Crew

Shadowy Rogue

7,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:05 pm
Quote:
A recent tweet by Geoff Keighley linking a photo of a presentation made at SXSW by Michael Pachter, shows a slide detailing points as to why this next generation of consoles, which essentially soft launched with the Wii U, is going to “possibly” be the last.

Point number one is the “underwhelming” performance of the Wii U, more or less calling it a console version of the DS, adding that it lacks innovation but still may be saved when more titles start shipping for it. He goes on to talk about how the PS4 looks impressive so far and transitions quickly into some speculation on the yet to be announced next gen console from Microsoft.

User Image

All in all the slide doesn’t make a good case for the end of consoles outside of the Wii U sales numbers but in reality Nintendo has made it fairly clear that they don’t care as much about pushing hardware as they may have at one point in time.

In my opinion, if anything is going to kill consoles (as much as it pains me to say it) it’s something that wasn’t mentioned on that slide, and that one thing is Apple. I hope it doesn’t happen though because the shear thought of having to slide my fingers across a glass screen to play every game release from now until the time they burry me is a scary one.

Source

So This guys entire argument basically stems from not liking the WIIU. Someones a Nintendo hater clearly.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 pm
I wouldn't say that is Nintendo hating, I think a point has to be made that I personally think Nintendo are taking a few steps backwards in terms of innovation and the demographics they are trying to target.

Video Game consoles are no longer just consoles they are all purpose entertainment machines just look at services such as Netflix, BBC and Facebook are now part of the console, Something that Nintendo I think are falling behind compared to there rivals

Apple could be a threat, but its unlikely that they try and rival the home console market as they tried to penetrate the games market before and failed with the Apple Pippin. Sure they are a much wiser and much richer company now but that failure will of no doubt left a bitter taste in their mouth. If they do move more in to the games market they will most likely try and compete with download and cloud streaming services such as Steam, Origin and Onlive

However Apple along with Android have almost definitely finished off the portables market that we used to know. As 3DS and PS Vita sales are tanking a bit plus with their games being priced at £30-£45 whilst an engaging quick fix game on the iPhone is less than £3. Consumer habits for portable games has changed a lot in the last few years.

Pokemon is the only real major franchise that can still bring in a high volume of sales (on portable consoles), But its very rare to see one game alone sell any console  

Kite Triblade

Distinct Reveler

7,275 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Partygoer 500

Angelicstubborness

Shy Millionaire

14,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 pm
Games will be around as long as people want to play them in one form or another.
But wii u is kind of doing poorly  
Gaming News

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff