Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gold Diggers and Pollwhores Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild where you can do polls, polls, and more polls. Whist making friends and competing in numerous free competitions 

Tags: polls, gold, anime, active, friends 

Reply Gold Diggers and Pollwhores
Awkwardness

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sound awkward?
  Nah.
  Yes.
View Results

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:14 am
So today I was hanging out with a new-ish friend of mine and he asked why I was single and then either asked me on a pity date or expressed interest in a really unfortunate way, I don't even know. stare
Maybe he was honestly trying to be helpful or something, I don't know, it was all really awkward.
Why do people do these things.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:16 am
Is he socially awkward himself? Quite a few people do things in such awkward ways because they are simply socially awkward. Often if its done on a common scale for most of how they go about life then it may have something to do with the Autism Spectrum. Though for many people they may have certain areas of awkwardness with out the other stuff.

Not saying its the case with him, but having worked with quite a few people on different parts of the autism spectrum it can be quite interesting to see how people with forms of autism will go about things (They will often try and fake behaviors they know they should be doing because they know what is considered right in that situation, yet will fumble through it because even though they know what is considered right, they still cant innately understand it).

I love working/chatting with socially awkward people (Even though in work I am very social, outside of work Im still somewhat socially awkward, though I understand enough about social psychology, body language and such to fake it XD). I find them to be quite interesting since they have a very different world sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYnCr4urTkc (watch this for a brief intro its only 1.5 mins long, quite interesting)

Though maybe he was just trying to be funny...because if he was making fun of you for being single, then essentially he is making fun of himself for being the same.

Maybe hes just had bad experiences before, and didnt want to seem to eager?

Without knowning him more, I couldnt really do more than speculate, but there are several logical reasons for awkward behaviour.  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 am
Sagebomb

Nope, he's usually pretty socially adept. Out of the group of friends that we have in common, I would have said he's the least socially awkward person. I know a few people who fall on the Autism spectrum.

I don't think he was making fun, as such, but it may have been "Aw, that's sad. I feel like I should take you on a date." type thing. He was possibly just really surprised when he found out that I've never gone on one, except then he said some other stuff and now I don't know if he was trying to make me feel better or what, and then it went in the direction of 'Well if I asked you would you go on one with me' and then I had to be all 'probably not' and it was blaaaaargh.

I am extremely awkward with anything related to dating/romance/attraction when applied to myself, and I don't read these situations well. I'm probably getting worked up over nothing, but this kind of thing hits my anxiety buttons.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:46 am
ShadowedMoonlight

I am extremely awkward with anything related to dating/romance/attraction when applied to myself, and I don't read these situations well. I'm probably getting worked up over nothing, but this kind of thing hits my anxiety buttons.

Fair enough.

Yeah it happens. Whilst I tend to be quite good at reading others, and analysing others. I do tend to have limited social interactions outside of work, and have caught myself totally missing situations pertaining to myself several times. I am extremly outward focused. And I really care, and listen to my female friends, and like to look after them...which I few times had lead to them...asking me out...and leaving me in that bad spot of explaining that I value thier friendship and what not, but I wasnt looking for more and yeah...Sometimes its hard to genuinly care deeply about someone with out them thinking your care is a different form of care emo  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:48 am
Sagebomb
ShadowedMoonlight

Fair enough.

Yeah it happens. Whilst I tend to be quite good at reading others, and analysing others. I do tend to have limited social interactions outside of work, and have caught myself totally missing situations pertaining to myself several times. I am extremly outward focused. And I really care, and listen to my female friends, and like to look after them...which I few times had lead to them...asking me out...and leaving me in that bad spot of explaining that I value thier friendship and what not, but I wasnt looking for more and yeah...Sometimes its hard to genuinly care deeply about someone with out them thinking your care is a different form of care emo

People and feelings are so complicated. It's fascinating, but it also makes life really hard sometimes. >_<  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 am
ShadowedMoonlight

People and feelings are so complicated. It's fascinating, but it also makes life really hard sometimes. >_<

Yep, humans be crazy, and our ability to think at many different levels allows for much misunderstanding.

Like I can think about the fact that you are thinking about what I could think you are thinking. Which is something with many levels, yet still something we can do easily enough....but just one error on any of those levels can lead to various mistakes in communication and understanding.  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:35 am
Sagebomb
ShadowedMoonlight

Yep, humans be crazy, and our ability to think at many different levels allows for much misunderstanding.

Like I can think about the fact that you are thinking about what I could think you are thinking. Which is something with many levels, yet still something we can do easily enough....but just one error on any of those levels can lead to various mistakes in communication and understanding.
Exactly! And then each exchange following sheds new perspective on what was previously said and done, and we dwell on that and the possible meanings and use those to formulate our next actions, and it all spirals into madness. xd  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:43 am
ShadowedMoonlight
Exactly! And then each exchange following sheds new perspective on what was previously said and done, and we dwell on that and the possible meanings and use those to formulate our next actions, and it all spirals into madness. xd

Exactly, lack of understanding can often cause massive problems

(Now to get me in big trouble)

Just like talking to a girl about anything during her PMS stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHzjgNoRmjg

Of course I say that in jest, but various brain chemicals in different stages/states and levels can lead futher barriers to communication and understanding.  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:48 am
Sagebomb
ShadowedMoonlight

Exactly, lack of understanding can often cause massive problems

(Now to get me in big trouble)

Just like talking to a girl about anything during her PMS stage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHzjgNoRmjg

Of course I say that in jest, but various brain chemicals in different stages/states and levels can lead futher barriers to communication and understanding.
No, I totally get it. While it's never a good idea to assume anything is because of PMS, some women (myself included) do become somewhat more prone to negative thoughts and reactions. Brain chemicals, they will mess you up.
As my mother once advised my brother: "Never ask a woman if she's PMSing, because if she isn't, she'll kill you, and if she is, she'll kill you."  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:01 am
ShadowedMoonlight
No, I totally get it. While it's never a good idea to assume anything is because of PMS, some women (myself included) do become somewhat more prone to negative thoughts and reactions. Brain chemicals, they will mess you up.
As my mother once advised my brother: "Never ask a woman if she's PMSing, because if she isn't, she'll kill you, and if she is, she'll kill you."

Exactly if you know what to watch for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCwKbUVyHLY

Then you know that when the signs come up, that you just need to accept everything about your existance will be wrong for a while, and not hold it against them during that time.

Though yeah since I pretty much tend to mainly have female friends. I know it presents in a massive range of ways. I know many people who seem to have virtually no emotional changes...but may get horrific cramps etc.

But indeed one should never ask...unless you feel like playing with fire...XD  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:18 am
Update - he was trying to express interest and just chose a really bad way to do it. I found this out when he continued to express interest in ways that failed really hard. I had to shoot him down.

I'd feel bad about it, but the way he was so smug and failed so hard somehow triggers my disdain rather than my sympathy.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:10 am
ShadowedMoonlight
Update - he was trying to express interest and just chose a really bad way to do it. I found this out when he continued to express interest in ways that failed really hard. I had to shoot him down.

I'd feel bad about it, but the way he was so smug and failed so hard somehow triggers my disdain rather than my sympathy.

XD awesome, I figured it was a fail attempt XD  

Sagebomb

Captain

Aged Prophet

41,150 Points
  • 50 Wins 150
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Gold Diggers and Pollwhores

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash