Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gold Diggers and Pollwhores Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where you can do polls, polls, and more polls. Whist making friends and competing in numerous free competitions 

Tags: polls, gold, anime, active, friends 

Reply Gold Diggers and Pollwhores
I came out to my dad. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you ever had a "coming out" experience?
  yes
  no
View Results

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:20 am
About bronydom, and my intricate knowledge of it.

So as well all know "the talk" is a daunting and scary experience for all involved. not knowing how either side will react...So this is my story.

Background: Recently (since dad is on leave, and I am at home bludging off my parents again whilst sorting my next job over seas again) dad has been on leave (A month of work, because well he just doesnt take days off and they build up and he is basically forced too) and since we are both night owls, in the small hours of the morning he has put a doco on the comp, and watched it, whilst I have sat across the room playing on my comp watching the doco out of the corner of my way and we would discuss parts of it. For us this is pretty normal. Mainly recently they have been docos on ancient civilisations and debunking the pseudoscience of them.

The set up: Earlier today I watched (though its not finished, Im about halfway in and will finish later http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7I_IDX98g) about what bronydom is. Whilst dad was nearby reading a book (some philosophy book, backing up his character). Anyway I knew he could hear it, but wasnt paying attention to what it was....a important part of laying the foundation for "the talk"

Anyway, he had been downloading some docos earlier for us to watch, and he brought up that he had some for us to watch tonight. And from that I said (something along the lines of), "Cool, did you hear much of that doco I was watching earlier?" He said no, what was it. So I explained that is was a documentary discussing brony culture, and that it is one of the bigger memes on the internet at the moment and past couple years. He asked if that was really a thing, and I said yes and asked "if he thought a particular nz science magazine was a credible media outlet" (yes pretty much like that). And he then gave me a basic history of that mazine about how it started as basically a "tv guide" and became more of a science reader....but basically said yes. Then I proceeded to tell him that about a year and a half ago the magazine did a article on bronys in america, and that they had just recently done a follow up article on briefly explaining what a brony is, and asked if he would like to see it explain the culture. (because he is interested in social transition of culture, he even did some courses in anthropology/sociology). Saying it would be summed up in a four min video (and saying I hadnt seen it either, which I hadnt at that stage). He agreed.

http://www.listener.co.nz/commentary/the-internaut/the-bronies-though-first-it-seems-ironic-soon-enough-its-very-real/ is the article, though I then linked to watch full screen from youtube. And we watched it.

After I talked about how amazing the culture is and that if the people from the "creatives" did those things for a living they would probably be able to make quite a bit from it. Before that video when I explained the typical sex and age of a brony, and that mlpfim is indeed a show targeting girls. he had asked the logical (expected) question about why adults watch it. And I explained Lauren Fausts background experience, and how there were many layers meaning this show was the sort adults could watch and see all the things kids miss, and talked briefly about "rainbow factory". Anyways after explaining about creatives, saying that the community has a lot of interesting spinoffs in art, music, and literature, he asked to watch one of the "spinoffs"....I asked "like a full episode" and I said yes...

the follow through; Knowing I had to seize this opportunity I instantly pulled up a "Sherclop pones" dub mix. Giving just a couple pre-explaination points (Mainly that belle is made out to be a robot for the sake of this Ptake series, and a basic overview of who fluttershy is). As we watched nothing was said, although I laughed at a few inside jokes, and he laughed at a couple outside jokes. I also made a joke about fan service (Seriously ponys massaging ponys...that is pure fan service), and then had to briefly explain fan service XD.

(http://www.derpy.tv/sherclop-pones/friendship-is-witchcraft-neigh-soul-sister-5-video_3790f18ad.html does that work for you now...I know gold couldnt watch the youtube link I posted to it.)

Afterwards I asked what he thought. He said it was okay though he wouldnt understand the refference to "twilight" to which I explained that it was refferencing a actual character, and not that movie, and then gave a brief explaination of who twilight is (since this wasnt a twilight ep).

So, that was that. He was about as indifferent as usual. Though interested enough in the culture. But basically although I didnt say I am a brony (and I dont know if I can really call myself brony...but Im getting there)...I did show that I deeply understood the series, and the subculture.

TLDR Read the title and first line.

Discussion Have you had to come out to your parents about something? How did you go about it, how would you go about it...or are you closeted?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:02 am
^^

I never really had to come out to my parents about anything yet.
Nothing worth telling or nothing that they already know... well, so far.  

