10 pm
Honestly I know more cantonese than I know manderin. But Im more of a outlier than a mainlander. (And I only know a few phrases in Cantonese)  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:34 pm
Sagebomb
Honestly I know more cantonese than I know manderin. But Im more of a outlier than a mainlander. (And I only know a few phrases in Cantonese)

According to the wiki article, apparently "when the same passage is read in Cantonese, there are seven distinct syllables - ci, sai, sap, sat, sek, si, sik - in six distinct tone contours, leaving 22 distinct character pronunciations... However, it is still debatable whether the passage is any more comprehensible when read aloud in other dialects than it is in Mandarin."

Also, I thought that four tonal contours was bad, I can't imagine trying to learn six.  

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:58 pm
That poem always blows my mind.
Most languages are weird when you get down to it, but tonal languages get a special prize. Isn't there that exercise where you say "ma" a bunch of times with a different tone each time and if you get it right it means "Does mother scold the lazy horse"?  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:52 pm
ShadowedMoonlight
That poem always blows my mind.
Most languages are weird when you get down to it, but tonal languages get a special prize. Isn't there that exercise where you say "ma" a bunch of times with a different tone each time and if you get it right it means "Does mother scold the lazy horse"?

As a matter of fact, yes there is. And it, too, is ridiculous.

Gah, this language -_-;  

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:38 pm
Hey! I’m talking! cat_scream

went to the 3rd largest book sale in the USA and got some books on learning Japanese, with all the kanji, romanji, kana and stuff.
use it in my art owo

Ok, I’m done. Go back to your babble

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:53 pm
There was an episode of The Big Bang Theory about that.  

Clover_IceQueen

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Gold Diggers and Pollwhores

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items