Welcome to Gaia! ::

A Crafter's Guild

Back to Guilds

A place to showcase your creations, get inspiration, ask and/or answer questions, and just have fun! 

Tags: Crafting, Beading, Drawing, Jewelry, Photography 

Reply Welcome to A Crafter's Guild
I need help deciding!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hardcore Uvula

Eloquent Gekko

29,175 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:56 pm
Okay. So I'm making a set of place mats for my future mother-in-law. They're going to be in red thread on a sturdy black fabric. However, the tatted design of the mat is one I'm not sure of yet.

I have two options. I've taken pictures of the swatches I made for them along with the book that shows what it's supposed to look like when its done. I'm using a needle, not a shuttle, and larger thread, so mine look a little bulkier.

One my fiance says is crisper looking, and is what he would prefer:

Option One

It's worked in rows with an edging on two sides. On my swatch, I've only done the edging on the one side.

The second one I sort of like better:

Option Two

This one is worked in three rounds with the medallions eventually being connected together to form a mat.

My future MiL is a bold, bright, and intense woman who has decorated her house in reds and black. I think she'll appreciate either one, but I want to make something she'll absolutely love.

I have a feeling she will like the second one (but maybe that's because I sort of like it better). So, I wanted your guys' opinion. Anything helps.

Also, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, for those of you who celebrated it. We all had strep throat, so we couldn't do anything, but such is life. Gave me plenty of time to tat.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:57 pm
Hardcore Uvula
Okay. So I'm making a set of place mats for my future mother-in-law. They're going to be in red thread on a sturdy black fabric. However, the tatted design of the mat is one I'm not sure of yet.

They are both so pretty!
Option 1 looks like it would be thicker, so more sturdy and able to take more use...
Option 2 looks like it would end up flatter, so potentially make a lacier looking placemat.
Sorry, can't decide myself! (Maybe you could make 2 of each as a very cool set of 4?)  

Emm-Kaye
Captain

Hardcore Uvula

Eloquent Gekko

29,175 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:03 pm
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula

They are both so pretty!
Option 1 looks like it would be thicker, so more sturdy and able to take more use...
Option 2 looks like it would end up flatter, so potentially make a lacier looking placemat.
Sorry, can't decide myself! (Maybe you could make 2 of each as a very cool set of 4?)

I need to make at least 6, 8 if I wanna make a full set.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:04 pm
Hardcore Uvula
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula

They are both so pretty!

So, 3-4 of each? lol  

Emm-Kaye
Captain

Hardcore Uvula

Eloquent Gekko

29,175 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:05 pm
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula

They are both so pretty!

So, 3-4 of each? lol

Maybe, maybe. I might make the second one because it's a bit more fun to make. I'm not as worried about the hardiness of it, because it will be backed by fabric.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:08 pm
Hardcore Uvula
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula

They are both so pretty!

So, 3-4 of each? lol

Maybe, maybe. I might make the second one because it's a bit more fun to make. I'm not as worried about the hardiness of it, because it will be backed by fabric.
It will be gorgeous!  

Emm-Kaye
Captain

Hardcore Uvula

Eloquent Gekko

29,175 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 pm
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula

They are both so pretty!

So, 3-4 of each? lol

It will be gorgeous!

=3  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:15 pm
Hardcore Uvula

I have two options. I've taken pictures of the swatches I made for them along with the book that shows what it's supposed to look like when its done. I'm using a needle, not a shuttle, and larger thread, so mine look a little bulkier.

One my fiance says is crisper looking, and is what he would prefer:

Option One

It's worked in rows with an edging on two sides. On my swatch, I've only done the edging on the one side.

The second one I sort of like better:

Option Two

This one is worked in three rounds with the medallions eventually being connected together to form a mat.

My future MiL is a bold, bright, and intense woman who has decorated her house in reds and black. I think she'll appreciate either one, but I want to make something she'll absolutely love.

I have a feeling she will like the second one (but maybe that's because I sort of like it better). So, I wanted your guys' opinion. Anything helps.

Also, I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, for those of you who celebrated it. We all had strep throat, so we couldn't do anything, but such is life. Gave me plenty of time to tat.

Hmm, this is kinda hard. I'm not sure on this one. Maybe go with the one you have more fun doing? She doesn't have to know that's why you chose the pattern you did, and it sounds like she'd be appreciative either way.  

Entervixen

Dedicated Lunatic

Sjo_Oransje

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:34 pm
Emm-Kaye
Hardcore Uvula

They are both so pretty!

That is what I was thinking. You want something pretty, but definitely sturdy because feet! I think I would vote for one solely on that. Both are really pretty. Picturing them in red and black I think either would turn out really pretty/ornate. It's a good color combo. Mats have got to be really sturdy though.  
Welcome to A Crafter's Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games