Reply PlayStation 3 Guild
This might sound odd.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DocileCard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:21 am
I have a confession, many of you may feel frightened by the notion. but I want to spread it in a form of hope, not just for the next playstation that may or may not be announced on the 20th. but for all gaming.

I want game systems to lock disks to systems so that used games can not be sold.

this may sound like some form of elitist thing to say "you poor pople don't deserve to get luxury items" or something like that. thats not it. pay attention.

systems end up selling at a loss. the makers are in the mind set of earning money back on software sales. so people who buy used games only are actually hurting the industry. I'm not saying people who do this are bad, however I'll note that it comes down to the price of games. they simply cost to much for this day and age (even noting they used to cost around 100$ when we where kids. at least those of us old enough to remember the backstreet boys.)

You look at game sales on Steam, the games on average are 10$ cheaper. why is that? well one selection of people might say because its not in disk form. I don't think thats the case. I think it's because the copy of the game can't be re-sold an infinite amount of times.

my idea is, that used game sales are no more, then developers don't need to compete with used game sales. they make more money.. enough to drop the price of games.

what if AAA games cost 40$ at launch? the only way I see that being possible is if we cut out used games. we do that, the publishers can make them more affordable to everyone.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 am
but isn't it that why we buy used games is b/c they are alot cheaper?,
as for me i could care less about a franchise who still makes tons of money  

Nekromantlc
Crew

Friendly Fatcat

8,100 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Befriended 100

The Assassin of Chaos

Perfect Garbage

10,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:49 am
The reason people buy used games is usually because they're cheaper. Even someone who is desperate will go for a game that's $1/£1 cheaper than the same game at it's original price. Besides, new industry-related businesses have grown, such as CEX and, indirectly, Ebay because of this. 'Locking' a game to a games system would just be another way the gaming industry would be able to gain more money from those who're barely able to keep themselves in a home and get food.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 pm
Okay, people who can buy new games will, and the people who can't, go for used. Besides, if they did that, people would just get really pissed off and find new ways of getting the games they want. Even through hacking and other illegal methods.

Also, the reason console games cost more, is because a commission fee has to be paid as to have permission to put their game on a console, so they charge more to make up for the fee they have to pay.  

Robotic Draconian

Invisible Phantom

DocileCard

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:53 am
AsasinChaos
The reason people buy used games is usually because they're cheaper. Even someone who is desperate will go for a game that's $1/£1 cheaper than the same game at it's original price. Besides, new industry-related businesses have grown, such as CEX and, indirectly, Ebay because of this. 'Locking' a game to a games system would just be another way the gaming industry would be able to gain more money from those who're barely able to keep themselves in a home and get food.

as I tried to explane, neither xbox, sony, or the publishers care about these people. they support the gaming industry none and shouldn't be blowing money on luxury goods if they have bills to pay instead.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:24 am
DocileCard
AsasinChaos

as I tried to explane, neither xbox, sony, or the publishers care about these people. they support the gaming industry none and shouldn't be blowing money on luxury goods if they have bills to pay instead.

Yes, it's true that used games sellers do not give profit to Sony and co.: However, the people who own the businesses do it so they support themselves. They need money as much as the next person, because it's become our lifeblood, technically. Sony wants the money just because.
Also, there is a sort-of thing like locking; it's with DLCs. You know, when only 2 PS3 systems own one DLC on one account? There's a system which allows you to 'unlock' and uninstall the DLC and make it available to others.  

The Assassin of Chaos

Perfect Garbage

10,050 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Mirri the Sneak

Noble Noob

2,350 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:10 am
While it is a noble idea, it's also a flawed one. If publishers were given more control over their media and content, we would see the prices of games shoot UP due to both greed and pressure from those producing and selling the games.

The reason Steam and GOG are so successful isn't solely because of their business model or that they save on costs from manufacturing or distribution, it's because they don't have to compete directly with Wal-Mart, Target, and other major retailers or rely on them to carry their products.  
PlayStation 3 Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games