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:06 am
xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx
^^

I never really had to come out to my parents about anything yet.
Nothing worth telling or nothing that they already know... well, so far.

fair enough. I am really lucky with how open minded my parents are. But still they generally conform to societal norms of certain types.

Honestly I think if I told (If I was) my parents I was gay it would be more acceptable than saying I watch MLP (without giving the build up).  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 am
Sagebomb
Honestly I think if I told (If I was) my parents I was gay it would be more acceptable than saying I watch MLP (without giving the build up).

I see a surprising number of people online who say that, actually.

I don't really see it as coming out so much as just being enthusiastic about the show. By now there are enough bronies that if a non-brony found my interest in the show strange, then they're just being narrow-minded. I'm pretty sure my whole family is aware.

But yeah, that "Let's Go and Meet the Bronies" video is awesome. I saw it posted on a tumblr I follow by one of the guys who helped make it. Though Sage, just from what I've heard you say about the show, you strike me as a moderate brony, much like myself. I don't think there's any huge need to collect merchandise or go to conventions in order to qualify; so long as you watch the show because you like it (and since you've seen all the episodes, well...), I think counts.  

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

Shannon Kyra Liannanon

Perfect Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 pm
only when it concerns cardboard condos that take up half a room+ heart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:10 pm
I used to not tell anyone that I was a brony/pegasister/follower of the show... then my mom found out when I asked her to buy me the Royal Pony Wedding DVD. I got it, she was ok with it. She actually seemed happy that I wasn't completely into some sort of dark and/or romantic tragedy anime/tv show.

I have a t-shirt now saying that Luna Is Best Princess, and I'm wearing one right now with Celestia at the top, Rainbow dash and fluttershy at the next row... and a bunch of other ponies. I also have rainbow dash headphones. :3

Is it true they removed Ditzy Do (Or Derpy) from the show? I DEMAND REVENGE FOR THE POOR SWEET WALL-EYED PONY! REVEEEEEENNGGEEE~!

PS- the t-shirts were mostly just because I needed new t-shirts of that type. The headphones were just cause they looked cool and because I needed some for my MLP MP3 :3  

Lady_Whitetree

Newbie Noob

8,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Profitable 100
  • First step to fame 200

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:36 pm
Bloorigard2
I used to not tell anyone that I was a brony/pegasister/follower of the show... then my mom found out when I asked her to buy me the Royal Pony Wedding DVD. I got it, she was ok with it. She actually seemed happy that I wasn't completely into some sort of dark and/or romantic tragedy anime/tv show.

I have a t-shirt now saying that Luna Is Best Princess, and I'm wearing one right now with Celestia at the top, Rainbow dash and fluttershy at the next row... and a bunch of other ponies. I also have rainbow dash headphones. :3

Is it true they removed Ditzy Do (Or Derpy) from the show? I DEMAND REVENGE FOR THE POOR SWEET WALL-EYED PONY! REVEEEEEENNGGEEE~!

PS- the t-shirts were mostly just because I needed new t-shirts of that type. The headphones were just cause they looked cool and because I needed some for my MLP MP3 :3

If they did remove Derpy from the show, it kinda makes no sense to me. I mean, they're still selling Derpy merchandise, so why would they get rid of her? Maybe they're just not putting her in EVERY episode anymore because they don't want to pander to the fans...? There are plenty of other background ponies who show up only now and then.

...then again, she hasn't been seen at ALL in season 3, so...I dunno.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:24 pm
GoldDiggingWhore

I don't really see it as coming out so much as just being enthusiastic about the show.

This.

I'm honestly surprised it's a big deal for bronies to come out. I don't see the big deal, but that's just probably because I'm an accepting person... Or I more or less just don't give a sh*t. lol. xP I'm whatever about most things. You like what you like, I like what I like. As my grandmother use to say, "if you don't like it, don't look".  

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm
GoldDiggingWhore

I see a surprising number of people online who say that, actually.

I don't really see it as coming out so much as just being enthusiastic about the show. By now there are enough bronies that if a non-brony found my interest in the show strange, then they're just being narrow-minded. I'm pretty sure my whole family is aware.

But yeah, that "Let's Go and Meet the Bronies" video is awesome. I saw it posted on a tumblr I follow by one of the guys who helped make it. Though Sage, just from what I've heard you say about the show, you strike me as a moderate brony, much like myself. I don't think there's any huge need to collect merchandise or go to conventions in order to qualify; so long as you watch the show because you like it (and since you've seen all the episodes, well...), I think counts.

We live in a world that makes assumptions about men when they do anything related to little children or things with little children. I can name a couple examples where I have been called a *****, just because I worked with children (and not for any other reason)...and thats the sort of ignorance that not only hurts, but can cause a lot of trouble.

Im pretty sure my parents didnt really know about the culture, but they understand cultures. So thats why I went down the cultural route.

I am a moderate, I dont collect toys pertaining to anything. But I would like a couple good brony shirts.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:14 pm
Shannon Kyra Liannanon
only when it concerns cardboard condos that take up half a room+ heart

Nopes XD  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm
Bloorigard2

But dark gory anime is socially acceptable XD

Yeah I made a topic recently in the MLP forum http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/my-little-pony/good-brony-shirts-any-recomendations/t.84438359_1/ asking for good shirt recomendations. Basically Im looking for something that is guyish enough, but still refferences the show, but maybe not directly, and hense may need a brony before they actually notice it.

Though I do kinda want this one, since it does seem kinda me

http://www.redbubble.com/people/northerndash/works/8083175-science

Not quite, from what I understand. The first time derpy appeared it was (supposedly) a animation error. But with fandom the animaters made it him more popular, until as you probally know derpy has a speaking part in "the last round up". Which then (sadly) caused one women to climb on her high horse and charge into hasbro demanding something be done, because when she "googled" derpy, she saw a refference to "mental disability's". She said that having a character act that way, with a mentally disabled name was a outrage....and what not. They basically changed english forms of it to removed the name derpy (though it is still in other language cuts). And since then, derpy is still a round, but back to her previous wheres wally type form.

EDIT: This is the best I could find on the matter from the writter amy keating

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/02/amy-keating-rogers-response-to-derpy.html  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm
xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

This.

I'm honestly surprised it's a big deal for bronies to come out. I don't see the big deal, but that's just probably because I'm an accepting person... Or I more or less just don't give a sh*t. lol. xP I'm whatever about most things. You like what you like, I like what I like. As my grandmother use to say, "if you don't like it, don't look".

I dont see why it would be a deal, to girl. But cultural and societal expectations on the male side call for and expect a much more masculine approach and demor. I agree for me I dont really care what others think, except when it comes to my parents (and in terms of the tees Im looking at getting, if I wear them around camp then the employers).  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

GoldDiggingWhore
Vice Captain

Generous Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:38 pm
xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx
This.

I think it's that people take one fact and automatically start making assumptions based off it. The thing is, a lot of those assumptions have absolutely no basis in the fact that bronies like the show...so it's kinda strange. I'm glad you're awesome and accepting heart

Sagebomb
We live in a world that makes assumptions about men when they do anything related to little children or things with little children. I can name a couple examples where I have been called a *****, just because I worked with children (and not for any other reason)...and thats the sort of ignorance that not only hurts, but can cause a lot of trouble.

Im pretty sure my parents didnt really know about the culture, but they understand cultures. So thats why I went down the cultural route.

I am a moderate, I dont collect toys pertaining to anything. But I would like a couple good brony shirts.

I can understand that. It kinda reminds me of this video though. Hopefully one day ponies will be considered gender neutral and just...aweseome.

Some of the shirts are pretty damn awesome. I only have one right now, but I like it lots~  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:51 pm
GoldDiggingWhore

I can understand that. It kinda reminds me of this video though. Hopefully one day ponies will be considered gender neutral and just...aweseome.

Some of the shirts are pretty damn awesome. I only have one right now, but I like it lots~

True that social perception is transient but change is slow. And change doesnt work when just slapped in the face saying ACCEPT, chance also needs to accept that intollerance is a form of ignorance, and thus easing people into the culture I think works better. As you know most moderates probally started as...I dunno about this, maybe I should see what they are on about...and then checked and changed.

Yeah, I wouldnt mind getting one of these

http://www.welovefine.com/4491-dj-pon-3-led.html  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

xxXSleepy_NinjaXxx

Mega Nerd

15,475 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Nerd 50
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:24 pm
Sagebomb

I dont see why it would be a deal, to girl. But cultural and societal expectations on the male side call for and expect a much more masculine approach and demor. I agree for me I dont really care what others think, except when it comes to my parents (and in terms of the tees Im looking at getting, if I wear them around camp then the employers).

I guess my opinion could be based off the fact that I am a girl.
I hate when men think men have to be masculine.
That's why I like my dad. He doesn't give a sh*t. ^^ He'd call you a f*****t probably, but he'd be only joking around. (...although, sometimes joking like that could be offensive to some people, but he does it out of no harm o.o). He jokes around with my brother a lot because my brother likes men.  
Gold Diggers and Pollwhores

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff